PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream In Kent Ct!

bco94
05-05-2009, 19:22
Backcountry Outfitters in Kent, CT has added a full service ice cream parlor Called Annie Bananie Ice Cream to their shop in the center of Kent. Light lunch is available on weekends. Contact phone is through the outfitters store at 860-927-3377. Tentative hours are Sun.-Thurs. 9-6, Fri & Sat 9-8.

kyhipo
05-05-2009, 19:48
Backcountry Outfitters in Kent, CT has added a full service ice cream parlor Called Annie Bananie Ice Cream to their shop in the center of Kent. Light lunch is available on weekends. Contact phone is through the outfitters store at 860-927-3377. Tentative hours are Sun.-Thurs. 9-6, Fri & Sat 9-8.I wander If they still have that nice coffee shop their as well stayed up their,and worked for awhile,they where from spain,they was good people and probably still remember kentucky.

Kirby
05-09-2009, 18:48
Cool town.

Except for the fact that the locals were rather rude.

hawkeye
05-09-2009, 18:52
Cool town.

That's New England charm!

Ox97GaMe
05-09-2009, 23:39
I loved the ice cream place that was in Kent when I hiked there in 97. Guess it went out of business if they had to open another one in the town. I would say the town isnt big enough to support 2 ice cream parlors. I got almond, coconut, raspberry ice cream when I was there. YUMMY.

Alaskanhkr23
05-10-2009, 00:02
Really!!!! is it near Bulls bridge??

bikebum1975
05-10-2009, 01:02
That's New England charm!

Not all New Englanders are rude just the snooty ones. LOL

Downhill Trucker
05-11-2009, 05:39
Cool town.

I hate Kent, CT. Ended a section hike when I got Lyme and waited for my ride from Baltimore there. The people sucked. Just my two cents...

Old Grouse
05-11-2009, 10:25
Though it may be cold comfort (no pun intended, though this is a thread about ice cream), a lot of Kent residents are from somewhere else. It's a fairly popular place for the well-heeled to retire and pretend to be country gentlemen. Business has taken me there a number of times and I've found the locals (town hall clerks, etc) to be quite pleasant. Of course, one does tend to get a different reception when wearing a Brooks Bros suit, rather than hiking duds with a few days' funk on them.

bco94
05-11-2009, 16:22
It's amazing that a simple thread on an ice cream place opening could turn into a Kent bashing. There are jerks everywhere. I don't care what town you go to, if you talk to 10 people 3 of them are going to be jerks. My 2 cents.

Old Grouse
05-11-2009, 21:15
It's amazing that a simple thread on an ice cream place opening could turn into a Kent bashing. There are jerks everywhere. I don't care what town you go to, if you talk to 10 people 3 of them are going to be jerks. My 2 cents.

Agreed, and I'm definitely going to patronize the ice cream shop next time I'm in town.

1azarus
05-12-2009, 11:23
Really!!!! is it near Bulls bridge??
'bout 7 miles north of Bull's Bridge... and thanks for your Hanover ride try...

Manwich
05-12-2009, 11:29
I've got family in Kent, CT and I know two dozen locals. I still have yet to meet someone who actually lives in CT (and isn't visiting from snooty Sharon) who doesn't A) Hike, B) Offer gratis services to Hikers or C) Stops in a heartbeat for a hiker's thumb.

Just a Hiker
05-12-2009, 11:32
Kent, CT is what it is.....they don't claim to be a big hiker town; however, Kent is handy and has everything a hiker needs for resupply, restaurant food, laundry...ect.

sasquatch2014
05-14-2009, 21:38
I'll have to check out the new Ice Cream place next time I am up that way. If you don't like Kent you can always hike south to Pawling in NY. Give me a call and I'll take you to our Ice Cream spot.

Yahtzee
05-14-2009, 23:04
Kent rocks! Plenty of great people in Kent. The pizza pub is fantastic. The owner is a true gent. The dive bar is a genuine dive. Great food in town. Great stealth camping in the park. I look forward to Kent moreso than most well-known hiker towns.

sasquatch2014
05-15-2009, 08:01
Kent rocks! Plenty of great people in Kent. The pizza pub is fantastic. The owner is a true gent. The dive bar is a genuine dive. Great food in town. Great stealth camping in the park. I look forward to Kent moreso than most well-known hiker towns.

yeah but do they have train service from NYC? Nope but Pawling does. Mama's Pizza will deliver Pizza as far out as the Dover Oak or the AT Train Stop/Native Landscape.

Yahtzee
05-15-2009, 09:32
Hey, Sasq, I love me some Pawling, too. The northern N.Y./Southern Ct. section is one of my favorite sections on the trail. Pawling has the friendly library, good eats, nifty little bar and the pavilion above the swimming area. All good things. But it sure is nice to head from Pawling and know Kent is just a day away.

greenmtnboy
05-20-2009, 11:22
Kent is a great town. Intelligent, liberal-minded folks, who have limited the sort of sprawl that has ruined other towns. Plus, Henry Kissinger has a compound there. Don't ask for directions.

mikec
05-20-2009, 12:09
I've visited Kent 3 times during my section hiking within the last 10 years and I thought it was a nice town. The outfitter is a good guy so I hope that his ice cream parlor helps his business.

Spokes
08-26-2009, 15:23
I wasn't really impressed with Backcountry Outfitters in Kent, CT. this year. The proprietors seemed like nice people but the place was more like a clothing store/ice cream parlor masquerading as an Outfitter. They were woefully understocked on basic hiker supplies and charged way too much for access on an extremely slow internet connection.

Hope they get better for the class of 2010's sake.

RITBlake
08-26-2009, 16:06

It's as predictable as the tides. ANY thread related to Kent, CT turns in to Kent bashing. Nothing wrong w/ the folks in Kent just spoiled hikers used to people bending over backwards for them. The town was there a long long time before the trail was blazed near Kent.

Old Grouse
08-26-2009, 20:25
Well, they do have a very nice public bathroom.

Spokes
08-27-2009, 07:47
Well, they do have a very nice public bathroom.

hehehehehehehe

Tipi Walter
08-27-2009, 08:00
Speaking of ice cream and backpacking, has anyone ever humped out a pint or two? One time during a long trip out to Lost Valley in NC, I stopped on foot at a grocery store and got two pints of Haagen Daz honey vanilla, packed it away, and by the time I reached my campsite deep inside Lost Valley, both pints were melted and in liquid form. Simple solution, I drank them in quick succession. NOT RECOMMENDED. I got a weird dairy-honey headrush. Who wouldn't?

sasquatch2014
08-27-2009, 20:29
The out fitter should be more correctly called an with in school grounds fitter. I met two hikers earlier this year to hike with them out of kent after meeting them back in Pawling. One had lost his pot to a strong breeze and the ten mile river. The store did not have a cook set that a backpacker would care to carry unless you planned to cook for 10 or more.

I will give credit when the local ice cream stop closed down they saw a need and filled it and opened a shop in their "outfitter store" at least there is still ice cream.

Rockhound
08-27-2009, 21:05
Kent is a great town. Intelligent, liberal-minded folks, who have limited the sort of sprawl that has ruined other towns. Plus, Henry Kissinger has a compound there. Don't ask for directions.
Is it true Kent residents refer to hikers as "useless breeders"?

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 21:07

they're correct

RITBlake
08-27-2009, 23:54

99% of Kent residents refer to hikers as "hikers"

Spokes
08-28-2009, 05:30
Most thru's have a pretty good sense of perception when walking into a town. The Kent "vibe" was, well, not all that friendly. Lot's of thousand mile stares from the locals.......

-Spokes

RITBlake
08-28-2009, 11:06
Most thru's have a pretty good sense of perception when walking into a town. The Kent "vibe" was, well, not all that friendly. Lot's of thousand mile stares from the locals.......

-Spokes

What did you want a hug and a red carpet?

Not Sunshine
09-27-2009, 15:52
I just talked to Dave, co-owner of the outfitter, and got a quick update that his store is STILL open - and accepts mail drops (UPS, USPS, and fedex). He also mentioned that the owner of Curves offers showers for $10. Wish I knew if there were laundry services there.

slowandlow
09-28-2009, 14:29
I don't know if it is still there, but there was a laundromat in Kent in 08.

Spokes
09-28-2009, 14:44

No, but a decent outfitter actually stocked with "real thru-hiker supplies" and a laundromat that didn't have a posted list of do's and don't that resembled the rulebook for International Chess play would have helped.

RITBlake
09-29-2009, 01:07
No, but a decent outfitter actually stocked with "real thru-hiker supplies" and a laundromat that didn't have a posted list of do's and don't that resembled the rulebook for International Chess play would have helped.

Oh dear, thanks for making my case. Only a thru hiker could find a business posting "rules" offensive.

yaduck9
09-29-2009, 09:15

Are you a former resident?:rolleyes:

Jerryatric
07-23-2010, 11:38
I spent a zero day in Kent last summer, and enjoyed my time there. It was a bit pricey, however, but no surprise. I stayed at a local hotel.....hiker rate was approximately $120.00 per night on the weekend. While in town I purchased a new rain jacket at the outfitters...it was also a little on the pricey side, but I had no choice....a daily monsoon and my old rain jacket had given up the ghost. Several good places to eat, a good food market, a convenient laundrymat, etc. Everyone I met was really friendly. If I had it to do over, I'd probably not take a zero day there due to the cost of lodging.

Old Grouse
07-23-2010, 12:04
Last week I was chatting with a young thru hiker in the West Cornwall area. She was with a friend she had rendezvou'd with in Pawling. Both felt they'd been treated OK in Kent - in fact, better than in Pawling.

Appalachian Tater
07-23-2010, 17:53
Oh for heavens sake, people are complaining about Kent again. :rolleyes:

It's not a trail town that caters to hikers with a hostel or camping on the town green but the people who live and work there in Post Office, grocery store, outfitters, etc. are very nice. It's close to the trail and a nice place to spend the day--and now they even have a laundry. :)

Yes, the place is crawling with tourists who probably think the thru-hikers are homeless bums because they simply don't know the difference. And since 90% of all thru-hikers look like dirty, filthy, unshaven bums, it's not surprising they look at you funny. :eek:

If people are going to continue to Kent-bash, what I would like to see is someone with a true account of how they went into Kent, were thoughtful and polite, and then how horribly they were treated in return. I don't recall any specific incidents like that being reported. :cool:

Some hikers aren't even appreciative of being treated especially well so I'm not surprised they whine when they are treated in accordance with how they appear and act. :-?

Pony
07-25-2010, 20:01
I had two different people in Kent stop me to see if I found everything I needed, the only other town that has happened to me in was Palmerton. The laundromat does have a rather extensive list of hiker do's and don'ts, but it sounds like they're sick of hikers taking showers in their bathroom and leaving it a mess. Should be noted that even if your guidebook says there is a shower there, there is not. My guidebook says there is, but I didn't shower in their bathroom. It's obvious that they don't care if they get hiker business or not, after all, we're only a small part of thier business.

Back to ice cream though, the ice cream parlor is in the part of the outfitter where the shoe section used to be. Not a big deal though, because there is another shoe store in town that carries a decent selection of hiker shoes, and the lady at the outfitter was very nice and directed me there.

I was told at the Outfitters in Harpers Ferry that unless I wanted to get way off the trail (Philadelphia) that there was nowhere to get shoes between there and Kent. I talked to several other hikers that were told the same thing. So, when I got to Kent and found out the shoe section was replaced by an ice cream parlor, I was confused.

To my knowledge, there are three place between Harpers Ferry and Kent where you can get shoes. Cabela's in Hamburg, the Outfitters in DWG, and I believe you can easily get to Gander Mtn in Harrisburg from Duncannon. I could be wrong on that last one though. Sorry I got off on a tangent about shoes, but this thread is all over the place anyway.

livingXtreme
08-11-2010, 18:38
1/2 Gallon challenge in Pine Grove Furnace, PA!!!

Quercus
08-11-2010, 19:51
I live in Connecticut. We get up to Kent Falls every now and then for a swim and a little family hike. I'm surprised to find that there is any hiker-oriented retail up there, given my understanding of the economic lay of the land in those parts. Has anyone ever written up a wish list of basic emergency re-stock type equipment and sent it to them? Come to think of it, there ought to be a well thought out web page containing just such a list.. "So ya wanna open an outfitters on the AT/PCT/LT &c..." We have a hard enough time figuring out what we need ourselves. Hard to expect mind readers in little shops.