PDA

View Full Version : N. Carolina AT Camping question

bigben
05-05-2009, 13:16
I'm leaving for my annual section this Friday. We're doing Winding Stair gap to Fontana Dam. After parking at the Hike Inn and getting shuttled to Winding Stair Gap, it'll probably be 4pm before we actually start hiking. I was planning on getting to Siler Bald Shelter that evening. However, if the weather's good, we might just keep hiking. So, I ask you, where is a good place to camp NOBO a mile or 2-3 past the side trail to Siler Bald shelter? Water would be nice, but we can get it on the way if need be. FWIW, here's our trip in a nutshell.

Bigben

Day 1 5/8: Drive from Cincinnati to Fontana, park at the Hike Inn, get shuttled to Winding Stair Gap and hike to Siler Bald shelter, 3.7 miles. We very well may hike farther than this shelter this day and camp out in the woods.
Day 2 5/9: Siler Bald shelter to Cold Spring shelter, 12.1 miles.
Day 3 5/10: Cold Spring shelter to the NOC, stay in hostel, 11.4 miles.
Day 4 5/11: Zero day spent rafting at the NOC, stay at hostel.
Day 5 5/12: NOC to Sassafras Gap shelter, 7 miles. We may continue past this shelter and camp atop Cheoah Bald.
Day 6 5/13: Sassafras Gap shelter to Brown Fork shelter, 9.1 miles.
Day 7 5/14: Brown Fork shelter to Fontana, stay at the Hike Inn, 13 miles.
Day 8 5/15: Drive back to Cincinnati.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 13:30
2 miles past the shelter is a piped spring

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 13:44
Take the bypass and camp on top of Siler Bald.

There's camping spots at Wayah Gap.

Wayah Bald has bathrooms/no water (pit toilets-you may need your own TP) and garbage cans and picnic tables at the end of the parking lot. The tower up there is a good place to see the sunrise.

Wesser Bald tower is a good place to cowboy camp and see the sunrise/sunset and/or moonrise/moonset if you hit it on the full moon.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:11
Take the bypass and camp on top of Siler Bald.

There's camping spots at Wayah Gap.

Wayah Bald has bathrooms/no water (pit toilets-you may need your own TP) and garbage cans and picnic tables at the end of the parking lot. The tower up there is a good place to see the sunrise.

Wesser Bald tower is a good place to cowboy camp and see the sunrise/sunset and/or moonrise/moonset if you hit it on the full moon.

Yea you hit all the great spots on that stretch. I love this section so much, Im going in the am and doing Winding Stair to NOC.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:14
Another thing, the weather here aint that great right now. We are getting rain on the regular right now and it looks like we are going to continue the same trend. With that said, just know that bald camping may be out but there are covered area close by so you can enjoy the partly cloudy daytime. The leaves are in full force so its green, green everywhere and it is awesome. Looking like this area is out of the drought because it is beautiful and we get steady rain.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 14:18
Used to camp on Rocky Bald, but, it may be grown over by now.

AT used to go over the top. Rerouted to the west.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:23
Used to camp on Rocky Bald, but, it may be grown over by now.

AT used to go over the top. Rerouted to the west.
Nope still there. We were there in early April and went up. Its a great spot!!!

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 14:27
Nope still there. We were there in early April and went up. Its a great spot!!!

Definitely one of my faves. I did a hiker feed there a few years back. Pics towards end of my gallery.

Say hi to wakajen.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:28
Definitely one of my faves. I did a hiker feed there a few years back. Pics towards end of my gallery.

Say hi to wakajen.

Wow you did a feed there?

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 14:30
Wow you did a feed there?

Best time I ever had.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 17:15
Best time I ever had.

I could do 18 to get there tom night, leaving me about 10 for Thursday

Doughnut
05-05-2009, 18:16
I camped at (I believe) it's called Wine Springs?? Just before the Wayah Tower, if memory serves. Maps not in front of me.

Great camping easy hike to catch the sun rise at the tower.

DoughNut

Mocs123
05-05-2009, 18:43
I did that exact section less than a month ago. There were plenty of spots to camp along the way and all of the water was flowing well.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 19:36
I camped at (I believe) it's called Wine Springs?? Just before the Wayah Tower, if memory serves. Maps not in front of me.

Great camping easy hike to catch the sun rise at the tower.

DoughNut

Wine Spring Bald. Nice spot.

toothpick
05-05-2009, 19:56
Appalacian Pages trail guide is a very good source of info for finding water on the trail and camping sites.

bigben
05-05-2009, 21:06
Thanks everyone. If it's raining to beat the band we'll probably just go to the shelter, but if not, we'll most probably hike another 2 miles to that piped spring and throw down tents.

Kirby
05-05-2009, 22:06
Please note that it's impossible for the guidebooks to list all the water sources, kinda comes with the nature of the beast.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 07:56
Bigben, doubt Ill see you there but Im heading to winding Stair Gap right now. I really hope you enjoy your hike and hope the weather holds up. Make sure you spend time on top of Siler if the weather holds, you wont be let down. Def take the side trail up to Rocky Bald. Take care and good luck

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 18:36
Tornado warnings have prohibited me from hiking.

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 20:02
Tornado warnings have prohibited me from hiking.
Pu$$Y :D :banana;)

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 21:20
Pu$$Y :D :banana;)

A**hole. :D:D:D

It was really bad when we got to Franklin. Going out for 36 hours and dealing with torrential downpours and lightening doesnt appeal to me. Thanks for the awesome support though buddy.;):cool:

Gray Blazer
05-07-2009, 07:59
A**hole. :D:D:D

It was really bad when we got to Franklin. Going out for 36 hours and dealing with torrential downpours and lightening doesnt appeal to me. Thanks for the awesome support though buddy.;):cool:

I am definitely a pu$$y when it comes to hiking in the rain, much less tornados.