PDA

View Full Version : a dreamer and his special kid

pahillbillybear
05-05-2009, 16:12
I'm a dreamer. I would love to build a wooden boat someday. I've looked into some classes and I've conversed with some folks on woodenboat.com. I remember when I was about 15 (I'm 45 now) looking at a brochure of this really cool bicycle route that extended clear across the country. I thought how neat it would be to do that. I told my sister one time that I'd like to move to Alaska and live in the wilderness. I think this would be the ultimate. I told her that when I died, the bears could have my body. She thought this was ridiculous. What about my family? How would they know what happened to me? What about my burial? About 8 years ago my family and I stopped talking, so I guess that is a moot point. I've also always wanted to hike the AT. Funny thing is, I don't know why. I have a 15 year old son who is a high functioning autistic. He is very verbal. He thinks he and his old man can do this. The year he graduates from HS, I think I am going to take him to Great Slave Lake. This is located in The North West Territories of Canada. It's a huge lake with lots of huge lake trout. The following year, I want to do the AT. If we do the lake when he graduates, this will give the water time to melt as the McKenzie doesn't thaw until early June. This will be advantagous to getting a good start the next year on the AT. I imagine we'll be there, Lord willing, around April 1 same as most others. I've gotta get some weight off (about 50 lbs.)We're going to start doing some day hikes this summer. We are also going to take a shot at using some homemade gear. Not sure how it'll work, but we've got five years to shake it down. I think my son and I feed off one another. He is big and strong with a bit of a mind that operates a bit different (although intelligent in some ways. He's taking algebra and guitar) and I've got these bad knees. He is my hero in many ways and he looks at me like I'm the man. I can't think of a better partner. I'm sure we can complete the trail. I'm sure we'll have a blast catching a few 30 pound lake trout. I also think we can build a decent 14-16 foot wooden sailboat. DREAMER????? Yeah, I am.

tenbeer
05-05-2009, 17:12
I'm a dreamer. I would love to build a wooden boat someday. I've looked into some classes and I've conversed with some folks on woodenboat.com. I remember when I was about 15 (I'm 45 now) looking at a brochure of this really cool bicycle route that extended clear across the country. I thought how neat it would be to do that. I told my sister one time that I'd like to move to Alaska and live in the wilderness. I think this would be the ultimate. I told her that when I died, the bears could have my body. She thought this was ridiculous. What about my family? How would they know what happened to me? What about my burial? About 8 years ago my family and I stopped talking, so I guess that is a moot point. I've also always wanted to hike the AT. Funny thing is, I don't know why. I have a 15 year old son who is a high functioning autistic. He is very verbal. He thinks he and his old man can do this. The year he graduates from HS, I think I am going to take him to Great Slave Lake. This is located in The North West Territories of Canada. It's a huge lake with lots of huge lake trout. The following year, I want to do the AT. If we do the lake when he graduates, this will give the water time to melt as the McKenzie doesn't thaw until early June. This will be advantagous to getting a good start the next year on the AT. I imagine we'll be there, Lord willing, around April 1 same as most others. I've gotta get some weight off (about 50 lbs.)We're going to start doing some day hikes this summer. We are also going to take a shot at using some homemade gear. Not sure how it'll work, but we've got five years to shake it down. I think my son and I feed off one another. He is big and strong with a bit of a mind that operates a bit different (although intelligent in some ways. He's taking algebra and guitar) and I've got these bad knees. He is my hero in many ways and he looks at me like I'm the man. I can't think of a better partner. I'm sure we can complete the trail. I'm sure we'll have a blast catching a few 30 pound lake trout. I also think we can build a decent 14-16 foot wooden sailboat. DREAMER????? Yeah, I am.
I have an autistic 1st cousin who loves to walk, I think this would be a great activity for your son.

Blissful
05-05-2009, 19:51
Sounds like a great start to seeing a great dream fulfilled. I dreamt mine for 30 years. And it was fulfilled in '07 with my then 16 yr old. I talked about him and I doing the trail together when he was only 3. :)

Feral Bill
05-05-2009, 20:19
:welcomeWelcome to WhiteBlaze. (I see this is your first post) Following your dreams with your son is fabulous. And don't forget to go after some pike up north.

FB

mister krabs
05-06-2009, 15:50
I think you can build a boat, check this (http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/cs15.htm) and this (http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISplan.html) sweet design, simple fast plywood.

Good luck with your son, you are taking what many would consider a cross to bear and turning it into a life enriching challenge that many would envy.

Reid
05-06-2009, 16:18
Good luck!

pahillbillybear
05-06-2009, 16:30
Thanks for the note. I really don't like the Core Sound. The Goat Is. Skiff looks simple and nice though. But I imagine we will most likely go with a Devlin design. The Egret http://www.devlinboat.com/egret.htm (http://www.devlinboat.com/egret.htm)
is really a cool little boat and supposedly simple.
The dream is to have a nice one though, like this.
http://www.devlinboat.com/kestrel.htm (http://www.devlinboat.com/kestrel.htm)
Don't know how likely that is, but it is nice to dream. The egret would be a great little boat to trailer up to Yellowknife and launch out into Great Slave Lake. I could really load it up with a month or two of supplys and go. Must not forget the daypack. I'm certain there is good hiking in that area.

spindle
05-07-2009, 19:00
I think you can do all that. Good luck and keep dreaming. :)

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 19:04

I am a direct care worker for individuals with autism and think that hiking with someone that is high functioning is an excellent idea. Good luck.

MOWGLI
05-07-2009, 19:09
My parents built a 46' ferro cement ketch on the side of our house when I was growing up. You can do it.

Good luck on the adventures with your son!

Jayboflavin04
05-09-2009, 00:35
I am a dreamer also! I just need to get my head outta my butt and make my dreams happen. You and your son enjoy making your dreams come true. Sound like a blast enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

Doctari
05-09-2009, 00:58
I have 2 words for the 2 of you: Go hiking! :p

Yea, OK, so I can't count. I still think you should go.