PDA

View Full Version : Trash Bag Liner for Down Sleeping bag?

Foyt20
05-06-2009, 22:15
Is it ok to line the stuff sack of your down sleeping bag with a plastic trash bag to keep it from getting wet from rain or the weather?

I always did it with my synthetic, but I picked up a down sleeping bag last weekend and wanted to check.

Thanks!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

Blissful
05-06-2009, 22:20
Many line their packs with trash compacter liners. I double bag my sleeping bag and clothes with Reynolds oven bags myself.

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 22:28
Is it ok to line the stuff sack of your down sleeping bag with a plastic trash bag to keep it from getting wet from rain or the weather?

I always did it with my synthetic, but I picked up a down sleeping bag last weekend and wanted to check.

Thanks!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

The reverse of what you are saying is what I do. Line your pack with a Hefty Trash Compactor bag, load your sleeping bag stuff sack and anything else that HAS to stay dry like clothing etc. Then twist the top of the compactor bag and stuff the twisted portion between the pack and the compactor bag. It is rainproof then. If you want to do a stream crossing, you need to gooseneck the top and put a rubber band on it.. Your raingear, cook kit, food bag etc can just go in the top of the pack. No real need to waterproof that stuff.

garlic08
05-07-2009, 00:15
Exactly what Take-a-knee says. Except I don't bother with a stuff sack anymore. My sleeping bag fits perfectly just stuffed into the bottom of the pack, and when it's wet I use the compactor bag as a pack liner.

The Will
05-07-2009, 00:18

To directly answer your question, yes it is OK. There is no reason, specific to the care of a down sleeping bag, why it cannot be placed in a trash compactor.

...the unsolicited part...Sea-To-Summit makes some drybags with roll top closures that are VERY light. The weight gain over the trash compactor bag would be minimal, the durability far greater and you could feel more secure about your bag staying dry in continuous rain or river crossings.

Turtlehiker
05-07-2009, 11:02
Yup I like the sea to summit dry bags I use one for a pack liner and keep all my dry clothes and sleeping bag inside. Just do not pack wet/damp clothes inside with your sleeping bag.

Foyt20
05-07-2009, 13:44
Ok good, i just wanted to check to make sure there wouldnt be any mildew or anything caused.

Thanks for the responses everyone :D

Reid
05-07-2009, 13:46
I think that some of the above comments are suggesting the use of a liner as opposed to lining a stuff sack as well. If you have a small backpack the down may distort the volume of the pack when allowed to fill in those extra spaces.

Rain Man
05-07-2009, 14:31
I do exactly what you suggest, except I use a Reynolds turkey oven roasting bag... small and light and clear... tough and just the right size. Never had a problem with mildew, but then never stored my down bag in it either.

BTW, the Reynolds bag is multi-purpose. You can stuff your dirty boots in it and slide it into the bottom of your sleeping bag at night. I have never had frozen boots, not once.

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 08:30
STuff sacks are not necessary.

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 09:47
The reverse of what you are saying is what I do. Line your pack with a Hefty Trash Compactor bag, load your sleeping bag stuff sack and anything else that HAS to stay dry like clothing etc. Then twist the top of the compactor bag and stuff the twisted portion between the pack and the compactor bag. It is rainproof then. If you want to do a stream crossing, you need to gooseneck the top and put a rubber band on it.. Your raingear, cook kit, food bag etc can just go in the top of the pack. No real need to waterproof that stuff.

Awesome tip!!!!