PDA

View Full Version : Question about wildlife?

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 06:13
This past weekend I kicked up a wild boar about 10 yards off-trail on the Motobu Trail here in Okinawa. It faked charged me a couple times, grunted aggressively, then turned-tail and and booked into the woods. As I stood there, I wondered how I was going to quickly drop my pack, prevent dropping a load in my shorts and how far the thin bamboo tree I intended to climb would bend towards the ground as I made way up! My question to the pro's (all of you!) is how aggressive are the bears and other critter's on the A.T. Thanks in advance!

OutdoorsMan
05-06-2009, 08:26
Bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Okinawa? I spent some time there twice. It was a good experience but I have little desire to return.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2009, 08:29
i was at camp hansen on okinawa for a year. lotsa wildlife in kinville :)

Hooch
05-06-2009, 08:36
i was at camp hansen on okinawa for a year. lotsa wildlife in kinville :)Yup, no doubt! Spent a year at Camp Schwab in '88.

Bearpaw
05-06-2009, 08:41
I don't think there's ever been a documented unprovoked attack of a black bear against an adult on the AT. Food bags have been swiped. One time in the Smokies, a woman was killed by a starving bear and her cub.

Every time I've run into a bear on the AT, it has run away. I've had a much spookier encounter with a boar in the Smokies than any bear.

And in Okinawa, I was more concerned about running into an 18-inch banana spider at face level during a night patrol than any thing else. I guess habus were a distant second.

I was at Foster, but spent lots of time at Schwab, CTA, and NTA for training.

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 08:58
I've only been on White Blaze for a short time now, but I can tell you're a very respected person. Hope your health is on the rise! Are there any views of Okinawa you'd like to see again? If so, let me know and I'll snap a couple shots for you!

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:00
That last was supposed to go to Lone Wolf. Still working my away around the site!

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:06
Yup, no doubt! Spent a year at Camp Schwab in '88.

Do a lot of diving near Camp Schwab. How about you??

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:10
I don't think there's ever been a documented unprovoked attack of a black bear against an adult on the AT. Food bags have been swiped. One time in the Smokies, a woman was killed by a starving bear and her cub.

Every time I've run into a bear on the AT, it has run away. I've had a much spookier encounter with a boar in the Smokies than any bear.

And in Okinawa, I was more concerned about running into an 18-inch banana spider at face level during a night patrol than any thing else. I guess habus were a distant second.

I was at Foster, but spent lots of time at Schwab, CTA, and NTA for training.

Scope out my banana spider pic. I've face planted into many banana spiders. Luckily the legs are so long they have a delayed biting time ratio!:eek:

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:12
Bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Okinawa? I spent some time there twice. It was a good experience but I have little desire to return.

No good memories??

sly dog
05-06-2009, 09:49
I was wondering if I need to take bear spray in SNP. I never carried it before but I am usually with someone else and this time I am doing SNP solo and was wondering if I need to pick some up before I leave.

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 09:58
If you run into a bear, bluff him. Don't show any fear (easy to say, eh) and don't turn your back. The bear may try to bluff you. The times I've walked up on a bear, I've shouted and cussed at him/her. He usually looks at me like I'm crazy and then saunters away.

Hooch
05-06-2009, 10:02
Do a lot of diving near Camp Schwab. How about you??

As a member of Bravo Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Bn, I did more than my fair share of diving when I was stationed at Schwab. There is plenty of beautiful diving to be had all over the island. Hope you enjoy!

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 10:38
As a member of Bravo Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Bn, I did more than my fair share of diving when I was stationed at Schwab. There is plenty of beautiful diving to be had all over the island. Hope you enjoy!

Plenty of great diving Hooah!! Next time out to the Kerama's or Ishigaki, I'll take many pics and forward them to you!

OutdoorsMan
05-06-2009, 11:43
No good memories??

Yes, I have many good memories. I didn't scuba dive but snorkeled some. Those snakes scared me so I kept an eye out for them and gave them a wide berth. The only person I've ever seen die was on OKI. I was running off base from Schwab into town and downhill. There's a long downhill from the opposite direction and I saw a motorcycle (crotch rocket) screaming downhill and passing a bus. He miscalculated when he got back into his lane and clipped the bus. He went end over end like a rag doll and landed literally at my feet. I hung around to see if anyone wanted a statement from me - they didn't. Although, I didn't speak the language, it was obvious who his family was when they arrived as they were so clearly distraught.

I seldom travelled south of Schwab. Trained in the NTA some, went into town to eat, drink a beer. We deployed (this is when it was the 3rd marDiv and it was a one year PCS tour) to the Phillipines - loved that, beautiful country, liberty in Hong Kong, a few months at Mt Fuji, did a Team Spirit in Korea (nasty country IMO).

My second time was with 1/2 out of LeJeune. It was the closest I ever came to combat as there was turmoil in the Phillipines when Imelda Marcos was trying to assume her late husband's presidency and we thought we might have to do a NEO-OP.

The first time I was a green Platoon Commander. The second time I was a Rifle Company Commander.

Overall, it was a great experience. One of the big benefits of military service is the opportunity to see other cultures and gain insight as to how we are viewed from their perspective. Unfortunately, too many bad things have occurred with Marines and Okinawan's and I can't imagine us being viewed favorably by the nationals - is that the case?

I left after 8&1/2 years. If I had to do it again, I think that I would have stayed in but I have no regrets. I left because the grass looked greener on the civilian side - it isn't.

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 12:06
Yes, I have many good memories. I didn't scuba dive but snorkeled some. Those snakes scared me so I kept an eye out for them and gave them a wide berth. The only person I've ever seen die was on OKI. I was running off base from Schwab into town and downhill. There's a long downhill from the opposite direction and I saw a motorcycle (crotch rocket) screaming downhill and passing a bus. He miscalculated when he got back into his lane and clipped the bus. He went end over end like a rag doll and landed literally at my feet. I hung around to see if anyone wanted a statement from me - they didn't. Although, I didn't speak the language, it was obvious who his family was when they arrived as they were so clearly distraught.

I seldom travelled south of Schwab. Trained in the NTA some, went into town to eat, drink a beer. We deployed (this is when it was the 3rd marDiv and it was a one year PCS tour) to the Phillipines - loved that, beautiful country, liberty in Hong Kong, a few months at Mt Fuji, did a Team Spirit in Korea (nasty country IMO).

My second time was with 1/2 out of LeJeune. It was the closest I ever came to combat as there was turmoil in the Phillipines when Imelda Marcos was trying to assume her late husband's presidency and we thought we might have to do a NEO-OP.

The first time I was a green Platoon Commander. The second time I was a Rifle Company Commander.

Overall, it was a great experience. One of the big benefits of military service is the opportunity to see other cultures and gain insight as to how we are viewed from their perspective. Unfortunately, too many bad things have occurred with Marines and Okinawan's and I can't imagine us being viewed favorably by the nationals - is that the case?

I left after 8&1/2 years. If I had to do it again, I think that I would have stayed in but I have no regrets. I left because the grass looked greener on the civilian side - it isn't.

Unfortunately the Marines have a bad rap here. But this is my second tour on Okinawa and regardless of service, if you give an ounce of kindness to the Okinawan community, they'll provide a pound in return. As an acting First Sergeant I always stress across services that Airmen, Marines and Soldiers don't act as the "Ignorant American." Yes we are the greatest military power in the world, but we should mind of manner's!