PDA

View Full Version : In general....

10-K
05-06-2009, 07:53
How far off the trail are the various waysides, camp stores and campgrounds in SNP?

Foyt20
05-06-2009, 08:32
In my limited experience in the SNP, several of the campgrounds are right off the trail (within 1/4 of a mile) but it seems like they are often downhill :D. Campstores and waysides are something I do not have knowledge of, except one resturant that was right off of the AT. I dont remember the name specifically, but it was about 8 miles north of Big meadows on the AT.

SlowLightTrek
05-06-2009, 08:37
I remember alot of campstores very close to the AT. Goto the National Park website, they will have a brochure map you can download showing everything.

10-K
05-06-2009, 09:33
I remember alot of campstores very close to the AT. Goto the National Park website, they will have a brochure map you can download showing everything.

I've got the maps and all - it's always nice to hear first hand accounts of where things are located and how difficult they are to get to, etc. etc.

sly dog
05-06-2009, 09:45
I was wondering this myself. Do I need to pull out a map when I get into the area they are to find them or can you see them from the trail or see a sign for them. I am heading there in 2 weeks and tryin to plan my meals around them.I want to figure out how much food I need to take and figure out the hours of operation so I can say when I will be passing them during breakfast,lunch or dinner and be able to eliminate some of my carried meals. I do have a resupply box ready for Front Royal to get me to Harpers Ferry but just wondering for the SNP area.

Ridge Rat
05-06-2009, 10:13
Big meadows campground has a store, its about 1/4 mile off the trail maybe and easy to get to. Also skyland is right off the trail pretty much. They have a small store (not reliable for restock) and they have a great dining room that is pretty cheap for what you get. I always stop there when I hike in SNP.

Alligator
05-06-2009, 10:20
Loft and Lewis campground the trail runs right next to in places. The waysides that we visited weren't more than 0.5 miles. Check your map and look at the topos, sometimes the waysides are down a hill. The bigger campgrounds have map insets on the AT maps. I found the signage more than adequate although sometimes there are two paths to the waysides and one is definitely shorter and easier. It will be the one you don't take:D.

Skyline
05-06-2009, 10:48
From south to north:

Loft Mt. CAMPSTORE (resupply, showers, laundry) is very close to the AT, which wraps around the campground.

Loft Mt. WAYSIDE (short order grill, gift shop) is a mile down an access road from the campground, on Skyline Drive.

Lewis Mt. Campstore (weak resupply, showers, laundry, cabin check-in) is just a few minutes from the AT, which wraps around the campground.

Big Meadows WAYSIDE (stronger resupply, short order grill with indoor seating, gift shop, gas pumps) is 0.4 mi. from the AT intersection with Lewis Falls Fire Rd. Next door to Byrd Visitor Center.

Big Meadows LODGE (higher-priced dining, lounge with light food, gift shop, lodging) is 0.2 mi. or less from the AT; choice of three different side trails. No resupply store. Campground about 0.2 mi. away has showers, laundry.

Skyland Resort (higher-priced dining, lounge with light food, gift shop, lodging) is 0.2 mi. or more from the AT depending upon routing to get there. No resupply store or campground.

Elkwallow Wayside (short order grill, weak resupply, gift shop, gas pumps) is 0.1 mi. from AT via Elkwallow Trail. Campground is two miles north via Elkwallow Trail.

NOTE: Panorama Restaurant at Thornton Gap has been torn down. A new modern restroom facility and pay phone have been established nearby.

ALSO: Guidebooks will refer to "Tom Floyd Wayside" north of the SNP boundary. This is just a backcountry shelter for long distance hikers with tentsites, spring, privy, and picnic table. No ice cream, beer, or resupply here!

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 10:51
Big meadows campground has a store, its about 1/4 mile off the trail maybe and easy to get to.

My grandbaby's Mom works in that store. If you see Ashley, tell her hello.

Foyt20
05-06-2009, 11:04
Skylands is where we stopped. It was right off the trail. You could see it from the AT.

Thanks for firing they ol' brain synapses.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2009, 11:04
I think (believe) everyone has underestimated the distance of the Big Meadows Wayside from the AT. I believe (I don't have my map here) it's ~ a mile from the AT. Where as the Big Meadows Campground/Lodge/Taproom is ~1/4 mile from the AT.

The Campground/Lodge/Taproom is a ways off Skyline drive (closer to the AT), where as the Wayside is practically on Skyline Drive.

10-K
05-06-2009, 11:45
Hmmm... well, I think I'll leave Harper Ferry with 5 days of food, skip Front Royal and see what happens.

Worse case I can hitch into Luray which I'll probably do anyway to do a bit of laundry.

Skyline
05-06-2009, 12:29
I think (believe) everyone has underestimated the distance of the Big Meadows Wayside from the AT. I believe (I don't have my map here) it's ~ a mile from the AT. Where as the Big Meadows Campground/Lodge/Taproom is ~1/4 mile from the AT.

The Campground/Lodge/Taproom is a ways off Skyline drive (closer to the AT), where as the Wayside is practically on Skyline Drive.

Yes and no.

From the Lodge area, Big Meadows Wayside is about a mile away. Correct.

But if you leave the AT where it intersects Lewis Falls Fire Rd. it is under a half-mile. This would be the way to go unless you were staying or dining at the Lodge or perhaps overnighting at the campground. Ascend the fire road for about 0.2 mi. to Skyline Drive, turn left on the Drive, and you'll see the gas station up ahead in about 0.2 mi. Walk through the gas station area, and you'll see the wayside. Further "north" is the visitor center.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2009, 14:21
Yes and no.

From the Lodge area, Big Meadows Wayside is about a mile away. Correct.

But if you leave the AT where it intersects Lewis Falls Fire Rd. it is under a half-mile. This would be the way to go unless you were staying or dining at the Lodge or perhaps overnighting at the campground. Ascend the fire road for about 0.2 mi. to Skyline Drive, turn left on the Drive, and you'll see the gas station up ahead in about 0.2 mi. Walk through the gas station area, and you'll see the wayside. Further "north" is the visitor center.
Aye!:)

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2009, 14:23
...except one resturant that was right off of the AT. I dont remember the name specifically, but it was about 8 miles north of Big meadows on the AT.
That is Skyland -- it's a must stop for breakfast.

spacecharge
06-08-2009, 12:19
Do the trifecta!!!!
Breakfast @ Elkwallow, Lunch @ Skyland, Dinner @ Big Meadows.
Serious miles to make it!!!!!! :banana

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 14:29
Ahhh, good memories of SNP. Lots of close waysides and campgrounds. You can basically eat your way through carrying little food. That was a good time.