PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty?

ATAlbatross
05-05-2009, 16:51
I am considering taking my dog on my 3 month hike come June. The question is not if he can do it, but how difficult is it really to bring a dog along on the journey. Like most people request, please no bashing of dogs on trail.

Phreak
05-05-2009, 20:48
A well-trained dog is not difficult to hike with.

SteveJ
05-05-2009, 21:14
I am considering taking my dog on my 3 month hike come June. The question is not if he can do it, but how difficult is it really to bring a dog along on the journey. Like most people request, please no bashing of dogs on trail.

I haven't done a long (multi-month) hike with my dog, but have done several week-long trips, and many (she has about 400 trail miles) weekend trips.

When you hike with a dog (or a child, or girlfriend/wife, or anyone else for whom you are responsible), it's not your hike, it's theirs. You have to put the dog's needs before yours.

In many places, your dog won't be welcome (many hostels, virtually all shelters, restaurants, bars, etc.). That means you have to give up the opportunity to go there. Lone Wolf's description in a post a few months back of someone at a bar who tied their dog to a parking meter outside in the sun was really disheartening.....

As long as you understand that, and understand that the dog will have an impact on your hike, you should be good!

What kind of dog? Pics?

Just noticed you're fairly new to whiteblaze! :welcome

karoberts
05-05-2009, 21:21
I take my dog with me on my long sections. Here are problems I have encountered.

1) wet dog in tent when it rains
2) ticks, 30-40 per day on dog
3) some people will be offended by your dog (whatever you do, NEVER bring dog into shelters)
4) you must tie dog up when you resupply, dog might whine or bark (also inconvenient when you want to do laundry, go to a restaurant, etc.)
5) fewer places to stay in town
6) dog will lose weight, try to fatten before starting hike
7) dogs are not welcome at many public place like PenMar Park, beaches, etc.
8) BIGGEST PROBLEM: getting to and from the trail - dogs are not allowed on buses or trains

puddingboy
05-05-2009, 22:05
karoberts I completely agree on the ticks, does anyone know if dogs can get lyme diesease, is there any way to prevent ticks for your dog?

karoberts
05-05-2009, 22:20
Yes, there is a lyme disease vaccine for dogs.

hiketech
05-06-2009, 02:45
Yes, there is a vaccine, but you should take care to remove them ASAP. My girlfriend (she is studying vet med and works at a vet clinic/daycare facility), who happens to be joining me along with her 3 dogs (10,15 and 20lb. pups, all with over 200 trail miles and adding roughly 20 per week) on a thruhike next year, has informed me recently that the vaccine works with varying results, so just be careful. We also use a combination of flea/tick collar and Frontline. Many are compatible with one another, though you must be mindful of possible allergic reactions from collars. I'm especially knowlegeable on this subject, as we recently completed a 15 mile dayhike along/near Jeremey's Run in SNP and found over 150 ticks (I'm not even kidding you) on her youngest, and a similar number split between the other two. We've been researching ever since.

There are also vaccines that protect dogs from many of the nasties found in stagnant water (the youngest of her pups is a grazer and likes to also drink at every stream, pond or puddle).

As for wet dogs, we've been using Sham Wow rags to clean them as they enter our tent. We've trained them to enter one at a time, and we dry them as they enter. They work suprisingly well. They also work great for managing excess condensation or drying off our tent.

As said above, fattening them up is not a bad idea, and using high calorie food on the trail is a must as well.

Also, training your dog to behave well around others, to be respectful of strangers, controled around wildlife, etc., makes hiking much more enjoyable for you both. It's true that many hikers don't like dogs on the trail, but that doesn't mean they don't like dogs. Just unruly dogs that are a direct result of poor owners. Just hike with them often, get them used to people, other dogs, and accustomed to wildlife, and you'll be okay.

In towns, we have the advantage of hiking together, so we're not constrained so much by having dogs. We're not the overly social type, so shelters, motels, and what not are of no concern to us, but being able to go to laundromats, stores, and so forth without worrying over what to do with the dogs is a great relief.

I almost forgot, are you planning on having your dog examined on the trail? We're planning on routinely having our pups checked out, perhaps every 3 or 4 weeks. They're trail saavy, go running, biking, and roller blading often, and are very active, but we want to keep an eye on the stresses the trail may place on them. At the very least, you might want to get some contact info for vets along the way.

Lyle
05-06-2009, 06:43
Edit.........

JAK
05-06-2009, 08:07
I don't like people.

bigcranky
05-06-2009, 15:26
It's true that many hikers don't like dogs on the trail, but that doesn't mean they don't like dogs. Just unruly dogs that are a direct result of poor owners.

This sums up the dog issue in two sentences. Very well put.

They're trail saavy, go running, biking, and roller blading often, and are very active,

Your dogs can roller blade? That is too cool.... <grin>

2011_thruhiker
05-06-2009, 15:33
karoberts I completely agree on the ticks, does anyone know if dogs can get lyme diesease, is there any way to prevent ticks for your dog?

Yes, and there is a test for it-gives results in 10 mins called the SNAPP triple combo test-your vet can do it for you. One of my dogs just tested positive for it and heartworm-the lyme disease is treated with 21 days of doxycycline but the heartworm is another story-he is now off the trail for 2 years min.-vet's orders.

So now my other GSD is now getting on the trail....

sly dog
05-06-2009, 18:12
FYI, I take my beagle on day hikes but being a short legged dog he does not like the PA rock and boulder fields.I am sure even a long leg dog can have some trouble here and keep an eye out for the rattlers, if your dog hikes in front of you it can be a bit dangerous for him.

Valentine
05-06-2009, 18:18
[quote=karoberts;833065]I take my dog with me on my long sections. Here are problems I have encountered.

Really? 30-40 per day? I pull one off a week. What kind of flea/ tick protection are you using?

Valentine
05-06-2009, 18:19
That's ok. They probably don't like you either.:)

clegg318
05-09-2009, 22:56
[quote=karoberts;833065]I take my dog with me on my long sections. Here are problems I have encountered.

Really? 30-40 per day? I pull one off a week. What kind of flea/ tick protection are you using?

I use Frontline...I recently took my puggle for a day hike and she only came out with one tick (that I found 6 hrs later).....
once i read all these posts I rechecked my dog right away but still didnt see any, im thinking her short hair and the frontline worked out for her. What kind of protection do you use and what kind of dog? long or short hair?

karoberts
05-10-2009, 12:02
My dog has short hair and I use Promeris.