PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag - help!

Karrmer
05-05-2009, 19:05
Mildly long explanation of needs: Planning on a thru hike in 2010, but prior to that (and after to that) will be hiking/hitch hiking/backpacking/etc in the United States, Canada, New Zealand, etc.

I am a big fan of winter and the snow, and love to hike out when it's snowing and very cold. I enjoy cold. Cold is awesome.

Consequently I am looking for a bag that will allow me to do... almost anything? One single bag that I can keep in my pack. I'm quitting my job and won't have much in the way of funds afterwards, but for now I have a reasonable sum of disposable income so I want to create a gear set that I will hopefully have no issues with for years to come (the pieces that should last, I mean.)

So I came to these bags: Any idea what I should go with?

Marmot Lithium 0*
Marmot Helium 20*
Campmor 20* or 0*

OR: Montbell UL -20* EXP down, which is on sale at backcountry.com for 435 dollars

Is the montbell a good bag? Will it last? And will it work well in very cold temps - while simultaneously working in warmer temps? Can I just kinda lay on top of it and make something happen?

I hope any of this made sense.

ps. using an Osprey Aether 70 pack and Big Agnes Seedless SL2 tent

The Will
05-05-2009, 19:24
My opinion is that the -20 would be overkill for most of the conditions you'll encounter. Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable with bag rated to only to 20.

I'd shoot for the 0-15 range. I've taken my 10 degree bag down to minus -20 in the canadian winter. That is not ideal but it worked when combined with full long-johns, hat, vapor barrier liner, a couple of hot water bottles and a very dense closed-cell foam pad.

Sounds like a great time. I hope to revisit that time of my life...someday soon.

Foyt20
05-05-2009, 20:41
Remember to take your crampons off before you get in. :D

garlic08
05-05-2009, 21:58
My Marmot Helium is rated 15F. I've had it out in single digits and have survived. It's an excellent bag. I was lucky and got it on sale. My first down bag was a Campmor 20, and it was barely good at 20, brand new. Price was right, though.

Tinker
05-05-2009, 22:02
One bag for all purposes? Stephenson Warmlite triple bag with built in down filled air mattress. It's a littl heavy in the winter configuration at around 6 lbs. depending upon size, but that includes a comfy 2-1/2" thick featherbed :).

Expensive? - You bet.
Handmade in New Hampshire.

Rosborn88
05-05-2009, 22:43
personally, I'd stay away from the campmor bags. They are filled with 650 down. want a versitle bag - shoot for 800+++ fill. Have you considered western mountaineering? You can also consider a 0 bag and use it as a quilt in warmer conditions. When its really, really cold use a rip stop silk liner. Let us know what you choose. I'm also looking for a new bag now.

Lorcatronik
05-05-2009, 23:46
Check out the Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree bag. I just bought one today, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it's been reviewed well and only weighs a few extra ounces than the helium. Also, it's on sale right now for $229 at REI during their big sale going on right now. Retail is $329. And no, I don't work there.

Karrmer
05-06-2009, 06:28
Yea I messed up on the Helium rating. I looked into WM bags, they were definitely amazing looking but I opted to order a Lithium with my REI 20% off coupon for 370 bucks. Hope it works out - thanks for the tips!

bigcranky
05-06-2009, 07:13
I would make sure any bag I bought had a full-length zipper, as this will extend the comfort range (it can then be draped over you as a quilt when the temps go up.)

My wife has the Montbell 0-F bag. It's quite something. Make SURE you try it on before you order -- they run short in our experience, so you'll likely want a longer bag than your "normal" size. (My 5-4 wife has two Montbell bags, both are Long size.) Unless you know you will be in sub-zero temperatures, I would buy a 0-10F rated bag.

jrnj5k
05-06-2009, 09:23
well for a thru hike the campmor bag will work and its the cheapest. Montbell, Marmot, and Western Mountaineering bags use higher loft down, some use half length zippers to save weight and they usully have draft collars which the campmor bag doesn't have. If your willing to spend the money the lightest and best bag in my opinion is Western Mountaineering. Also when looking at bags consider that the lighter the materials that are used to make them are the more delicate the bags are so take into account how rough you are on your gear...

good luck