PDA

View Full Version : Bald Mountain Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:40
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Bald Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Lugnut
10-19-2002, 15:28
A thru hiker named Green Mountain Man died there a couple years ago but it isn't haunted.

flyfisher
06-04-2003, 14:19
:) Nice double decker shelter with lots of room.

:( Because it is so high, about sunset in Mid May, the cloud deck rolled in as did the wind. It dripped like rain all night from that point on.

Hillbilly
07-25-2003, 13:15
To any experienced AT sectioner...

My son and I are planning a June 04 hike from Roan Bald to Mt. Rogers. We are planning to be dropped off at Cloudland, and spend the day just getting used to boots/packs/altitude, etc., then spending the first night at Roan Bald shelter.

Question: Is it acceptable practice to spend a "prep" night at a shelter, even though we haven't done any real milage to that point? (Thanks in advance for your answers.) - hillbilly

smokymtnsteve
07-25-2003, 13:25

Groucho
07-25-2003, 16:01
You mean Roan High Knob shelter?

Do what you want. No rules. Personally, I didn't like this shelter. Maybe it was just me but I thought it was depressing. Better than camping in the snow though.

smokymtnsteve
07-25-2003, 16:08

B Thrash
07-25-2003, 19:44
Hillbilly:
If I remember right this shelter has a seasonal spring for water source. In June I would not count on water being there. No water was what forced me to move on to the next shelter. This shelter was run down also.

Brushy Sage
02-23-2004, 22:20
This shelter (Bald Mountain) is about a mile north of Big Bald mountain, which is north of Sams Gap, and considerably south of Roan Mountain. Bald Mountain shelter is at 5,100 ft elevation, so offers coolness although it is not on a mountain top. It's a good place to hear coyotes and owls, so be prepared for these sounds in the night. I note that the data book says there are meals to the east of Big Stamp (0.2 mi N of Big Bald Mt) -- that is very unreliable, as the dirt road goes down through a gated community and the likelihood of getting a ride is remote. It might be a bail out point in case of emergency.

hiker33
04-29-2004, 13:56
I maintain the section from Big Stamp north to Little Bald, including the Bald Mountain Shelter area. The guidebook info about meals near Big Stamp is outdated. There is a small general store within the gated community (Wolf Laurel) but it is several miles away and a few thousand feet down in elevation. As a bailout point in a serious emergency it's less than a mile to houses which may or may not be occupied as most are weekend getaways.

The water at the shelter is reliable and only a few hundred feet away. About 0.3 miles N on the AT is a side trail L leading to a good campsite and continuing down to a reliable spring. I brushed it out last summer and blue blazed it to the spring but there may be some briars for the first 100 feet or so before it opens out. There are double blazes marking the junction. This campsite is a good place to tent if the shelter is crowded.

Many of the messages posted here are about Roan High Knob shelter, not Bald Mountain.

Happy trails.

Brushy Sage
06-25-2004, 17:15
The Bald Mountain shelter is between Sams Gap and Spivey Gap, about a mile north of Big Bald Mountain, along the NC/TN border. I was with a Carolina Mountain Club crew that went to the shelter today (June 25) today to prepare for moving the privy to a new location. The rain was approaching, so we had to terminate the work and will go back later to complete the move. A reminder to hikers: please do put in a handfull of leaves or wood chips (whichever is being used) when you use a composting (moldering) privy. This type of privy is being evaluated all along the AT, and your support will add to the validity of the conclusions.

Brushy Sage
07-09-2004, 16:36
Our Carolina Mtn. Club crew completed moving the privy at this shelter today (July 9, 2004). Follow the same path to the rear of the shelter and turn right onto an obviously new connector. Same privy; new location. And please put a handful of leaves (already there, in a container) in the privy when you use it. BTW, an owl hooted at us while we were working, just before noon; we must have been disturbing it's daytime slumber.

MOWGLI
07-09-2004, 16:45
Our Carolina Mtn. Club crew completed moving the privy at this shelter today (July 9, 2004). Follow the same path to the rear of the shelter and turn right onto an obviously new connector. Same privy; new location. And please put a handful of leaves (already there, in a container) in the privy when you use it. BTW, an owl hooted at us while we were working, just before noon; we must have been disturbing it's daytime slumber.

Thank you for all that you and the great volunteers at the Carolina Mountain Club do for us hikers! We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Jeffrey Hunter

Hillbilly
07-12-2004, 09:59
Thanks to you and the many volunteers on the Bald Mountain privy. Looking forward to a nice, restful, contemplative moment or two up on the Bald....Hillbilly - :banana

DMA, 2000
07-13-2004, 02:20
I'm grateful to anyone who takes the effort to build a shelter or privy.

One of the most appalling bits of hiker behavior I ever saw was in the register. A hiker to whom I'd taken a dislike some days before passed through a shelter long before I did (he was quite fast, I was quite slow). Anyway, he wrote in the register that he'd come to the shelter midday for a poo, and was disappointed to find no privy. "Thanks again, NOC", he wrote.

This was a man on whom I could wish a broken ankle with no feeling of remorse.

Anyway, thank you for your work on the trail. I remember defecating very satisfyingly at the Bald Mountain Shelter Privy.

DiamondDoug
03-17-2008, 12:59
I am the section maintainer for that part of the Trail that includes Bald Mountain shelter (Big Bald to Little Bald). I was up there last week for a spring walk through before the thru hikers start to arrive enmass. The shelter looks good, although the privy is getting a little full. Please remember to use the leaves to help the waste molder if you use it. I'll be back to fix the door soon.

The Spring for this shelter is on a side path. There is a seep spring you will come to first, but the main spring is another 20 yards further. Go to the piped spring for water.

If you are heading north on the trail there is a second spring at a good campsite about 4/10 of a mile north. The trail to the spring is blazed blue. This is a good spring.

I was on the Trail last September, back when we were in the midst (and still are) of a severe drought here in Carolina. Both springs had water at that time, and I expect they will have water throughout the summer. I'll report if I ever hear or see different.

DiamondDoug
09-08-2008, 14:14
Late summer update from your friendly neighborhood section maintainer. Both the spring at the shelter and another at the campsite 4/10 mile north are flowing nicely, despite our drought. New to the shelter are bear cables. Please use them; please let the Carolina Mountain Club know what you think in the shelter register. Thanks, -<>-Doug

Gray Blazer
09-08-2008, 14:20
Shelter was a mess a month ago. Lots of trash.
Say hi to the hermit of Little Bald for me.

generoll
12-13-2008, 21:03
FYI. The privy at Bald Mountain Shelter is tipped over. I don't know if this was maintenance, vandalism, or bear activity. Water was flowing from the piped stream.

Tennessee Viking
12-13-2008, 21:10
The CMC maintainer for that section is on here somewhere. I would expect wind was the suspect. There have been winds up above 50+.

generoll
12-13-2008, 21:30
Could have been. It was sure windy and wet getting there. Big Bald was beautiful and windy.

Tennessee Viking
12-13-2008, 21:39
Sent Diamond Doug a note on it. He is the maintainer for that section. Let me know if you seen anything north of Spivey Gap for my club's section.

generoll
12-13-2008, 21:44
Couple of blow downs. Nothing major. I had my Gerber saw with me and cleared the one I couldn't get past. Just yards north of a stream if I recall. Probably could have done a better job of clearing it, but I was tired and wet and not feeling too ambitious.

DiamondDoug
01-05-2009, 13:20
I heard some of the bear cables have been torn/pulled apart/yanked out. We (Carolina Mountain Club) will be going up there sometime this month to scout out a new privy location (the old one was getting full - maybe that's why someone tipped it over?) and to check out the cables. If anyone has any details that would help us know what tools to take. Thanks, -<>-Doug

generoll
01-05-2009, 18:36
as of Dec 5 or so the bear cables were functional, although as I recall one had been damaged and needed repairing. I think some cable clamps would do the trick, I can't recall if it will require climbing or not.

QuietZombie
01-06-2009, 10:53
i was just up there this past weekend and one of the bear cables was busted and there was another that was on it's way to being busted. looked like the crimps on the cables might not have been secured well enough. great shelter other than that. oh, and the privy was in pretty rough shape, i assume from high winds. it was noted in the shelter log from new years eve that it was in rough shape that night too.

fredmugs
03-04-2009, 15:09
I plan on staying there on Friday the 13th! I'm guessing that if the low is going to be around 20 in Erwin I'm going to freeze my butt off up in the shelter right?

Berserker
03-05-2009, 14:34
From what I read on this thread it appears that this shelter has a decent/reliable water source, a privy (that may or may not be tipped over) and bear cables. Can someone confirm all this? Also, how is the tenting near the shelter?

DiamondDoug
03-05-2009, 15:06
From what I read on this thread it appears that this shelter has a decent/reliable water source, a privy (that may or may not be tipped over) and bear cables. Can someone confirm all this? Also, how is the tenting near the shelter?

The spring is good; never known it to go dry. Don't stop at the seep that you come to first on the short path from the shelter but go another 20-30 feet or so to the pipe.

I understand the privy has been stood back up. It is going to be moved to a new location at some point this year. It does get windy up on the ridge. Two of the four bear cables are operable. Please don't use them for swings, which is apparently what happened to the other two.

There is some tenting space available in the vicinity of the shelter. There is also another tenting area about a half mile further north on the trail, with a spring down a side trail. If you are a boy scout troop, there is more flat room for tents at the camping area than at the shelter.

I should be up there in the next week or two for spring maintenance.

DiamondDoug
03-10-2009, 21:37
Was at Bald Mtn. shelter today. Spring is good. Privy is standing but getting full. Two bear cables are fully functional and a third partially. It looks like some one used them for swings. The shelter register is full and needs to be replaced; I did not takeone with me as the one I left last year was removed two weeks later. Maybe the person who replaced mine last year will be back again soon?

Other than than, spring walk trhough from Big Bald to Little Bald was conducted and the trail looks good. Waterbars cleaned out, a few blowdowns sawed off and rocks forming pools below the springs refurbished. Both are flowing strong. Happy hiking.

YoungMoose
03-10-2009, 21:39
I loved the shelter. the views there were nice. i did a 2 week trip and I stayed there for 2 nights

Gray Blazer
03-10-2009, 21:39
The Hermit of Little Bald told me he maintains the log. He'll prolly be there this Sat.

CrumbSnatcher
03-10-2009, 21:46
To any experienced AT sectioner...

My son and I are planning a June 04 hike from Roan Bald to Mt. Rogers. We are planning to be dropped off at Cloudland, and spend the day just getting used to boots/packs/altitude, etc., then spending the first night at Roan Bald shelter.

Question: Is it acceptable practice to spend a "prep" night at a shelter, even though we haven't done any real milage to that point? (Thanks in advance for your answers.) - hillbillyfirst come, first served.

Gray Blazer
03-10-2009, 21:55
first come, first served.

That post was from three years ago. I guess that's why he thanked you in advance.

fredmugs
03-11-2009, 07:06
I am going to try and remember to bring a notebook for the shelter.

Diamond Doug: Thanks for all your trail work. I don't think you guys ever get thanked enough.

CrumbSnatcher
03-11-2009, 09:38
That post was from three years ago. I guess that's why he thanked you in advance.
i hope he didn't wait around for three years for a response? my bad i should look at the dates.:eek: S*** Happens

fredmugs
03-23-2009, 02:32
I placed the register in the shelter on the 13th and woke up to what became 36 hours of non-stop rain. I was the only one in the shelter so I used my tarp to block the wind and setup my tent inside. Bear cables and water and working just fine.

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 11:15
Nice piped spring was flowing well on 10/24/09. Easy to fit 10 on the dual-level sleeping platforms. We had a lot of wind towards evening accompanied by sputtering rain, but nothing directly into the shelter.

Chaco Taco
11-09-2009, 11:32
A really nice camp spot .4 past the shelter. Great views in the fall through the trees.

DiamondDoug
03-26-2010, 12:26
Did my spring walk through two days ago. Big Bald and it's northern shoulder were virtually free of snow, but as soon as you started to descend (northbound) into the woods towards the shelter the snow got thick. 12-18 inches in some places. Locating the trail was difficult, as the myriad of hiker tracks could attest. I did my best to stomp where the trail goes and placed sticks over the wrong tracks in the snow.

Walked all the way to Little Bald and back, beautiful sunny day. Need another week or two like that to melt all the snow. Rat went down from Little Bald to Spivey Gap and reported 24 inch drifts on the trail near the top. Tough hiking through there. The calendar may say spring but it's still winter at 5,000 feet.

DiamondDoug
04-04-2014, 09:34
It's hard to believe its been four years since I posted here. Did my spring walk through on Wednesday this week. The shelter is in good condition, three of the bear cables are fully operational and the 4th is functional. A new picnic table went in a year ago, the moldering privy is in good shape and the spring is clear and cold, as is the one at the camp spot 0.4 north. My entire section is looking good, except as to follow, and the view from the top of Big Bald is still fabulous.

We had a wet summer last year and the trail descending off the shoulder of the bald into the woods was a sloppy mess. I cleaned out the water bars and hope that will help some. After the late snow in 2010 I added some blazes to try and help keep folks on the trail through this stretch.

Saw 6 thru hikers on Wednesday. Three of them had started March 2 and so were on their first month anniversary. All were glad to finally have a day without walking in snow and were looking forward to getting to Erwin.

scope
07-27-2016, 14:15
Anybody familiar with hanging (hammock) at or near Bald Mountain shelter on the AT? Would it be more like being on Standing Indian Mt (mild, and a similar elevation), or more like Roan Mt (not so mild)?? Expecting low 60s nearby, wondering how much cooler it might get up there, and how windy. Pics of the shelter area indicate there should be plenty of trees, but don't know how old the pics are.

Me and another dad are taking some scouts up to a farm/camp near Big Bald. Scouts will do about an 8 mile hike from Sam's Gap up to Big Bald and down the southeast side of the bald to base camp near Jim Creek. Me and the other dad are looking to camp somewhere on the AT while we're up there and then meet up with the boys at base camp the next a.m.

The other dad is not a hiker, but is using mostly my extra gear which still pretty light. Still, I'm expecting he won't want to go much further than the shelter which would be almost 8 miles. Any great hanging spots nearby that we shouldn't pass up, even if we have to hike further?

p.s. bear cables at the shelter?

DiamondDoug
07-27-2016, 15:00
I've had to give up this section, but was there in March of this year. Yes there are bear cables, yes there are lots of trees suitable for hanging hammocks, although I say that having never hung one there, lol. Not sure where "low 60s nearby" will be to answer your other question. Roan is what, 1,000 feet higher and so is almost always cooler. Big Bald can be quite temperate in the summer.

There is also a campsite 0.4 north on the AT with a good spring if you don't find what you need at the shelter. Enjoy your hike.

scope
07-27-2016, 16:24
Thanks DDoug. Weather channel has low 60s for low temps in the surrounding area (i.e. random towns north of Asheville). I'm going to plan for some wind and lows in the mid 50s, but that might just be wishful thinking for these dog days.

Mr. Bumpy
07-27-2016, 21:02
It is hot. Even up there. You may get lucky and get mid 50's at night, but your daytime temps will be warm, the air is mostly still, and there are a lot of stretches with no shade. Thunderstorms have been daily, so the water will be good, but thunderstorms. Plenty of hammock hangs around the shelter plus nearby campsite. Berries are starting to come in up there, so you get a bonus.

scope
08-07-2016, 18:17
Didn't see any berries but otherwise you were right on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

map man
07-08-2017, 21:33
There is room for just a few tents in the vicinity of this shelter, for those who like to tent near shelters.

GoldenBear
08-11-2018, 22:46
Some minor updates on this place.

Enjoyed this shelter this last week, as water is abundant pretty much everywhere along this section, AND the bear cables make keeping your food bag safe from bears (and raccoons & mice) ridiculously easy. The slats in the sleeping area can be a blessing or an annoyance, depending on how you like to stretch out in a shelter -- or hate people who grab too much space when doing so!

One sad fact is that the mice have completely chewed up the shelter log.