PDA

View Full Version : Maine Bugs = Worse?

Wrangler88
05-05-2009, 23:35
Everything I read about the mosquitoes in Maine (and black flies - although hopefully most of them will be gone by July, right?) makes them sound like they'll eat you alive.

I'm from Texas and springs and summers here are pretty humid and we have quite a bit of bugs and mosquitoes. I'm just wondering if anyone can compare the two. Are they going to be about the same in Maine as they are in Texas or are there armies of Mosquitoes waiting behind every tree for something with blood to come strolling?

Are they SO bad that as soon as you get out of your tent you have to get moving or you'll get eaten alive? And when you get done hiking for the day, are you forced into your tent to try and escape these blood suckers?

Someone put these skeeters to scale for me ...

Shutterbug
05-06-2009, 00:08
Everything I read about the mosquitoes in Maine (and black flies - although hopefully most of them will be gone by July, right?) makes them sound like they'll eat you alive.

I'm from Texas and springs and summers here are pretty humid and we have quite a bit of bugs and mosquitoes. I'm just wondering if anyone can compare the two. Are they going to be about the same in Maine as they are in Texas or are there armies of Mosquitoes waiting behind every tree for something with blood to come strolling?

Are they SO bad that as soon as you get out of your tent you have to get moving or you'll get eaten alive? And when you get done hiking for the day, are you forced into your tent to try and escape these blood suckers?

Someone put these skeeters to scale for me ...

For mosquitoes, Maine is worse than Denton, TX, but not as bad as Port Arthur, TX If you have ever tried to camp on the beach at Sabine Pass, TX you know mosquitos about as bad as they get.

Texas doesn't have anything as bad as the black flies when they are at their worst.

TJ aka Teej
05-06-2009, 00:09
Bugs in the summer can sometimes be bad. The Maine woods aren't much worse than other woods.

Almost There
05-06-2009, 08:51
Mosquitos were worse than blackflies last June. Took a shower at WH landing and then went outside without repellant...still had marks from the mosquito army a month later. Wear light colored clothes, and wear DEET and you'll be pretty good. Don't wear dark colored clothes, they seem to act as a mosquito magnet.

cravj1988
05-06-2009, 08:55
By the 1st of Aug. the black flies will be gone

Kirby
05-06-2009, 08:58
By the 1st of Aug. the black flies will be gone

Wrong.

They're still there.

And they can still make you miserable.

They're just not as bad as in June/July.

modiyooch
05-06-2009, 09:11
In my experience, I have hiked in July and haven't had problems with black flies. The mosquitos can be thick, but as long as you have repellant, you are fine. I had them hovering inches from my face, and, I didn't use DEET. Interesting enough, the same stuff would not work on the mosquitos in the everglades. DEET is required for the state bird of FL. Them boys were nasty. They were actually ramming into the car window trying to bite.

Make sure your repellant is sufficient. I wouldn't want to be out there without protection. My nephew lives in coastal ME, and he looks battered just from daily activities.

Blissful
05-06-2009, 12:07
We had no problems with bugs in Maine by September. A great time to go.

Saint Alfonzo
05-06-2009, 14:07
The bugs can be bad at times,but at least we don't have Fire Ants, to the best of my knowledge..I spent a few years in LA. Barksdale A.F.B. and I hate fire ants...

Jeff
05-06-2009, 16:26
August of 2006 Maine was mostly free of blackflies and mosquitos were only in the wet areas. Every year is different.

Wrangler88
05-06-2009, 22:49
The bugs can be bad at times,but at least we don't have Fire Ants, to the best of my knowledge..I spent a few years in LA. Barksdale A.F.B. and I hate fire ants...

Fire ants aren't that bad ...

... as long as you stay far away from them.
I think they wait until the whole mound gets on you before they start biting you.

Just a Hiker
05-06-2009, 23:19
Hey all! The magnitude of the pesky black flies and mosquitos on the trail in Maine vary from year to year.....they are the worst in the wetter areas. I was in the 100 mile wilderness two weeks ago and they were already out in force between Patawajo Lean-to and Cooper Brook. I walked out of the 100 mile wilderness in 2004 (SOBO) and old man Shaw thought I had the measles I was so eat up.....LOL! In Mr. Shaw fashion, he sold me his secret bug dope, fed me a couple of 4X4 breakfasts and sent me on my way. Take care all.

Just Jim