PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Advice

buddha small b
06-14-2004, 09:38
I am considering hiking the A.T. from Duncannon Pa. south to Davenport Gap (route 40). I must be at the Gap no later than August 5th, 2004 so that I can make it to my nieces wedding.
My question is when, what date, do I depart Duncannon?
I am an experienced backpacker, I don't fool around in towns and I would like to allow myself about a 5 day cushion to deal with unforseen circumstances.
I need the opinion of someone with experience through that section and any advice would be helpful.
If I should have started already I can begin farther south if need be, but where?
Thanx,
buddha small b
:-?

Lone Wolf
06-14-2004, 10:03
That's 955 miles or so. If you started today you gotta do 19 miles per day. Start at the north end of Shenandoah Park.It's 700 miles or so to Davenport Gap.

Hammock Hanger
06-14-2004, 10:19
That's 955 miles or so. If you started today you gotta do 19 miles per day. Start at the north end of Shenandoah Park.It's 700 miles or so to Davenport Gap.

It is not impossible to do 19 mile days thru that area. I averaged 15+ m/p/d and I was going slow with a needle in my foot. However, that would be w/o any rest days...

If you are on vacation and want to relax and smell the roses as you hike you might want to think about LW's suggestion of starting at the north end of the SNP. That way you would have some leway and be able to enjoy the hike rather then pushing thru it.

Just my thoughts. Sue/HH