PDA

View Full Version : "Easy" New hiker in Maine

clmshea
05-06-2009, 19:19
Hello. My husband and I are "easy" hikers and are wanting to visit Portland, ME. Does anyone have any advice as to AT itineraries for us? We will probably be there for at least a few days.

warraghiyagey
05-06-2009, 19:23
Ummm. . . in Maine the easiest part would be the 100 mile between Monson and Katahdin or a couple days around the Gulf Hagas area. . . as easy and the AT goes however. . . Maine isn't particularly 'easy'. . . . have a great time though, it's beautiful. . .:sun:sun:sun

TJ aka Teej
05-06-2009, 19:27
Hello. My husband and I are "easy" hikers and are wanting to visit Portland, ME. Does anyone have any advice as to AT itineraries for us? We will probably be there for at least a few days.
Welcome to WB! :welcome
You know the AT isn't very close to Portland, right?

Kirby
05-06-2009, 19:33
I live in Portland.

The 100 Mile Wilderness is at least 4.5 hours away.

Maine 26, which is Grafton Notch, is the closest AT crossing, and that's about 1.5 hours away.

No easy hiking on the AT in that area.

Let me know if you need info on Portland.

max patch
05-06-2009, 20:12
Best advice I can give is don't call yourself Easy Hiker.

You might be mistakenly identified as someone else.

Saint Alfonzo
05-06-2009, 20:25
May I suggest a section between RT 17 and RT 4 . Not too hard, but it will challenge You...

modiyooch
05-07-2009, 00:15
I think that's the same area that I was going to suggest. Isn't that Rangley? That's where I saw my one and only moose.

Another area that is fun, but not AT is Tumbledown MT.

Just a Hiker
05-07-2009, 00:28
Welcome to Maine!! As Kirby has stated, Grafton Notch would be the closest trail crossing to Portland; however, you have Old Speck to your south and Baldpate to your north which aren't "easy". The Rangely to Rt. 17 section is also a good idea and is doable, but again, it's a very long drive to get there from Portland. There's lots of fun stuff to do in Portland if you only have a few days. Take care!

Kirby
05-07-2009, 18:59
Depending on what you are hoping to get out of your hike, you could take the AT NOBO out of Grafton Notch and stop at Baldpate Shelter. The AT, for ME standards, is pretty easy up until that point.

After the shelter is when things fall apart. Fast.

Uncle Tom
05-12-2009, 07:53
There is no easy backpacking hiking in Maine right now. Snow is still present up on higher elevations. The mud is thick, streams and water crossing are high and the black flies should be coming on strong if it stays warm. I agree with Kirby that you should go up to Grafton Notch and do half the Loop trail. You can go slow, but experience the real Maine. I'd suggest the western, the newest half. Heck, it's Maine. All good.