PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Introduction

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 08:40
I would like to say that I'm hoping to join your close community. I've stood to the side and have read many of your threads. I respect your close nit community and hope that one day I may earn your respect. I retire from the Air Force this coming February and intend to begin a NOBO hike some time in March 2010. Future advice on my upcoming challenge will be greatly appreciated!:)

Bearpaw
05-06-2009, 08:49
Future advice on my upcoming challenge will be greatly appreciated!:)

Take much of the non-technical advice here with a half-pound of salt. As for the technical stuff, don't sweat the gear-head approach too much. The best gear is the gear that gets you out there hiking.

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:19
Take much of the non-technical advice here with a half-pound of salt. As for the technical stuff, don't sweat the gear-head approach too much. The best gear is the gear that gets you out there hiking.

Roger that!

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 09:29
Hi Worldwide. You already have my respect!

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 09:45
Hi Worldwide. You already have my respect!

Gray Blazer,
While I firmly believe that I must earn one's respect, I appreciate the fact you've offered your respect openly! Wouldn't let you down!

Two Tents
05-06-2009, 09:49
Hi Worldwide! Welcome to WB! First let me say thank you for your service to our country! There is so much information here. Have fun learning. It sounds like you have plenty of time to get ready. Do you have hiking experience? How about gear?

Gaiter
05-06-2009, 09:49
welcome, and kinda like bearpaw said, somethings taken w/ a grain of salt.... there is alot of information here, sort through it and find what works for you....

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 09:51
I checked out you photo gallery and saw you were in Bagdad. Like I said, you have my respect and thanks.

traildust
05-06-2009, 09:52
welcome to another member of the retired military community. look forward to hearing more from you and seeing you on the trail in 2010 with us other retirees.

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 10:28
Hi Worldwide! Welcome to WB! First let me say thank you for your service to our country! There is so much information here. Have fun learning. It sounds like you have plenty of time to get ready. Do you have hiking experience? How about gear?

Hey Ottodude,
During the weeekdays I do 1 hour hikes that consist of 600 foot elevation climbs close to my residence. On the weekends, elevations vary from 800-1000 feet through the jungle and range from 2-3 hrs on trail. The trails are barely maintained and often you require positioned ropes on your ascent/decent. As for gear: Stove-MSR XGK/EX, Katadyn Water Microfilter (slightly heavy), Backpack-Osprey Argon 85 , Extremlite 3 season sleeping bag (1 season on standby) and MSR Hubba HP solo tent. I take long weekends (4-5 days) to prepare for hiking solo. I hope to meet some great people on the trail, but I'm planning to do the majority of the hike solo. Always open to advice!

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 10:29
welcome, and kinda like bearpaw said, somethings taken w/ a grain of salt.... there is alot of information here, sort through it and find what works for you....

Thanks!! :)

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 10:32
I checked out you photo gallery and saw you were in Bagdad. Like I said, you have my respect and thanks.

Thanks again Gray Blazer!! :)

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 10:33
welcome to another member of the retired military community. look forward to hearing more from you and seeing you on the trail in 2010 with us other retirees.

Dido my friend!!

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 11:34
Finally a cool World-wide, just kiddin.:D:D:D The other World-wide is always going to be Mr Awesome in my eyes cuz he is, just so awesome.

Welcome to WB and thank you for your service to our country

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 11:42
Finally a cool World-wide, just kiddin.:D:D:D The other World-wide is always going to be Mr Awesome in my eyes cuz he is, just so awesome.

Welcome to WB and thank you for your service to our country

Chaco Taco: You seem to be on every thread and I didn't know where it was going to end between you and Kirby? Like I said before, I've been sitting on the side-lines just trying to absorb the WB culture. Gotta a lot to learn, but looking forward conversing with you all! :)

Blissful
05-06-2009, 12:10
Welcome, glad to have you here, and thank you so much for your service to our country.

My hubby should see your location, he was there as a kid as his dad was Air Force and stationed there for four years in the 60's. He has fond memories of Japan and just loves sushi.

World-Wide
05-06-2009, 12:26
Welcome, glad to have you here, and thank you so much for your service to our country.

My hubby should see your location, he was there as a kid as his dad was Air Force and stationed there for four years in the 60's. He has fond memories of Japan and just loves sushi.

Blissful,
Thank you for the kind words and I assure all those spending time in the Pacific have fond memories of it's wonderful culture. I leave Okinawa in three months and will miss my host-nation friends more than words can say! I'll soon reside at Warner Robins, Georgia just 20 miles South of Macon. Just a couple hours shy of Mt. Springer. :)

Farr Away
05-06-2009, 12:58
Welcome!

My uncle was in the Marine Corp and stationed in Japan when he met his wife. He liked it enough to stay after he retired. They have a restaurant in Iwakuni(?) now, I think.

sly dog
05-06-2009, 13:14
Welcome to WB and thanks for your services to this great country.
A better chance to do solo like you said would be going SOBO. If ya go NOBO you will keep leapfrogging same people and hitting a lotta people at shelters and towns IMO. If you are looking for solitude on the trail at at camp SOBO would be better for you.

Saint Alfonzo
05-06-2009, 13:45
Welcome,World-Wide..Good to hear from another Vet..When you get up this way,think of me. And when you get to Monson, ask Tim ,"Monson General", Anderson,to tell you a good France story. We were in the same Air Guard outfit..We also did some time in The Land of Sand. The first Gulf War..

Summit
05-06-2009, 18:14
From a fellow retired Air Force member to a soon-to-be-one, welcome to WB. I was TDY to Okinawa for 3 weeks in the early '90s. Beautiful place! Spent a good chunk of my 20 years (6 1/2) in Germany.

Hope your planned AT thru becomes a reality. There's plenty of good advice here on WB and keep in mind the HYOH principal and don't try to do things my way, but rather your way and you'll do fine. :)

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 18:33
Chaco Taco: You seem to be on every thread and I didn't know where it was going to end between you and Kirby? Like I said before, I've been sitting on the side-lines just trying to absorb the WB culture. Gotta a lot to learn, but looking forward conversing with you all! :)
Kirby is my boy. He knows I was just messin with him.
I have no life. Tried to hike today but a tornado warning was issued so i didnt feel good about hiking out.
The gear talk threads are always informative. Good luck and enjoy