PDA

View Full Version : Resupplying on the BMT

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 18:47
What is the situation with resupplying? Is it a cache situation that you need to place drops? Is it easy to hitch to small towns or get shuttles??

Egads
05-06-2009, 19:00
The trail passes by a few stores & the Riverside restaurant on Aska Road.

It's easy to get to Blue Ridge & Ducktown by hitching.

You walk thru Reliance.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2009, 19:01
The trail passes by a few stores & the Riverside restaurant on Aska Road.

It's easy to get to Blue Ridge & Ducktown by hitching.

You walk thru Reliance.

Great thanks!

Mags
05-06-2009, 19:08
Yeah..what he said. :-)

If you decide to stay in Ducktown, TN, you can call the B&B from a payphone just up the road (less than a mile) at the USFS/white water center and the owners will pick you up. Ducktown is 100 miles in, so makes a convenient resupply point.

The owners are VERY awesome people. I don't know if it was off-season, or if I was a "nice, polite, young man", but the Kauffman's not only picked me up, but took me to the grocery story, fed me dinner and breakfast, did my laundry and dropped me to the trail the following morning. All for $59!

Super nice people..and an awesome stop.

http://www.bbonline.com/tn/whitehouse/

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 22:40
I've only hiked from Three Forks to the Ocoee. All I can say is carry enough food to cover that stretch, DO NOT plan on hitching into Blue Ridge because no one will pick you up. My Minibull special fuel bottle leaked about 2/3 of my ethanol and I didn't have enough to make it all the way to TN so I decided to hitch into Blue Ridge when I crossed 5/75. There is a gas station one mile north, no HEET there so I started hitching. The only car that stopped was a GA State Trooper to inform me that I was breaking the law by hitchiking. There is a State Patrol Station in Blue Ridge, they are up and down that highway a lot. If you can do 15-18 miles/day you'll only need 5 days food.

Go to the BMT site and check out the Green Cove Motel. After Ducktown I would mail a resupply there. That should get you to the Smokies.

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 22:47
Also, that Toccoa Riverside Resturant on Aska Rd. is, IIRC, only open in the evenings (4:30PM), and closed on Tuesday. The store at the bridge was closed when I walked past so don't count on it. The first time you cross HWY 60 after you cross the suspension bridge Martin's Dixie Depot is 0.3 miles up the road to your right/east. They have a grill and serve sandwiches but it was Easter when I passed there and they were closed of course. There is a hydrant there also, don't drink from Skenah Creek.

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 22:48
Yeah..what he said. :-)

If you decide to stay in Ducktown, TN, you can call the B&B from a payphone just up the road (less than a mile) at the USFS/white water center and the owners will pick you up. Ducktown is 100 miles in, so makes a convenient resupply point.

The owners are VERY awesome people. I don't know if it was off-season, or if I was a "nice, polite, young man", but the Kauffman's not only picked me up, but took me to the grocery story, fed me dinner and breakfast, did my laundry and dropped me to the trail the following morning. All for $59!

Super nice people..and an awesome stop.

http://www.bbonline.com/tn/whitehouse/

The Kaufmans are SUPER folks, a must stay IMO.