PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners or Boots?

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 14:32
What do you all hike in? My pack is down to sub 7lbs summer base weight and want to re-evaluate my foot wear. Trying to determine best foot wear selection. What are your thoughts? PS - doing Devils Path in 2 weeks and want propers foot wear for the hike.

Reid
05-05-2009, 14:39
I'd say trail runners. It's hard to know how a certain shoe will react. It's best to know how your feet will react. If you havent hiked in a while, you'll probably get some blisters if you go far enough.

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 14:46
I hike regularly and recently tried superfeet in a pair of running shoes. I didn't find them terribly comfortable even after plenty of break in time and wonder if I will have the same out come with trail runners.

jrnj5k
05-05-2009, 15:07
trail runners are most likely all you will need especially with such a low pack weight.

bigcranky
05-05-2009, 15:09
Trail runners or boots? Yes.

garlic08
05-05-2009, 15:12
I use trail runners, New Balance 8XX series.

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 15:13
trail runners are most likely all you will need especially with such a low pack weight.

Thanks Jrnj5k - I have this distinct feeling I know you from some where...

jrnj5k
05-05-2009, 15:18
i doubt that.

Tenderheart
05-05-2009, 15:46
You can still buy the very good, beefy, original New Balance 801. The sight is "aperfectdealer.com". I have dealt with them many times. They don't sell your name and address, and they don't bug you between purchases. This is the shoe I wore in 2000, and my pack weight was a little more than yours.

litefoot 2000

Foyt20
05-05-2009, 15:58
I tried trail runners (although my base weight was no where near yours, around 21 lbs base) and found that my feet were aching around mile 10 or 11. That could have been because of my pack weight, but it also could of been because of the rocks on the section I was doing and I didnt have enough of a shank in my shoes.

Ii just picked up a pair of Merrell Moabs last weekend, for a trip this weekend, and hope that they are the fine line between sneakers and boots.

Summit
05-05-2009, 16:25
Why not try Chaco Z/1 sandals w/socks . . . I'm going to do a 3-day, 30ish miler or so with mine real soon and see how they work for me. Quite a few thrus using them these days . . .

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 16:28
Why not try Chaco Z/1 sandals w/socks . . . I'm going to do a 3-day, 30ish miler or so with mine real soon and see how they work for me. Quite a few thrus using them these days . . .

True there are quite a few doing that. Not sure how comfortable I am... At least for my next trip - Devils Path - it's awfully rocky, I'm concerned about my feet with rocks.

Thank you for all your posts so far - it's helpful!

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 16:29
I tried trail runners (although my base weight was no where near yours, around 21 lbs base) and found that my feet were aching around mile 10 or 11. That could have been because of my pack weight, but it also could of been because of the rocks on the section I was doing and I didnt have enough of a shank in my shoes.

Ii just picked up a pair of Merrell Moabs last weekend, for a trip this weekend, and hope that they are the fine line between sneakers and boots.

Have you tested the Moabs at all yet before your trip? Do you have any preliminary reviews?

Summit
05-05-2009, 16:33
Have you tested the Moabs at all yet before your trip? Do you have any preliminary reviews?I've got a pair with about 300 miles on them. They are very good but then our feet are so doggone peculiar, you won't know if they're right for you until you try them. I can add that they have excellent traction on wet rock, which a lot of trail runners are miserable at.

rainmakerat92
05-05-2009, 16:33
I use Nike Air trail runners with Spenco insoles and cushioned socks; they provide a lot of comfort, they're light and I notice less foot pain and foot fatigue when I use them.

Mine have over 1,000 miles on them, I've reglued the insoles with ShoeGoo once.

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 16:43
I've got a pair with about 300 miles on them. They are very good but then our feet are so doggone peculiar, you won't know if they're right for you until you try them. I can add that they have excellent traction on wet rock, which a lot of trail runners are miserable at.

Awesome, thank you! I'm definitely going to check the Moabs out. Love Merrels with Vibram soles!

rainmakerat92
05-05-2009, 17:10
Last sentence in my previous post should read:

Mine have over 1,000 miles on them, I've reglued the soles with ShoeGoo once.

snowhoe
05-05-2009, 17:30
I must be old school or either I am not afraid to carry stuff in my pack. I have tried trail runners and the roots and rocks kill the bottom of my feet. I vote for the boots. A good pair of boots are WAY better than trail runners I think, but thats just me.

Summit
05-05-2009, 18:32
I must be old school or either I am not afraid to carry stuff in my pack. I have tried trail runners and the roots and rocks kill the bottom of my feet. I vote for the boots. A good pair of boots are WAY better than trail runners I think, but thats just me.Yep, you're old school all right! :) Har har. :p But if that's what you like and your feet like then stick with 'em.

Reid
05-06-2009, 12:57
Teva must be struggling these days. I tore my chaco's to pieces on one 80 mile stretch of trail last year. My teva voltarre's still kicking after all these years.

Foyt20
05-06-2009, 13:19
No prelim reviews other than I can walk and Drive in them :D I have just been wearing them to work this week, as it has been raining cats and dogs all week, so no outside time for me.

Bear Cables
05-06-2009, 21:59
I just switch from a boot to a Soloman trail shoe. Hike my first 20 mile trek with them and no problems, very comfortable with a pack wt. of 28lb

EasternBox
05-09-2009, 15:32
I have always worn trail runners. Right now I have the low end Salomons and they are great. Not water proof, but they are ventilated well so if they get wet they usually dry up at night before hitting the trail again. Boots bother me because they restrict certain ankle movements, which is probably a good thing for hikers with ankle problems.

volks-man
05-09-2009, 17:52
I have always worn trail runners. Right now I have the low end Salomons and they are great. Not water proof, but they are ventilated well so if they get wet they usually dry up at night before hitting the trail again. Boots bother me because they restrict certain ankle movements, which is probably a good thing for hikers with ankle problems.
im with you.:)

even mids restrict my ankles.:mad: i have one pair of hi-tec mids i have been trying to give away. the shoes wear fine, but on the trail and at work (i wore them a few days to break in) they just kept tweaking something in my left ankle area... a tendon or something on the inner side, and a little achilles pain. low tops from now on!

trail runners!!!

EasternBox
05-09-2009, 20:19
im with you.:)

even mids restrict my ankles.:mad: i have one pair of hi-tec mids i have been trying to give away. the shoes wear fine, but on the trail and at work (i wore them a few days to break in) they just kept tweaking something in my left ankle area... a tendon or something on the inner side, and a little achilles pain. low tops from now on!

trail runners!!!

That is exactly what happens to me when I wear mids! That tendon on the inside of your foot moving around. Oh man, it's worse than nails on a chalkboard.

2rjs
05-17-2009, 18:51
Trail runners for me except when I'm bushwacking trailess areas. Then I'll use hikers for the extra protection.

GrubbyJohn
05-17-2009, 19:04
old school here. also give me a boot with ankle support for my bird legs.

fiddlehead
05-18-2009, 05:21
10+ years ago, this thread would've had a few Limmer supporters saying they'd die before giving up their boots.
I believe some of these people are still hiking but I seriously doubt they are doing it in Limmers.

Times sure have changed.