PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain Shelter

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 14:17
My fave shelter...almost a "don't miss". A little bit off the trail, but incredibly cool: It's a rehabbed barn, with a massive loft, a nice "stable" area for cooking inside, and an AWESOME "porch". I got stuck there for a day and a half, alone, thanks to big rain, and just watched rain clouds literally role over the mountain like ocean breakers, down the incredibly beautiful valley for miles. It's also a landmark historic place: The Overmountain Trail crosses the AT there, as the AT goes along the ridge. The Overmountain is the trail the "Overmountain Men" used when they rallied in what is now Kentucky - about 2,000 of them - to join the wavering Continental Army in North Carolina for the key Battle of Kings Mountain, where they made the difference in kicking the Brits' butt right out of North Carolina. Damn cool place to spend a night. When those clouds rolled over, I felt like those buckskin heroes' spirits were walking into battle. Eerie, but I loved it.

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 06:14
My partner and I had sworn off shelters for awhile, as we were traveling at a really busy time and the shelters were just so BUSY!! We did hike down to the shelter and took pictures of the wonderful view from it. Got water and hiked about a 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile up the trail. There was a small ridge and we slept out under the stars, it was beautiful. We could look down at the shelter below us and watch the tent city grow. The hike out the next morning was one of my favorite-favorite morning hikes. Can you say: Ricola.... HH

chris
09-10-2002, 14:25
Yeah, Overmountain is pretty scenic. One of the best shelters in the South.

Hillbilly
07-25-2003, 13:29
Wow, thanks for the information.....my son and I may want to alter our first couple of days on a section to include a 'lounge' at Overmountain....

Hillbilly

Brushy Sage
01-07-2004, 11:38
After spending a great night at Overmountain shelter, I hiked north over the bald mountains (and through the long-horned cattle standing along the trail). As I looked back, I saw a red structure that I imagined was the Overmountain shelter. I kept seeing it for a great while, and marvelled that I could see the shelter from so far away. The next year, Patco and I were hiking south across the same mountains, and I pointed out the building. However, when we arrived at the shelter, he informed me that what we had been seeing from afar was not, in fact, the Overmountain shelter. I have gradually accepted the probability that I had been mistaken. Has anyone else had that same illusion -- mistaking another building for the shelter? Does anyone else even know what I'm talking about??

Groucho
01-09-2004, 03:36
Does anyone else even know what I'm talking about??

I saw it from a long way off; maybe not as far as you did.
Has anyone seen the house in the copse of trees to the left, downhill from the shelter(hiking S)? Saw the house when I turned to look and rest while walking N.

Great place. Supposedlly filmed "Winter People" here-at least part of it. I was going to stay somewhere else, but a hiker near Carvers Gap told me about it; glad he did. Almost as good as Charlies Bunion for a camping spot.

Jaybird
01-09-2004, 10:37
my hike pardner: "TeePee" & i were "truckin'" thru...catchin' our stride @ mid-day when we passed the Overmountain shelter, also known as the Yellow Mountain Barn, (Sept 2003)or the Yellow Mountain Gap Shelter, ....i had seen photos of it (& video of it from Model-T's 1998 thru-hike) & had wanted to visit it & take a few pics of my own....but, "TeePee" & i noticed it was about a 1/4mile off the trail........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....we decided to not stop!

we did, however, take some looooooooooooong distance photos (see PHOTOS) of us & the shelter over our shoulders from the next mountaintop overlook... as we were heading toward "the Humps." ;)

hope to see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

Moon Monster
01-11-2004, 00:04
I had a drafty night there as a mid-April storm changed to snow--never got to see the views for the fog the next morning.

The Overmountain Victory Trail has only about a dozen miles or so of footpath constructed. It has a few hundred miles of designated driving routes along the byways. Long-range plans will eventually have the OMVT a bona fide long distance trail.

Frog
01-11-2004, 07:11
Just a little more on the history of this great shelter.
Just before becoming a shelter me and my brother where up for a new years hike and it was during the time of the filming of the movie The Winter People. This was suppose to be one of the sites that was used. They had a fake log cabin built over to the right of it. This was suppose to be where the Campbells lived for those familar with the movie. The day before we were up there Loyyd Bridges was there for the filming but they wanted snow and of course it didnt. So they eventualy moved the set somewhere else. We were invited by the guard to stay they nite in the barn so we did. Of course he had a camper set up there. But it made for a great added event for our new years hike.

Patco
03-23-2004, 20:28
As we walked over Hump and Little hump it rained harder and harder (sobo) so it was still pretty damp (and so were we) upon arriving at Overmountain Shelter. We changed into dry duds and cooked a meal on the front porch. We then laid down to sleep on the porch. The breeze and clouds blew in from the front and within an hour our sleeping bags were moist-to-wet on the outside. We moved into the gravel interior of the barn near the stairs and stayed much dryer there. There were about 25 girls in the loft from an 'outward bound' kind of group. They were friendly and they were very quiet after bedtime. There were 5 or 6 tents along the approach trail.

A-Train
03-23-2004, 23:52
Definately a must stay shelter site, no matter how many miles or how few it takes you to get there. I took one of my shortest days (6+ miles) from Roan High Knob to Overmountain. I intended to stay. Most of the other thru-hikers intended to take lunch there. Lunch turned into staying the night once everyone saw the views and the landscape from the "front lawn". The shelter can easily hold 30 or more people so don't worry about finding shelter space. And it is the only shelter between Erwin and Damascus with a privy! I heard Bob Peoples got around the Tennessee Eastman clubs rules by building the privy on the NC side! A must stay IMO

retread
03-24-2004, 01:49
Oh my God....I spent the absolute coldest night of my life in this "shelter." I stayed the previous night in Clyde Smith shelter. Tried to hang my tent up to dry but it started raining again. As we left the next morning it started to snow. This was the first week in April. I hiked in snow all day. Went over Roan Mountain with about 4 inches on the ground. When I came off the old carriage trail onto the highway at Carver's Gap I couldn't see the trail. In this section the trail blazes were on rocks on the ground which of course were covered with snow. I just went up. There was a small bald (Jane's Bald?) and when I got to the top of it and looked west the sky was dark grey which meant more snow coming, and soon. Before I got off the bald and back in the woods it was snowing again and totally fogged in. I could see maybe 10 feet. Then, about a mile from the Overmountain shelter the snow stopped. I had seen pictures of this shelter on the net taken from a distance and it had been described as an old barn. I was wet and cold and looking forward to getting in a barn out of the wind. Right. I was so dissapointed to find out that this had been a TOBACCO barn! There were cracks between every board so that the tobacco could dry out. There was no relief from the wind. Floater and his daughter Sprout actually set up their tent inside on the loft. I would have done the same but mine was still wet and I knew that it would freeze. Which it did but it was inside the stuff sack. I slept in all of my clothes inside my bag, kicking my @ss for mailing my down jacket back home from Erwin! The next morning my 4 liter Platypus (Bubba) was frozen solid as were my boots. I learned that night to pour water into my pot if I expect it to freeze. That way I have water ready to thaw out and use. Someone later said that they looked at their small keychain thermometer before they went to sleep and it registered 14 degrees at about 9 o'clock that night. I got very little sleep. My shivering would wake me up. But the next day was wonderful. Hiking over the Humps was one of my favorite days on the trail. But GAWD was it cold the night before.

ga2me97
03-24-2004, 21:45
One of my favorite shelters, like A-Train I planned on staying there from its reputation and photos I had seen even though I stayed at Roan Mt the night before.

SGT Rock
03-14-2005, 15:43
Went up there on the 13th with my boys. There was still snow around the shelter, but the temperatures were in the 60s. I also found the bathtub - I think by mid April it might be warm enough regularly to look forward to a bath here.

Sleepy the Arab
03-15-2005, 11:43
Went up there on the 13th with my boys. There was still snow around the shelter, but the temperatures were in the 60s. I also found the bathtub - I think by mid April it might be warm enough regularly to look forward to a bath here.

Bathtub? Was it full of sodas? Who brought it down from Bland??

SGT Rock
03-15-2005, 12:02
Well It looks like it was a part of an old cabin up near the shelter. At the time it was only full of ice, some water, and some old leaves. There is a hose next to it connecting to a pipe from a well, but no water flowing - most likely frozen. It looks like it would be easy to rinse out and fill up for a nice bath.

Also, there was a fire ring right near it, and a bench someone built by affixing a log between two live trees so that the log was being "absorbed" by the trees. I would imagine that if some folks at the shelter teamed up and all used their pots together, they could take turns and heat mass quantities of water in multiple pots to have hot baths.

To find it, you take the old FS road downhill 0.3 miles until you come to a parking lot at the trail hear. As you reach it from the shelter, there is an old trail that goes downhill to the right, follow it down into a clearing near the creek. Once you get there you should see the foundation of the old cabin, the tub, the fire ring, and the bench.

Brushy Sage
03-15-2005, 12:11
I have stayed at that shelter twice and had no knowledge of the old cabin & tub. Thanks for the directions!

Youngblood
03-15-2005, 12:13
We are going to need bigger alcohol stoves!

The Biss
02-11-2006, 23:27
Oh my God....I spent the absolute coldest night of my life in this "shelter." I quote this for accuracy! I've done quite a bit of winter camping, but DANG! And going through the laurel tunnels and having rime ice fall down the back of your collar... joy of joys! :banana

shades of blue
03-13-2006, 16:07
As of 3/11/06, the spring that is close to where the FS road and blue blaze connects is running very well. It had lots of leaves covering the pipe, but I got those out of the way so that the spring could be seen.

abales01
04-20-2006, 17:13
Along a section hike from Beauty Spot Gap to Laurel Fork Falls, me and my three friends met a couple of cool dudes. Pat and Mathias wherever you are, you guys rock. Anyway, it was at Overmountain that we exchanged our Mountain House desserts, and went our seperate ways. We shared our Rasberry Crumble, and they their Blueberry cheesecake. While our hike was cut 10 miles short due to a busted ankle, we drove to Laurel Fork Falls only to be reunited with our friends. It was good to hear their hysteria in the distance, as they jumped off the falls. I knew it was them. A small powow of cheeba, and we said our goodbye's again.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-20-2006, 19:55
My kids and I spent a cold night here on 4/4 . The temperature wasn't that bad, but the wind was whipping through the boards of the barn. The view, though...oh that view. Met Sourdough, Compass, and a couple of other northbounders whose names I can't remember. My thoughts kept returning to the folks who sold the land. Were they heartbroken or willing to sell? Don't know if I could ever have parted with a place like that.

vortex
04-21-2006, 09:01
During my 1995 hike I had never even heard of this shelter, so I was very suprised when I came upon it. I had not planned to stay there that night after the days hike, but I could not pass up a great place like this. It was a great night on the Trail

sweetpeastu
08-26-2007, 23:36
Hey anyone been to this shelter within the last few weeks? I'm wonderin about the water situation, and does anyone know if you can filter the water in this area?

The Weasel
08-27-2007, 03:34
I hope the piped spring is still running.

The Weasel

Time To Fly 97
08-27-2007, 09:22
That is a cool place. I remember a windy night there - seemed like the whole barn would shudder with each gust, every floor board creaked and it was chilly there. There must have been 10 hikers there - good fun.

Happy hiking!

TTF

sweetpeastu
08-27-2007, 12:09
update on water situation: I called the Forsest Service people in charge of this area and they said its very dry up there and not to expect to find any water on any of the peaks and that there may be trouble finding water in the low spots inbetween mtns too (like around overmtn shelter and Bradley's Gap etc.) Again, has anyone been there within the last few weeks to speak to this? Thanks.

Two Speed
08-27-2007, 12:28
Was up at Overmountain Shelter about 2 weeks ago. The spring was running; not super strong, but easy enough to get water. Good water available at Bradley Gap, too. Basically, as of two weeks ago, water was available. Not extra plentiful, but available.

sweetpeastu
08-27-2007, 13:13
Hey Two Speed, thanks for that update!

bonnermc
09-19-2007, 19:00
I was just up there last weekend. Other than it being very cold at night, the water was low, but we are able to pump enough out. I love this shelter.

Tennessee Viking
09-19-2007, 23:22
This is my clubs section, and the last reports we got are pretty low or dry on the Highlands. We suggest to jump over to the restrooms to get water.
Some but little water from Overmountain to Doll Flats. I been working at Apple House a couple weeks ago. And it was pretty good.

We got a relocation in works going north of Bear Branch.

Rain Man
03-23-2008, 16:59
A group of eight college age boys from Bristol spent Friday night at this shelter. Seemed to be nice enough boys.

HOWEVER, next morning I found their numerous beer cans and some whiskey bottles had been tossed into the privy hole.

Trailfoot, the only thru-hiker there that night apparently woke them up and read them the riot act as soon as he saw it too (we were the first up on Saturday morning). I later asked them if they needed some more lecture. They quickly said "No, Sir." My wife thought it was cute that they called me "Sir" a lot. Anyway, I told them that if they could haul in cans full of beer, they could certainly haul out empty cans and that some local volunteer might have to fish out all those cans and bottles from the privy. (Don't know if that is true with this privy or not.)

A sad case of dumb hikers enjoying and "respecting" their alcohol a whole lot more than they enjoyed and respected nature, the trail, and the volunteers' efforts to provide clean facilities.

P.S. There was no hiker register at the shelter. Otherwise, I would have written up a "report" there.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:04
another reason to do away with shelters and privys

The Weasel
03-23-2008, 17:10
You wouldn't ban a gun, Wolf; you'd punish the person who misused it. Overmountain Shelter is no more at fault than that is. I'd either have told the boys to fish their junk out themselves or reported them by name. That's state land along two national trails.

TW

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 17:13
It sounds like they didn't know they were doing something wrong. They could of just left them scattered around. Most people in the U.S. don't understand privies these days.

The Weasel
03-23-2008, 17:17
'Tater, there isn't a college guy (or girl) who doesn't know what a privy is: They're at every sports event that doesn't have enough toilets. But they think it's OK to get drunk and put the can in the hole, and they won't get caught. Different when they're the only ones abusing it at a shelter.

TW

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 17:18
Those are chemical toilets, not composting privies. If they knew that they weren't supposed to put cans in an outhouse and went to the extra trouble of doing it anyway rather than just leaving them scattered about the barn then that was pretty malicious. My guess is they were just ignorant.

CrumbSnatcher
03-23-2008, 17:42
Definately a must stay shelter site, no matter how many miles or how few it takes you to get there. I took one of my shortest days (6+ miles) from Roan High Knob to Overmountain. I intended to stay. Most of the other thru-hikers intended to take lunch there. Lunch turned into staying the night once everyone saw the views and the landscape from the "front lawn". The shelter can easily hold 30 or more people so don't worry about finding shelter space. And it is the only shelter between Erwin and Damascus with a privy! I heard Bob Peoples got around the Tennessee Eastman clubs rules by building the privy on the NC side! A must stay IMO
good advice, from a great guy. nuff said,you can end this thread now.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:45
I'd either have told the boys to fish their junk out themselves or reported them by name.

and if they told you to F yourself and didn't give thier names?

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:48
BTW, B. Jack dug that *hitter hole :)

The Weasel
03-23-2008, 17:49
and if they told you to F yourself and didn't give thier names?

I'd still make the report. Sometimes things happen, and it's worth going on record.

TW

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 17:53
I'd still make the report. Sometimes things happen, and it's worth going on record.

TW

you'd make a "report" then what? they gonna post a guard at a *hitter to keep folks from throwing trash in it? :rolleyes:

Rain Man
03-23-2008, 20:06
another reason to do away with shelters and privys

Or alcohol.
:D
Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
03-23-2008, 20:08
A group of eight college age boys from Bristol spent Friday night at this shelter. Seemed to be nice enough boys.

HOWEVER, next morning I found their numerous beer cans and some whiskey bottles had been tossed into the privy hole.

Trailfoot, the only thru-hiker there that night apparently woke them up and read them the riot act as soon as he saw it too (we were the first up on Saturday morning). I later asked them if they needed some more lecture. They quickly said "No, Sir." My wife thought it was cute that they called me "Sir" a lot. Anyway, I told them that if they could haul in cans full of beer, they could certainly haul out empty cans and that some local volunteer might have to fish out all those cans and bottles from the privy. (Don't know if that is true with this privy or not.)

A sad case of dumb hikers enjoying and "respecting" their alcohol a whole lot more than they enjoyed and respected nature, the trail, and the volunteers' efforts to provide clean facilities.

P.S. There was no hiker register at the shelter. Otherwise, I would have written up a "report" there.

Rain Man

Rainman, I wil pass the report on about the privy. My maintenance boss will not like this, especially being the privy.

We will send someone up to the Barn pretty soon, since the first waves are starting up, and drop off a couple registries.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 20:13
Rainman, I wil pass the report on about the privy. My maintenance boss will not like this, especially being the privy.

We will send someone up to the Barn pretty soon, since the first waves are starting up, and drop off a couple registries.

what's gonna happen! :eek:

GGS2
03-23-2008, 20:21
what's gonna happen! :eek:

Somebody's going to get s**tfaced, to coin a phrase. After cleaning out a privy into so many heavy duty trash bags and hauling them away down the trail.

Tennessee Viking
03-23-2008, 20:25
LW

The Club was already planning to head up to the barn in the next couple weeks to replace some of the broken boards after we conquer the evil blowdowns from winter.

We will probably call Mike Rowe and ask to help with a 'Dirty Job.' Or we will just do it the old fashion way. You want to come out again on another outting.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 20:34
LW

The Club was already planning to head up to the barn in the next couple weeks to replace some of the broken boards after we conquer the evil blowdowns from winter.

We will probably call Mike Rowe and ask to help with a 'Dirty Job.' Or we will just do it the old fashion way. You want to come out again on another outting.

i've never been out on an "outing" i do lone wolf maintenance in the damascus area. but never at shelters. i chainsaw, etc. without permission

Jaybird
03-24-2008, 06:42
[QUOTE=Rain Man;573967]A group of eight college age boys from Bristol spent Friday night at this shelter. Seemed to be nice enough boys.
HOWEVER, next morning I found their numerous beer cans and some whiskey bottles had been tossed into the privy hole.ETCETCETC.......Rain Man/QUOTE]

Well, i think the KEY WORDS here are "COLLEGE BOYS":D

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 16:06
Well, i think the KEY WORDS here are "COLLEGE BOYS":D

They were on cell phones a lot checking on friends who had gone to Florida for Spring Break instead of staying local as they did. Seems their friends had been stopped by the cops in Florida, who confiscated ALL SEVENTEEN CASES of their beer!

Does seem that some immature males' lives revolve around beer. I've run into really decent, level-headed, respectful, mature "college boys." I suspect the key words are not "college boys" but "beer."

Rain:sunMan

Johnny Thunder
03-24-2008, 16:45
Not to condone this...but, I've been told by my aunt (an architect on loan to a group of archeologists excavating Penn's Landing) that 200 year old outhouses have lots of bottles, broken kitchen equipment, etc.

GGS2
03-24-2008, 18:44
Not to condone this...but, I've been told by my aunt (an architect on loan to a group of archeologists excavating Penn's Landing) that 200 year old outhouses have lots of bottles, broken kitchen equipment, etc.

Yup. Also really old intestinal parasites, bits of broken leather and just about anything you can think of. Pollen, seeds, bones, fish scales, anything that dosen't get fully digested... Do you think future archaeologists will check the AT privies out to see what brands of beer hikers drank, and what brands of equipment they carried? And what parasites they picked up along the way?

jersey joe
03-24-2008, 20:15
Overmountain Shelter was one of my favorite shelters, great view!

smokymtnsteve
03-24-2008, 20:46
dat old demon alkyhol strikes agin

Ashman
03-25-2008, 07:29
dat old demon alkyhol strikes agin

It's da Debil's Urin!

Kerosene
11-05-2008, 10:41
Note that there are actually 3 possible water sources at Overmountain. The first is obvious and reachable by a blue-blaze, while the other two are designated with the silver diamond "Water" shields common to Tennessee. Even if the first two aren't running, there's a continuation of the piped spring further down that I was told has never dried up.

JumpInTheLake
11-30-2008, 20:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/?action=view&current=Barn.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg %20src=%22http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/Barn.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobucket% 22%3E%3C/a%3EI found a good picture of The Barn. I took this last May.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/Barn.jpg?t=1228089613
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/?action=view&current=Barn.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/?action=view&current=Barn.jpg

johnnybgood
11-30-2008, 21:36
Awesome view,wish I could take off and go tomorrow.

Tennessee Viking
11-30-2008, 21:49
Note that there are actually 3 possible water sources at Overmountain. The first is obvious and reachable by a blue-blaze, while the other two are designated with the silver diamond "Water" shields common to Tennessee. Even if the first two aren't running, there's a continuation of the piped spring further down that I was told has never dried up.Yup..Its down the forest road at the gate going into Roaring Fork. There is a small cascade to the left of the gate and down the slope from the gate is an old foundation with a piped spring.

The one on the blue blaze is pretty much seasonal flow now. But the springs right across the road from the blue blaze are a lot more reliable.

double j
06-08-2009, 15:49
any new updates

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 16:54
any new updates
this was the shelter Friday the 13th February 2009
there were 15 others there that nite

double j
06-08-2009, 21:37
i dont think it will be to crowded this time of yr

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 21:46
i dont think it will be to crowded this time of yr
there is road access. locals only need to hike a mile to there.

Tennessee Viking
06-09-2009, 01:03
The Konnarock Trail Crew will be there in a few weeks. I hoping to head up there and camp with them, and go work on the trail.

Tennessee Viking
06-09-2009, 01:04
Summer time its only section hikers. But I have seen locals from Roaring Creek camp there and trash up the place.

double j
06-11-2009, 16:02
well it was a great hike went from carvers gap to 19e stopped at the shelter for lunch... the humps were nice also. going down sucked way too rocky . saw some horses 5 i think. water is flowing good

f8lranger4x4
06-27-2009, 11:08
Awsome place water is great at this shelter and you can realy feel the history

Jeff
06-27-2009, 11:11
well it was a great hike went from carvers gap to 19e stopped at the shelter for lunch... the humps were nice also. going down sucked way too rocky . saw some horses 5 i think. water is flowing good

One of the prettiest sections on the entire trail. Those rocks are mild, mild, mild compared to up north.

Desert Reprobate
06-27-2009, 11:23
Looks like the ghost of hikers past in the foreground

Blissful
06-27-2009, 21:12
It's no fun though in windy and cold rain.

Jaybird
06-28-2009, 08:28
One of the prettiest sections on the entire trail. Those rocks are mild, mild, mild compared to up north.

I totally agree!

My wife & I day hiked from Carvers Gap just a few weeks back...the scenery was GREAT! The Rhododenrens(sic) were just starting to bloom

WhiteBearDog
07-13-2009, 22:21
I was up there a couple weeks ago. Heres a few pics from there.

WhiteBearDog

View from the front of the barn down the valley...

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at44.jpg

The wonderful privy...

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at45.jpg

View headed North of Overmountain Shelter...

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at52.jpg

Longhorns chillin on the A.T....

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at101.jpg

WhiteBearDog
07-13-2009, 22:26
It's no fun though in windy and cold rain.

I was fine but my partener was cold, was very windy and cool when we were there but someone was kind enough to leave a few tarps and several good rocks to hang it up with... in the loft that is. Down on the "porchs" however, seemed pretty well protected. The wind was coming from the entrance end.

Gray Blazer
07-13-2009, 22:40
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/ATFOLDER201.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=20238&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

A pretty spot indeed.

WhiteBearDog
07-13-2009, 22:46

Lol... way to rocky... I dubbed this the Gates Of H*LL... This is why my partner decided she had enough. I don't know for sure, but this felt like 5 miles!!!

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at111.jpg

Tennessee Viking
07-14-2009, 08:20
Lol... way to rocky... I dubbed this the Gates Of H*LL... This is why my partner decided she had enough. I don't know for sure, but this felt like 5 miles!!!

http://app3.sellersourcebook.com/users/9001/at111.jpg
Where was that taken...is that the rock section between Hump and Doll Flats

dmax
07-14-2009, 15:41
Here is the tenting area at the shelter.

Tennessee Viking
07-14-2009, 15:48
Here is the tenting area at the shelter.
You should have joined us over the briars and nettles that day. lol

sweetpeastu
08-24-2009, 17:03
geesh the grass around the barn NEVER looks like that when I'm there...course I tend to go towards the end of Sept. and everything is grown up and dying and....looks like a freakin briar patch.

bus
02-28-2010, 11:53
I would assume that by the first week or two of June that most NOBO through-bees are already past this shelter and section. That being said, are the crowds generally heavy during that time?

Planning on a section (or two) hike this summer. My schedule is dictated by when the Space Shuttle launches, and, that is about the only sure time coming up that it cant launch. We plan on tenting, but, if need be would shelter it-and if though hikers are still heading through would yield space to them...

karo
02-28-2010, 13:10
OBUSO, Even tho the thruhiker crowds should be past, there can still be a crowd up there. The third week of June is prime time for the rhodo bloom and festival in the state park in TN.
I would at least take a tarp, you can always string it up across the shelter for protection from wind or rain. BTW how many launches for the shuttle are there? I would like to go see one before they are history.

bus
02-28-2010, 13:20
Thanks Karo. I would probably just tent it if the shelter was full.

just 4 more Shuttle launches btw. I work for NASA TV at Kennedy Space Center. Next one is April 5th.

Rocket on here also works at KSC.

SNAFU
07-28-2011, 21:56
Anybody know how the water is running up on the mtn right now? I was hoping to bypass The Barn this time and stay at Bradley Gap or whatever its called.

Tennessee Viking
07-28-2011, 22:24
I know that the Cloudland and the Garden facilities are open. So you can fill up at the water fountains and bathrooms.

Grassy Ridge springs are usually reliable.

Sir-Packs-Alot
07-28-2011, 23:02
Beautiful shelter with lots of history - I've seen some of the most beautiful views and conversely some of the worst weather (in the area of this shelter) imagineable - but if you haven't been there - definetely stop in at least once. P.S. - it was also supposedly the backdrop for a cheesy early 70's horror movie !

The_Professor
06-06-2012, 15:50
Stayed there several weeks ago on a very chilly windy night -- unfortunately, this shelter is suboptimal in that kind of weather. Because it's an old tobacco barn, it's pretty porous to the wind. Lots of folks on the loft (including me!) pitched their tents to reduce the wind.

TrekkerJeff
06-19-2012, 08:36
We stopped there for a lunch break last year and it was hard to leave. It had such nice views we wished it would have timed out for an overnight stay.

10-K
06-19-2012, 08:52
Too far off the trail for me.... I'll just have to admire it from afar - walked by there a few days ago and it was still there.

Not to say that there aren't things I'll get off the trail to see - just not a barn.

Tennessee Viking
06-19-2012, 09:03
You don't just camp at the barn just to visit the barn. Roaring Creek Valley is awesome sight at sunset and early morning with the fog rolling by. And the view of Big Yellow Mountain

dale1627
07-30-2012, 16:28
My son and I stopped there Saturday. Kind of wished that we hadn't. The view was great but didn't seem worth the side trip. We spent about an hour there and filled up with water then left and camped at the Bradley gap campsite. One question though, what is the large building that can be seen in the distance on the left side of the valley? I tried to look at it on google satellite view but it looked to be under construction at the time. There also didn't appear to be a tag associated with it.

Sunshine82
08-06-2013, 12:04
Really cool shelter but we had to tent because there were like 40 people when we were there.One of the nicest shelters by far

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 12:13
i stayed there for a night with just 5 other hikers, saw a beautiful moonrise, where the ridgeline lit up right before it rose above the horizon. cool
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dscn0769_thumb.jpg

goldbug
02-20-2015, 19:36
I loved this shelter for the view!! But it was really loud that night with a big crowd, so I pitched my tent off to the side. Rolled out of bed the next morning with a gorgeous view of the valley. Pretty much perfect. There were several tenting spots away from the barn that have fire rings also, so that was really nice.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-20-2015, 22:20
pretty cool place spent a frosty nite there several years ago - beautiful views down the valley in the morning

RockDoc
02-20-2015, 23:57
We had real bad weather through the Roan in Oct. Starting at the highway we got to Overmtn shelter, going SOBO by about 2 pm and stopped and ate. By 3 pm we decided to hike the 6 miles up to Roan High Knob shelter. We passed a boy scout troop heading to Overmountain shelter and I said "you can't stop hiking, it's only 3 pm!", and they just looked at me of course. It poured rain and the trail up to Roan High Knob ran like a river. Our shoes were soaked. We met our friend Smooth Salin at Roan High knob shelter for the night. Three old men slept upstairs and had wars with mice all night. They would start yelling and throwing things like a bunch of little children. I was surprised in the morning to see that they were in their 70's. They got off the trail as fast as they could... we continued to Hot Springs through more horrible October weather.