PDA

View Full Version : A new trail with a new dog

2011_thruhiker
05-06-2009, 09:33
I'm hiking out for about 3 days with my GSD on a 23 mile loop along the ridgeline of Shenandoah Mountain range in the George Washington National Forest near Staunton, Virginia. He'll have his own backpack-a camel pack that is spefically outfitted for him-he won't be carry much as this is his first hike-about 5 pounds in total. Anyone hike this trail before? Anything that I need to know before hand such as rocky climbs and so forth? I am going to call the ranger's station today as their isn't much on this trail on the website, but I also wanted to find out first hand from other hikers that might have taken this hike.
Thanks.

Gaiter
05-06-2009, 09:43
how has the dog been preforming on dayhikes with the pack (at 5lbs)

2011_thruhiker
05-06-2009, 10:06
He tolerates the pack well, occasionally the pack has to be adjusted, but other than that-well. He is well behaved on the trail-he stays by myside on his lead and doesn't really care about the wildlife or other people-he just likes to be near me. The only thing he doesn't like is steep climbs-such as ledges or big boulders, I think he has a fear of heights-which I am hoping to overcome with him. And water too-he refuses to go in running water-stream, pond with ripples, river, doesn't matter. If the water moves he will not have any part of it...

Gray Blazer
05-06-2009, 10:49
Keep an eye out for my oldest boy. His name is Ian and his black lab is Baby. He lives in Strausburg and does a lot of hiking around there.

2011_thruhiker
05-06-2009, 11:09
I will and I will tell you said hi!