PDA

View Full Version : Esbit tablets

Speer Carrier
05-06-2009, 14:13
Starting next week, I'll be hiking a section between Daleville, VA and Duncannon, PA. I expect the trip will take 5 weeks. I use an esbit stove,and I have a question for the experienced. Are esbit tablets easy to obtain in towns that might have a grocery store or convenience store but no outfitter? I have always bought my tablets at REI. Fortunately there is a store within walking distance of my house, so getting them has not been a problem. I just don't know how readily available they are. I'm not planning on mail drops, so that is not an option. My only options are buying them when I get into a town, or carrying enough for the whole trip. Help. Please.

Mags
05-06-2009, 14:28
Esbit tabs are hard to obtain, even at outfitters. They are kind of a specialty item. Not every outfitter has them.

If you want to go the esbit route, you'll have to buy a bunch in bulk (less expensive that way) and mail then in a bounce box, take what you need and then bounce them ahead. IIRC, they do not have mailing restrictions (unlike canisters).

Esbit WITHOUT maildrops on longer trips probably will not work. (Unless you take 5 wks of fuel with you. :) )

Just my opinion. You may luck out. Try calling ahead and see if the stores in question have them. I'd be very surprised if the local equivalent of 7/11 stocks them..but you never know.

Blissful
05-06-2009, 14:46
I'd take a different stove, personally. We have an esbit and I don't like them much. But you can probably get them at the outfitters in Waynesboro and at Harpers Ferry I'd think. Only outfitters would carry them. But call ahead to make sure they have them in stock.

Anyway, why not do mail drops? That is another option rather than carrying the whole supply. Doesn't make much sense not to...

oops56
05-06-2009, 15:18
Esbit are ok but take a bag off cotton balls a of bottle rubbing alcohol put some alcohol on a cotton ball you have a home made esbit

Two Tents
05-06-2009, 15:42
Hey! I don't wanna rain on your parade but its gonna be tough gettin esbit tabs just any old place. Like some else said outfitters or better yet bounce em ahead of you.. Good luck and Happy Trails---Two Tents.

daddytwosticks
05-06-2009, 16:01
Esbit tabs are great for section hikers like me. I think you'll have problems if you expect to buy them along the way on a long distance hike. Good luck. :)

Speer Carrier
05-06-2009, 16:09
Thanks to all who responded. I was afraid tablets might be hard to come by. I usually only use one, perhaps two tablets per day, so a 35 day supply wouldn't kill me to carry. I know some do not like them, and I do have a another fuel stove I could bring if need be. I don't drink coffee or tea, and usually have only one hot meal per day, so the esbit stove is fine for my needs. It takes 1/2 a tablet to boil a cup of water and that's all I need for my hot meal so I guess I can get by. Thanks again for the input. Once again, the fine folks at whiteblaze come through with useful info.

Panzer1
06-06-2009, 22:57
I went to the Reading PA air show today. They have a world war 2 German encampment there with authentic rein actors . In one of the camps the guy was cooking with an esbit stove. He said that the German army used esbit in WWII. I didn't know that.

Panzer
ps they didn't have any panzer tanks, just a half track.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 23:02
I almost went Esbit, but heck you never can find them, I even went into an REI and asked them and the the guy looked at me confused and asked me what an Esbit tablet was. Funny thing was they actually had them lol. My humble advice is, Build yourself a multi fuel stove. I like running alcohol in mine, but just about any liquid fuel will work, even gas, but it scares me lol.

Wheeler
06-07-2009, 03:41
I used an esbit stove all through my AT hike and been using it on my PCT hike up to KM (703miles). But I also carry some food that doesn't need cooking. It all depends on your maildrop situation. Mag's is right, buy 'em in bulk and it's no prob. Some outfitter's carry them, but don't count on it. Definitly don't expect to find 'em anywhere else.Only place might be an army/navy store that will sell something comparable.The trick to this is buying in bulk, and having 'em in your drops.

Yahtzee
06-07-2009, 09:28
Dude, Esbit rock. You don't need to carry the stove, just find a couple of rocks to balance your pot on. You'll be in the woods it won't be that hard.

As for availability, just send some to HF in a maildrop.

My only problem with Esbit's is the price, but you can find some deals online. I prefer Couglan's Fuel Tabs. They are half the price and work nearly as well. They don't last as long, but two usually does the trick.

Good luck.

conmcb25
06-07-2009, 09:36
Lots of great home made stoves at this site:

http://zenstoves.net/

I'm a big fan of the Penny Wood burning stove, you could invert the stove, put a peice of foil down and burn your esbit tabs when you can get them. But for your needs a handfull of twigs a day will heat up your dinner, and you collect the fuel as you go along. Ive used my Penny Stove almost exclusively on three backpacking trips and love it.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/pennywood.html

Speer Carrier
06-07-2009, 10:47
I posed the original question about esbit tablets and their availability between Daleville, VA and Duncannon, PA. I was able to find them at every outfitter along the way as well as the camp stores in the Shenny's, on my recent hike.

Fiann
06-07-2009, 22:45
Thanks for the final comment Speer, I plan on using an esbit on a similar stretch.

mustangpwr98
06-17-2009, 11:12
Outiftters at harpers ferry carries them

Doctari
06-17-2009, 16:31
Alcohol is easier to get than Esbit.
Most other fuels are easier to get than Esbit.

Some solid fuel tablets that are not Esbit (Army surplus Trioxine) may be avalable, but don't burn nearly as well (IMHO) as the Esbit. I had to use 3 times the number of trioxine as the Esbit, , , I had only practiced with the Esbit at home.

Im just sayin.