PDA

View Full Version : Demise of Kodachrome

DebW
06-13-2004, 10:11
OK, Kodachrome slide film isn't really gone, but Kodak's stated reason for discontinuing the manufacture of slide projectors has become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Went to my local camera shop this week to get some slide film developed and was told that Kodak is no longer picking up Kodachrome from the shop for 2 day processing. Now they will sell you a mailer to send in the film (and several days later the shop was out of mailers and having trouble getting more). Kodak is obviously trying to phase out slide film and encourage everyone to go digital. The "encouragement" isn't too subtle.

Kozmic Zian
06-13-2004, 10:46
Yea......Film Cameras. You're right Deb. Digital processing and availability of computers has drawn the curtain on the analog era of photography. Like the venerable and great sounding Stereo LP vinyl album, still better that the new digital CD's for music reproduction....the analog film development process, takes too long and is way too expensive an application for it to continue to be popular, eventhough the process produces 'better' quality photos, and artists and serious photographers will still continue to develop using these 'outdated' film processes. Se La Vie.....in the name of progress we evolve. KZ@

MOWGLI
06-13-2004, 10:59
I love my Kodak slide projector. I have tons of slides. When I changed careers in 2003 I was given a PowerPoint presentation and asked to use it. I was reluctant at first, but have since adopted the technology and have a ever-increasing number of great digital images from the Southern Appalachians.

I love the flexibility of PowerPoint, and how you can add text to an image at the drop of a hat. I have also taken photos on the way to make a presentation, and dropped them into the slideshow within an hour or so of taking them. You can't do that with slide transparencies.

My photos from my hike in 2000 are slide format. I guess it's just a matter of time before I scan the images and make a PowerPoint presentation.

Yeah, I'm still an analog guy living in a digital world.

illininagel
06-13-2004, 16:31
I must have at least 10,000 slides that were shot with good old Kodachrome ASA 25. Due to the slow film speed, the vast majority of those photos required using a solid tripod. The payoff was the incredibly fine grain...each slide had the potential to turn into a gem.

I welcome the advances in technology. My only issues involve investing in a comparable Nikon digital camera and converting thousands of slides into digital formats. I'm now waiting for the costs to decline on both of these fronts.

Let's face it...slide film had its day. But, I usually shot landscapes 4 times at different exposures to be sure I got it right. I wouldn't know for sure what I had until I got my slides back from the lab 7 to 10 days later. Color darkrooms were cost prohibitive. Now, my computer can be my darkroom. The new technology is catching on for a reason.

Tim Seaver
06-14-2004, 16:25
Kodachrome processing requires special chemistry that most labs simply don't have. Kodak still makes plenty of slide film that uses the more common E-6 processing. I shoot mostly Fuji Velvia slide film, which is now available in ASA 100. Slides continue to be the mainstay for most professional photogs, as that is what most magazine editors are still requesting, although digital is certainly making some inroads. One of the best qualitities of Kodachrome was it's longevity in storage, which is far longer than any E-6 emulsion available.
The new Velvia 100 is supposedly slightly sharper than the old 50 speed version, but retains the same saturated palette. Kodachrome may be on the way out, but slide film is FAR from being "dead"!

MOWGLI
06-14-2004, 16:37
The new Velvia 100 is supposedly slightly sharper than the old 50 speed version, but retains the same saturated palette.

Fuji Velvia is my slide film of choice! It makes even an amateur like me appear to be a pro photographer on at least 3-4 slides out of a roll of 36. I love those deep blues & greens!

java
06-18-2004, 23:18
Alas, slide film is alive and well. It is still a major part of the photography industry. I, and many other photographers use it every day.
Kodachrome is what is called K-14 process, and it has always (in recent memory) been much less common that E-6 process slide films such as Ektachrome, Provia, Velvia, etc.
So, if you switch to an E-6 film you shouldn't have any problem finding a local lab that can process it.
Good luck! I love my slide film, and my heavy camera! :D
-java

hiker5
06-19-2004, 00:38
All this talk of Kodachrome just makes me think of Paul Simon...

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day :sun , oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

steve hiker
06-19-2004, 01:39
Wonder if Kodak got some nice bright greens for letting Simon use those lyrics. Or maybe just some free advertising.

Mausalot
06-23-2004, 03:40
I do not agree that LPs are better than CDs because in the real world, most of us scratched and damaged our LPs. However, I can really hear the difference between most MP3s and CDs.

That said, digital will soon supplant film but 35mm is still best in most cases. The problem with digital still cameras is that most of the digital still cameras still have shutter lag (1-3 seconds) between when you press the shutter and the picture is taken. And the lenses on all but the most prohibitive are still point and shoot small ones.

Cameraman :dance