PDA

View Full Version : Down Fill power question??

Rosborn88
05-06-2009, 16:18
I see companies claiming 850++ 900 fill power.. I this true? When I made some of my home made down projects the companies that I bought my bulk down from told me to be weary of claims this high. Does anyone know if fill power that high is simply marketing to get us to pay more money for sleeping bags etc?

Valentine
05-06-2009, 16:29
There are reputable companies that sell bags with that loft power (800+) so I would say still be careful but there is such a thing. Jacks R Better is one of them.

Rosborn88
05-06-2009, 16:34
Thanks, I agree there are plenty 800++ bags out there. I guess I'm skeptical of the 850 or 900 claims...

The Will
05-06-2009, 16:56
There used to be a podcast called "Trailcast". On one episode the owner of Western Mountaineering was interviewed and the question of extremely high fill power claims was addressed.

The answer was that the claims of 900+ were based on tests under unrealistic conditions--the down had been in some way manipulated. For example, the down being treated with something special, being hot air "fluffed" prior to testing. . .I don't recall specifics. One of the lines that stands out in my memory was that this treatment really propped the fill rating AT THE TIME OF MEASUREMENT and once the down was shipped to the manufacturer it would in no way be able to attain that same fill power rating if tested again. I believe Marmot was one of the companies who advertised 900+ fill power--they no longer do.

I'd feel confidant in the testing and rating given to the down used by Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends...not to exclude others, but those two are sure bets.

Lyle
05-06-2009, 17:01
Check out this podcast from a couple of years ago. They discuss this very issue with a gentleman from Western Mountaineering.

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/audio/pbpodcast/PBP-28_Western-Mountaineering.mp3

He agrees, the down itself hasn't changed much, but the testing procedures have. I imagine WM has given in to the higher numbers now instead of trying to explain why they were using "lower" quality down.

Rosborn88
05-07-2009, 10:28
This is great! Thanks.

Jayboflavin04
05-08-2009, 09:54
I agree with the others. That pod cast addresses that topic perfectly. It helps also coming from a top brand manufacturer like Western Mountaineering.