PDA

View Full Version : Bug nets

Reid
05-05-2009, 23:20
I've got to get myself in a new bug protection situation. I've always used tents up until I switched to tarps late last year after the real bug season at high altitudes........if you call A.T. high altitudes in comparision to some other areas. What I'm looking at is the effectiveness of just a draped style bug net that is floorless and connected straight to my tarp which I will sew on to it. I'd like to know how well this really keeps out bugs. I would like to take this avenue first because the floor types limit the space I have under the tarp/shelter and I'd like to have a two person setup but is still reasonably light. I can live with a few extra ounces if this floorless setup doesnt protect well enough. I don't like flying insects, but have never really had a problem with the ones that crawl anyway. I can test it all myself..........but with all you folks, I'm sure someone can give me a good idea of what I'll be looking at. And when I'm out with my better half is not the time for trial and error, she can turn into a mighty mean one herself. Thanks

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-05-2009, 23:28
Great question!!!! I have a huge piece of screen that I have been thinking about sewing onto my nylon tarp. but wondered how much good it would do. The biggest reason I haven't is because I don't set up anything unless it is raining and bugs don't come out in the rain lol

jesse
05-05-2009, 23:56
I use and like the ray-way tarp/net tent set up. http://www.ray-way.com/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

Reid
05-06-2009, 00:22
Well Jesse I've had my eye on that for a while but I'm still concerned with the drape style bug net that it has, does that protect well enough?

dla
05-06-2009, 01:08
Something to consider, some netting will stick to poly tops, polar fleece, etc. I learned this the hard way with the A16 Bug Bivy, so I would suggest you check your netting choice, wiggle room, etc. with your clothing, bag, etc.

jesse
05-06-2009, 01:16
Well Jesse I've had my eye on that for a while but I'm still concerned with the drape style bug net that it has, does that protect well enough?

seems to work just fine. There are tie outs on the four corners and another set at the shoulders, so the net is not touching you. My son and I fit inside the one man net tent just fine. It does have a floor, which I think is a good idea. Keeps crawling bugs out.

garlic08
05-06-2009, 09:31
I used a floorless Tarptent Virga for a while, pretty much the same idea. In my experience, it worked fine against flying insects, but crawlies would get in. Most memorable was when I pitched at night on top of an anthill, my mistake. Second most memorable was waking up with a scorpion on the inside of the net. No harm done either way, but if you don't like the crawlies....

Rockhound
05-06-2009, 11:19
No bug net will protect you from the plague of locusts and gods wrath which I know you suspect is imminent.:eek:

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 13:30
No bug net will protect you from the plague of locusts and gods wrath which I know you suspect is imminent.:eek:

I think you missed a dose of Prozac.:-?

Rockhound
05-06-2009, 13:40
I think you missed a dose of Prozac.:-?
Never touch the stuff. Please refer to Reids other Young Earth thread.

Reid
05-06-2009, 13:54

Thanks for helping me spread the good news!

Rockhound
05-06-2009, 13:57
news is factual. You live in a fantasy world. That I guess is only about 7000 years old?

Reid
05-06-2009, 13:58
news is factual. You live in a fantasy world. That I guess is only about 7000 years old?

6000, give or take a little.

Christus Cowboy
05-06-2009, 14:55

Hmmm what does this have to do with bug netting?... Maybe you meant to post this on the troll thread?:-?