PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mt. (New York) Trail Head

whywoogy
05-05-2009, 11:45
How is this section? I was told to start at the trailhead near Peekskill. Should I head South or North? Does anyone have some pictures? Any higlights I should see around this area?

Thanks for the input, I am thinking abot hiking part of this section and any/all feedback would help!

cravj1988
05-05-2009, 13:00
watch out for cops in the bear Mt area. they gave me a shake down when i was passing thru in '07. went through all on my stuff. they only found my baggie with vitamin I and tylenol, then tried to tell me it was against the law to have unmarked drugs in a bag. worst experience on the entire trail.

cravj1988
05-05-2009, 13:02
camp on top of black mt. just south of Bear mt. bring your water. its a wonderful spot with views of the manhattan skyline, esp. on a clear night.

Feral Bill
05-05-2009, 14:46
Heading south, I'd make West Mountain my first night, especially with a late start. You may need to carry water. There are several alternative trails heading south across Harriman SP, which are really nice, if you are not married to the AT

whywoogy
05-05-2009, 22:20
camp on top of black mt. just south of Bear mt. bring your water. its a wonderful spot with views of the manhattan skyline, esp. on a clear night.

stinks about the cops..how far south is Black mt. from the trailhead in Peekskill?

Lookin from this online guide another memeber forwarded to me (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) it looks close to 15 miles..can you confirm?

Anyone have word on how the zoo/museum is?

cravj1988
05-06-2009, 08:53
black mt. is about 15 miles from the trail head. as for the zoo, i personally did not like seeing the wildlife in a cage. althought the coke machine was nice. Don't camp around Bear mt. cross the hudson and get back in the woods going NOBO.

HugeHill
05-26-2009, 23:42
I just took the train up from the city on Friday. There's a Metro North hudson line that drops you at Manitou on NY 9 about a mile north of the trail in the evening. Much better walk than from Peekskill. I headed North, camped at a tenting area just beyond anthony's nose, and a had a great run to the CT border (took Metro north back down the wassaic line to the city)

tiptoe
05-27-2009, 17:15
You get views of Manhattan from the West Mt. shelter, which is .6 mi. off the AT. I was there a couple of years ago and watched a spectacular evening lightning display over the nyc skyline.