PDA

View Full Version : Loop hikes in SNP

mustang
06-12-2004, 17:03
Hey- I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a loop-hike around 8 miles in Shenandoah that is partly on the AT closer to the DC area. I'm want to do some trail magic and get a hike in at the same time! If you can give driving directions, that would be wonderful!!
Thanks!
Sally

kncats
06-12-2004, 20:00
Check out www.ajheatwole.com/guide (http://www.ajheatwole.com/guide). The web page has numerous circuit hikes listed with differing lengths and difficulties. Just remember, trails leading off of the AT in SNP inevitably lead down which leads to having climb back up again. If you're up for a fairly strenuous hike I highly recommend the White Oak Canyon, Cedar Run, AT loop. I think it's about 8 miles and goes past numerous falls. It's located in the Central section of the park around mile post 46. White Oak Canyon is one of the most popular hikes in the park so it may be crowded around the upper falls. Some what less strenuous is the Mill Prong, Laurel Prong, AT circuit past Camp Hoover. This is about 7.5 miles and is at about mile post 53 on Skyline Drive.

Skyline
06-12-2004, 22:19
The SNP section closest to DC would be the North District. Take I-66 to Exit 13, then US 55 from Linden to US 340 in Front Royal, south on 340 to the SNP Front Royal Entrance station.

If you get PATC's North District SNP map, you'll see more than a half dozen good loops that can involve the A.T.

You didn't say if you'd be backpacking for a few days or if you'd be dayhiking, so it's hard to suggest exact itineraries. However, anything involving Piney Branch, the Overall Run Falls, Jeremys Run, or the Thornton River will be a winner. Each can be part of separate shorter or longer loops that will use the A.T. to complete a circuit.