PDA

View Full Version : more gsnp questions

brack
06-13-2004, 16:12
hello friends i just have a few more questions...

i am doing a section hike from wallace gap to davenport gap in mid july. there will be two of us on the trip. we are planning on carrying enough food to get us to fontana dam and have a supply package waiting on us there. i know that there is nowhere to resupply in the park unless you hop off the trail so my question is for those that have hiked through the park what are the most difficult areas you have encountered. i am just trying to gather up some basic info to try and get a ballpark estimate of how long it will take us to get through the park so that we dont run out of food or get fired from our jobs for not being back when we say we will. haha.

i hiked from springer to franklin over spring break and did around 16 miles a day. is the terrain here comparable? it does not look much different on the maps. and with the weather being warmer and longer daylight it does not look like 16 miles a day will be much of a problem.

oh yeah and how far from davenport gap is the big creek rangers station, and how far is mtn. momas? im trying to finalize something on leaving a car at one of the two places. thanks for the info....

brack

Doctari
06-13-2004, 16:32
The inital climb from the dam to Shuckstack is somewhat rigorous, especially if you start hiking at the dam as a friend of mine did, but you will have about 60 miles to build your trail legs by then. I did it with a few less miles & did OK. That is the hardest part of the smokies as I remember it. You should do OK, allow about 5 to 7 days from Fontana Dam to Davenport gap. Mt Mommas is about 1.5 miles to the Right on a almost paved road, I think the rangers station is about 1/2 mile past Mt Mommas. OR, hike another (about) 5 miles on the AT then Left 200 Yards on a gravel/dirt road to Standing Bear Farms Hostel. I don't have their number at hand, but I'm sure someone here has it. Call them for driving directions.

Doctari.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2004, 16:38
NOC is a really easy resupply point..you walk right by the outfitter store ..they accept mail/ups packages. very easy pickup