PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Hiking Speed

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 22:39
Would i be considered a slow hiker if i only do 10 miles a day?

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 22:40
That and if anyone Has Idea's or any info on backpacking/Hiking Please tell me ,i Wanna learn as much as possible from Seasoned WB's-TEACH ME lol

Kanati
05-06-2009, 22:54

Depends on the terrain, your level of conditioning and how long it takes you to do the 10 miles. Starting out you probably want to take it easy, maybe 7 miles a day for a few days, then bump it up a mile or so per day and work your way up. If you are in reasonably good condition, and not over weight too much, at the end of 3 weeks you should be able to click off 15 mile days in average terrain.

Also remember, it's the journey that counts and you are out there to have fun and enjoy nature. Don't be too concerned about miles.

Happy hiking. :sun

Many Walks
05-06-2009, 22:54
Depends on how long it takes you to do it. Could hike it fast, but just like fewer miles and more time in camp. Met one guy who stayed at every shelter, no matter how close they were to each other.

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 22:57
i do a mile in about 30 minutes, But i also like to stop and take pictures and enoy where i am

Many Walks
05-06-2009, 23:12
2 miles per hour is an average comfortable speed with time for pics. Like Kanati says, you should plan to start slower with fewer miles and work your way up to more miles if you like. Too many people start with heavy packs and try to do too many miles and get hurt. Work your way up to getting your trail legs and you'll hit sections where you'll easily do 26+ a day. He's also right about enjoying the journey and not being overly concerned about the miles. You'll do just fine! Enjoy your hike!!!

Frosty
05-06-2009, 23:14
i do a mile in about 30 minutes, But i also like to stop and take pictures and enoy where i amTwo miles an hour is pretty average, I would think. If there are steep uphills, two miles an hour would be pretty good.

But don't worry about applying tags to your hiking or hiking style, and resist those nimrods who will try to pigeon hole you by saying you are hiking too slow, too fast, or too whatever. You hike at the pace YOU feel comfortable.

If you want to do more miles per day you are actually better off injury wise hiking more hours at a pace that feels right rather than trying to hike faster than your "normal" pace. Going faster than natural, especially downhill, leads to knee problems. sometimes it's hard not to, though, when there is a five mile downhill to the road crossing leading to town.

Frosty
05-06-2009, 23:15
Depends on how long it takes you to do it. Could hike it fast, but just like fewer miles and more time in camp. Met one guy who stayed at every shelter, no matter how close they were to each other.He's probably still trying to get away from Stratton Pond :D

JAK
05-06-2009, 23:17
Do you mean is 10 miles a fast day, or do you mean is 10 miles/day a fast average thru-hike?

I haven't hiked the AT. I can only speak from hiking the Fundy Footpath (rugged with alot of net elevation gain), and some medium and easy trails. Total weight on feet slows you done fairly linearly. You can go 10% faster if you are 10% lighter, total weight on feet. So you shouldn't really try and compare yourself to people of comparable work capacity that are carrying much more weight or much less weight. Also, I found a rugged trail with alot of net elevation gain slowed me down alot, whereas I didn't find much difference between easy and medium.

I haven't done any hikes over 5 days that I can remember. Totally different kettle of fish I should think.

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 23:19
Thanks, why do people stop at every Shelter,I like looking around them if im not staying there,but actually spending the night? WHY?

Lone Wolf
05-06-2009, 23:20
Thanks, why do people stop at every Shelter,I like looking around them if im not staying there,but actually spending the night? WHY?

fear and laziness

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 23:23
Yeah,i mean i consider myse;f pretty quick,but i dont wanna do like 20 miles a day, you know? why rush something like the AT? im not to worried about cold weather seasons. so i kinda wanna hike slower.From living in fairbanks AK a little 10 degree weather is like fall for me .

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-06-2009, 23:24
I have seen young kids like 13 do 20+ a day but I like doing between 7 and 11, although I have a week coming up I think I want to push for 20+.

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 23:25
HMMM,i think theres something wrong with my laptop, it either doesen type the letters i push or goese capital,starting to get really annoying

JAK
05-06-2009, 23:31
I think if your are young and lean and light enough you can do some 20 mile days without feeling it any more than someone like myself pushing a 14 mile day. Don't feel like you have to slow down with fat old farts like me in order to enjoy your hike.

Reid
05-06-2009, 23:32
I hate I walked so fast through alot of places. It's to your benefit to get the best of what's out there and sometimes obsessing over miles can take away from that.

JAK
05-06-2009, 23:39
It's nice to be able to hike with your head up to, rather than hangin low staring at your feet as you trudge along. Limiting the total weight on your feet enables you to do that, but again its all relative. Also, nothing wrong with a good long trudge now and then either.

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2009, 23:42
Yeah its a great feeling to achieve milage but not if you dnt see anything

JAK
05-06-2009, 23:48
First time I hiked the Fundy Footpath I hiked really slow, and still didn't see much. Still had a blast, but later learned to hike it and enjoy it alot more, fast or slow. I think if your only doing a long trail once though, it makes sense to try and keep your head up most of the time, take as much in as you can. Not sure how good I would be at that yet.

JAK
05-06-2009, 23:49
I think its easier with less weight though, not so much to hike faster, just to see more.

Rockhound
05-07-2009, 06:17
It ain't a race. As long as you consistently go between 1/2 and 5 mph. you'll do fine. Stopwatch not needed.

kayak karl
05-07-2009, 06:28
It ain't a race. As long as you consistently go between 1/2 and 5 mph. you'll do fine. Stopwatch not needed.
lol. you wouldn't jog through an Art Museum ;)

Marta
05-07-2009, 07:08
It's nice not to have deadlines or daily mileage requirements. Some days it's raining and you're tired and you might not want to stir out of the tent or shelter, but just lay there dozing and reading and doing nothing at all. Some days you're bursting with energy and it feels so good to move and breathe that the miles and hours fly by. Most days are somewhere in the middle--it feels good to walk and it feels great to stop walking.

fiddlehead
05-07-2009, 08:02

Depends who you are comparing yourself to.
IF it's Karl Metzger or a speed hiker, I'd say yes.

If it's Tom Brown (who likes to sit in one spot for a few days and watch the insects crawl over him and stuff like that), I'd say no.

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2009, 08:21
Depends who you are comparing yourself to.
IF it's Karl Metzger or a speed hiker, I'd say yes.

If it's Tom Brown (who likes to sit in one spot for a few days and watch the insects crawl over him and stuff like that), I'd say no.
Yes, all things are relative.

It varies, depend who you're hiking with; you could come up with an average speed based on everyones opinion here, probably around 12-15 mpd. However, if you jump on the trail with a bunch of thru-hikers, say somewhere north of Damascus, then the "normal" distance per day would be ~20mpd -- and they'll do a mile in no less than 20 minutes.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 10:25

No youd be considered a hiker! Fast slow, does it really matter? Just sayin. Remember the real reason you are out there. "For those who seek fellowship with the woods":sun

10-K
05-07-2009, 10:32
I can't hike slow... I've tried it and it makes me nuts. I also like to start at dawn and hike until dusk so I tend to cover a lot of ground in a day. 2 miles and hour is about right, which includes breaks, lunch, pumping water and what not.

As you can probably guess, I hike alone. :)

wrongway_08
05-07-2009, 10:57
Good begining milage.

John B
05-07-2009, 10:58
I can't hike slow... I've tried it and it makes me nuts. I also like to start at dawn and hike until dusk so I tend to cover a lot of ground in a day. 2 miles and hour is about right, which includes breaks, lunch, pumping water and what not.

As you can probably guess, I hike alone. :)

Agree 100%. When I first started hiking some years ago, 14-16 miles/day was OK for me; now +20 miles/day feels good. I also like to hike from dawn to about 60-90 min. before sunset and rarely take more than 20-30 min for lunch. I don't think that I hike that fast, but on the other hand I don't get tired.

I like to get into a steady, moderately quick walking pace, and lots of breaks and pauses seems to prevent establishing a rythm.

I got seriously into distance running a few years ago, so maybe that accounts for it.

Gray Blazer
05-07-2009, 11:02
I am the slowest hiker on WB.

It helps if you don't sleep in till 10:00.

Get an early start. Take a nap around lunch, hike till 6:00. That way you're going to get at least 12 miles.

10-K
05-07-2009, 12:18
Agree 100%. When I first started hiking some years ago, 14-16 miles/day was OK for me; now +20 miles/day feels good. I also like to hike from dawn to about 60-90 min. before sunset and rarely take more than 20-30 min for lunch. I don't think that I hike that fast, but on the other hand I don't get tired.

I like to get into a steady, moderately quick walking pace, and lots of breaks and pauses seems to prevent establishing a rythm.

I got seriously into distance running a few years ago, so maybe that accounts for it.

I'm a runner too - that's probably it.

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 12:33
i LIKE TO HIKE AT MY PACE,IM NOT SURE IF ITS FAST OR SLOW BUT ITS GOOD, I MEAN I SMOKE,AND I SEE MY FRIENDS WHO SMOKE WALK THROUGH THE WALL AND GET TIRED OUT AND HAVE TO SIT DOWN.iM LIKE WOW I HIKE 10 TO 15 MILES OVER ROUGH TERRAIN AND MOUNTAINS A DAY AND IM NOT THAT TIRED,I MUST BE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE,OH!!!! MY TRAILS LEGS ARE STARTING TO FORM YESSS!!! MUSCLE STARTING TO REALLY SHOW IM FREAKING PROUD

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 12:34
Mall* I Meant In My Last Massage

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 14:18
i LIKE TO HIKE AT MY PACE,IM NOT SURE IF ITS FAST OR SLOW BUT ITS GOOD, I MEAN I SMOKE,AND I SEE MY FRIENDS WHO SMOKE WALK THROUGH THE WALL AND GET TIRED OUT AND HAVE TO SIT DOWN.iM LIKE WOW I HIKE 10 TO 15 MILES OVER ROUGH TERRAIN AND MOUNTAINS A DAY AND IM NOT THAT TIRED,I MUST BE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE,OH!!!! MY TRAILS LEGS ARE STARTING TO FORM YESSS!!! MUSCLE STARTING TO REALLY SHOW IM FREAKING PROUD

You wont get "trail legs" til you have been hiking for about a month. Its good you are in great shape though. I was in really good condition before I started and def had a head start on getting my legs. You get them from hiking day in and day out.

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 16:04
Ehh either way shape is def starting to show from past little hikes ive been doing,they were starting to go back to normal from not hiking for months

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 18:40
Ehh either way shape is def starting to show from past little hikes ive been doing,they were starting to go back to normal from not hiking for months

Thats the key, do what you can til you get out there. You will def be ahead of the game, no pun intended, and will just enjoy your hike more if you are in better shape when you pass that first whiteblaze. Good luck and have fun

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 20:13
I've done parts of the AT ,then suttin always goese wrong like the first time was my knee then this time was my bro forgeting his meds,very annoying.But yeah im going to be so excited when i actually get out there

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 21:42
I've done parts of the AT ,then suttin always goese wrong like the first time was my knee then this time was my bro forgeting his meds,very annoying.But yeah im going to be so excited when i actually get out there

Are you goin solo? Best to go alone sometimes to have your own fun and not have to worry about anyone else but yourself.

Egads
05-07-2009, 21:50
Hiking speed and MPD are two different things to me.

I can go much faster mph for 8 miles than I can for 30 miles.

You can generally hike more hours and miles per day with a moderate pace than a fast pace.

As others have said; hike as fast or as long as you want to. It's your hike. Only you know your body's limits and what motivates you to push it.

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 22:09
Yes,i would rather hike 10 miles my pace than 20 fast,whats the point of 20 to 30 miles a day> i mean you'd miss everything

Egads
05-07-2009, 22:44
Yes,i would rather hike 10 miles my pace than 20 fast,whats the point of 20 to 30 miles a day> i mean you'd miss everything

I disagree about missing everything. I work and have a family. I see more on a hiking weekend when putting in the time and miles. Plus, I'm not bored sitting around camp.

My motivation is to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors while getting my exercise in.

It seems that yours is the experience, since you are not rushed by responsibilities.

Boudin
05-08-2009, 00:06
It doesn't matter as long as you are a happy hiker.:)

geek

Alaskanhkr23
05-08-2009, 00:25
No im not rushed i saved up money all winter so i could play all summer LOL

Lemni Skate
05-08-2009, 06:13
A few of the hot shots on here will make you feel like you're doing nothing if you do 10 miles a day, but they're UBER HIKERS.

99% of the population would never do 10 miles in a day with a full pack on.

When I thru hiked SNP, last year I averaged ten miles and I generally hiked about six hours. I was dead tired every day when I was done (except for the last day in which I magically did 18 miles). I was humbled when I got to a shelter and heard the thru hikers clicking off their mileages (26 and 31 stick in mind), but I hiked at around 1.75 miles per hour and passed most people on the trail and I was going farther than everyone except thru-hikers.

This year I did Georgia with my 9 and 11 year old kids and we did about 7 miles a day (my pack was heavier as I was carry extra food for them) so that slowed me down (the kids could have probably hiked a little more), but even then we were right on pace with many people out there.

I am proud of every mile I did and figure if I ever get to do my thru-hike I'll knock it up when I have to.

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 08:12
I was humbled when I got to a shelter and heard the thru hikers clicking off their mileages (26 and 31 stick in mind), but I hiked at around 1.75 miles per hour and passed most people on the trail and I was going farther than everyone except thru-hikers.

Also have to realize that thru-hikers are in the 800-900 mile area by that point and the getting out of Virginia is starting to become a reality.

Kanati
05-08-2009, 11:23
What it boils down to is figure out why you're out there and pace yourself accordingly. If it's the scenery, then hike at a pace which will afford you the best opportunity to catch the next view and then relax and enjoy it.

If miles is your thing, then condition yourself to click em off.

Personally, I like to make miles. I'm 62 and still like speed. I like anything that goes fast !!!! I like to have about 11-12 miles behind me by noon, then I can "slow down" and still get my 18-20 miles for the day pretty easily, which by some hikers standards is not many miles.

Anyway, as the saying goes......here it comes, you've heard it before:

:banana******HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE****** :banana

:banana

Alaskanhkr23
05-08-2009, 11:35
Im Gonna Stick To 10 To 15 Miles A Day An If They Wanna Make Fun Then They Can Go Hike To The Next Shelter If There So Fast

kyhipo
05-08-2009, 12:21
Im Gonna Stick To 10 To 15 Miles A Day An If They Wanna Make Fun Then They Can Go Hike To The Next Shelter If There So Fastall that really matters is what you think!I use to hike 20's all the time but I prefer 10-15 or heck even a 5 or 7 or 8 who cares:Dky

Alaskanhkr23
05-08-2009, 12:32
Thats right,you cares

jersey joe
05-08-2009, 15:15
I like to have about 11-12 miles behind me by noon...
I always feel pretty good if I can hike 10 miles by noon!

Rockhound
05-08-2009, 16:38
To use another other overused saying, "It's not about the miles. It's about the smiles."

Kirby
05-08-2009, 21:04
Ummm....when you're not thru hiking, hiking speed does not matter.

If you're thru hiking, NOBO for instance, go fast enough, or start early enough, to finish before mid-October.

Besides that, nope.

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 22:01
Wow so my comment was deleted for some reason but as Mags always says
HMOHD

stranger
05-10-2009, 07:33
If you were to look at the average "typical" hiking distance, you would probably find that "most" long distance hikers, once in shape, cover around the 13-17 mile per day range.

So, in my view, I would consider 10 miles per day a leisurely hike, but that doesn't mean slow. There are hikers who can cover 10 miles in 3 hours, that's certainly not slow, and then there are hikers who might take 7-8 hours to cover that distance, one could argue that might be on the slow side.

There are two things to consider, pace and mileage. Pace doesn't really change, for many of us it may gradually decline at a very slow rate as we get older, but because pace is largely based on your stride (which doesn't change), we tend to cover the same distances in the same timeframes, or it's so close it doesn't really matter. For example, in 1995 I could easily hike all day at around the 3.1 - 3.2 mph mark, where as last year I noticed I was slightly slower than that, around 2.8 - 2.9. Keep in mind the first figure was when I was 19, the second at age 33, however I suspect this will decline once again in my forties.

Mileage is another beast all together. Typically, the faster someone hikes, meaning a fast pace, the more miles they will hike in a day because they will probably hike for the same amount of time as most other hikers, but will just cover more ground. While there seems to be somewhat of a assumption that hikers with a slow pace walk shorter days, I've often found this to be false. The single greatest factor in doing longer days is to spend more time hiking and less time sitting around camp, this applies to everyone. Some of the "fastest" hikers out there do not actually hike fast, but they do start walking at 7am and stop at 7-8pm.

There is no such thing as fast or slow, there are only comparisons to what other people are doing. And because thru-hiking has a window in terms of weather, and thru-hikers have a window in terms of time and money, most hikers will have to do more than 10 miles per day in order to accomodate those factors.

It also depends on what you like about long distance hiking, I for one like hiking more than camping, so I would rather walk all day than get into camp at 3pm and stare into the forest, others might prefer doing shorter days and spending 5 hours each day lounging around.

It just depends on what you prefer, that's the only thing that matters.

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2009, 08:04
If you were to look at the average "typical" hiking distance, you would probably find that "most" long distance hikers, once in shape, cover around the 13-17 mile per day range.

So, in my view, I would consider 10 miles per day a leisurely hike, but that doesn't mean slow. There are hikers who can cover 10 miles in 3 hours, that's certainly not slow, and then there are hikers who might take 7-8 hours to cover that distance, one could argue that might be on the slow side....
I remember when I first started in 2006, I considered the 3 mile hike from slaughter creek campsite to Neel Gap a NERO (Near Zero Day). However, as time went on the mileage necessary to qualify as a NERO increased. I considered the 10 mile hike from Abingdon Gap shelter to Damascus, Va. a NERO.

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 12:38
When I first started I considered 3 miles an exhausting WORKOUT!

Spirit Walker
05-11-2009, 10:12
Don't worry so much about what others are doing. Chances are, they really don't care what you are doing - they're focused on their own experience. When people brag, they usually aren't intending an insult to you, just a boast about themselves. Smile and nod and don't worry about it. As long as you aren't harming the land or the trail - nobody cares what you are doing. Hike 3 miles a day or hike 30 - it really doesn't affect my hke at all.

When we did the PCT, I worried that the Jardinazis would make fun of us about our heavier packs and slower pace. If they did, I never heard it. Most people are more polite than that. The ones that aren't - who cares what they think? We passed a few people and were passed by a few others - but everybody was polite, if not friendly. Remember that the internet arguments are much different from the conversations you have with people on the trail.

Hike at a pace that is comfortable for you. We each have to figure out what kind of experience we want out of our hikes. Doing more miles doesn't necessarily mean hiking faster - it just means hiking more hours. Some folks get up with the sun - some don't. Some like to hike until dark, some like to relax a bit in the evening. Some take breaks to enjoy a swim or a view, some don't bother. It's totally up to you. I enjoy hiking, but I also enjoy camping and relaxing at views and swimming holes. I also have a body that gets excessively painful if I try to do too many miles. But I do hike a fairly long day - so I can thruhike long trails without too much worry about winter coming. On the AT that meant an average pace of about 12 mpd. On the PCT it was 19 mpd. You do what you need to for the trail you're on.

JAK
05-11-2009, 10:42
Whatever gets you out there is a good thing. If you are lean, you can compare yourself to others on a mile/day basis. If you are heavy, you might want to do it on a pound-mile per day basis. If you have a young daughter, you might want to just carry everything and just see how far they want to go at their own pace, and somedays they might want to stop at a beach and just poke around all day. Whatever get you out there. I do a little of all three, but I don't do enough of it. Hike on.

KevinAce
05-11-2009, 13:40
If there's one thing I've learned, it's to hike at your own pace. You'll have people tell you they do 20 mile days. Some do, but I am confident that a lot do not and are full of hot air. A lot will tell you "that trail is a piece of cake, no problem!". It may be for them, but oftentimes it is not. I think a lot of people exaggerate the difficulty level of a trail just to make themselves look/feel better (not to mention, you typically forget the bad when you look at a hike in retrospect).

It shouldn't matter if you do 5, 10, 15, or 20 miles per day. Do what's best for you so you can enjoy it. I've tried to do more miles than I'm capable of before to try to keep up with a faster paced group or meet deadlines I set based on an over-ambitious agenda...and the results were not good. Now that I'm just hiking my hike, it's a lot more enjoyable. As you hike more and more, your pace will increase.

I was 350 lbs and not in the best of shape last year for a hike in VA and really struggled with 20 miles in 2 days (granted it was in a difficult section which I didn't know about at the time). This past weekend I did 21 miles in 2 days (I'm 280 lbs now) at my own pace and enjoyed the hell out of it. Often times my group would get a few minutes ahead...but they'd just take a break, enjoy the views, and wait for me to catch up. In the end, everybody had a great time...and hiked their own pace.

JAK
05-11-2009, 14:03
10 miles a day at 350 lbs, even 280 lbs. Holy **** Batman.
You're going to be walking on air when you get down to 220. Keep the faith hombre.

KevinAce
05-11-2009, 15:24
10 miles a day at 350 lbs, even 280 lbs. Holy **** Batman.
You're going to be walking on air when you get down to 220. Keep the faith hombre.I hardly call it 10 miles at 350 lbs. It was from Massie Gap to Thomas Knob (little short) and I was miserable (close to death actually...hypothermic). But yeah...I'm 280 now and just did 22 (TN 91 to Damascus) and enjoyed the hell out of it. I am really looking forward to being at a lower weight...will just make it all that much easier.

JAK
05-11-2009, 15:28
Easy there. It's ok to love the forest, just don't love the forest if you know what I mean.
Second thought, as long as its working for ya you just keep on rocking. Hike on Dude.

JAK
05-11-2009, 15:35
Seriously though, 22 miles at 280 pounds plus gear is really truckin. Great stuff. Anyone that gets out for a 22 mile weekend is just living right, but you are really living well. Very inspirational. Did you lose a pound or two over the weekend, or did you bother to check? Just curious because I'm looking to get out for a weekend soon, and wondering what impact it might have besides making me really freakin happy like it always does and for the life of me can't figure out why I don't do it more often. Cheers.

KevinAce
05-11-2009, 16:16
Yeah I'm pretty proud of the 22 miles @ 280 lbs (or any weight really). It was hard work but very rewarding. Most guys my size don't attempt **** like this...so it's a nice accomplishment.

I figured I burned about ~12,000 calories from the hiking and ~5000 from my BMR. I expended about 17,000 calories and ate only 3000 for a deficit of 14,000 calories. At 3500 calories/pound, I should have probably lost about 4 or so lbs.

I stopped weighing myself actively quite a bit ago because with water weight and day routines, it fluctuates too much. I'd bust my ass some weeks and would lose 1 pound and go half assed another week and lose 2 or 3. I don't actively weigh myself anymore...so I can't really tell you how much I lost. But by the math of it...about 4 lbs or so.

Mags
05-11-2009, 18:46
I like beer.

JAK
05-11-2009, 18:59
Yeah I'm pretty proud of the 22 miles @ 280 lbs (or any weight really). It was hard work but very rewarding. Most guys my size don't attempt **** like this...so it's a nice accomplishment.

I figured I burned about ~12,000 calories from the hiking and ~5000 from my BMR. I expended about 17,000 calories and ate only 3000 for a deficit of 14,000 calories. At 3500 calories/pound, I should have probably lost about 4 or so lbs.

I stopped weighing myself actively quite a bit ago because with water weight and day routines, it fluctuates too much. I'd bust my ass some weeks and would lose 1 pound and go half assed another week and lose 2 or 3. I don't actively weigh myself anymore...so I can't really tell you how much I lost. But by the math of it...about 4 lbs or so.Those are some crazy numbers, but not totally out of wack considering your weight and age. Body fat contains some water though, so 3000 calories/pound is a better number to figure out weight loss for calorie deficit. Well done. Keep hiking.

Engine
05-11-2009, 19:19
I have seen young kids like 13 do 20+ a day but I like doing between 7 and 11, although I have a week coming up I think I want to push for 20+.

Caboose and I just got back from a great 4 days in GSMNP in which we did 68 miles, including 22 and 20 the last 2 days. Now, I must be honest and tell you that my feet are wrecked from hiking the 22 mile day which was mostly in the rain and wet feet are not happy feet. Those distances were not planned but forced by the vastly overfull creeks which were uncrossable in 2 locations causing long days to stay on schedule to get home in time. Thankfully we hike light enough that it was doable but I would advise against the low areas of GSMNP for the next week or so to let the water recede. The terrain was very up and down with some really long climbs so if us grandparents can do it, anyone can. ;)

JAK
05-11-2009, 19:28
Well done gramps. Gramps at 43 eh. Cool. I think the secret is to plan for 15 mile or so days, but leave some flexibilty so if it ends up being 10 miles/day it still works out, and pack light enough so if it has to be a 20 miles/day grind that is do-able also.

RockStar
05-12-2009, 00:40
I can tell you that I have tried 3 times to make a go at at least a huge chunk of the trail, if not the whole thing. Each time I thought going as fast as possible would save me money because it wouldn't take longer and i could keep up with my new friends. My personal best at nearly 40% body fat was 10 miles in 4 hours. I did 2 face plants and didn't stop to eat. Another day in the woods was more food I wouldn't have. That was my last attempt. I didn't make it past Fontana Dam that time because my knees were screaming with tendonitis and I had a pinched nerve in my foot. Every time I try to go faster than I SHOULD my body pays a huge price and my dreams are crushed by having to come home injured. So I decided I wasn't going back until I had enough money to take as many zeros and buy as much food and medcal attention as I needed...until I have my body fat in healthy range(which I do), strengthen my muscles, tendons, and ligaments...and can SLOW THE HELL DOWN. I compete against myself. I hope there aren't many people as stupid as I am in beating yourself up to beat yourself, which is ultimately losing. lol I can do 10 miles in 4 hours at 40% body fat...what did it prove or provide? The all you can eat pancake breakfast wasn't until the next morning and takes place daily...lol Town wasn't going anywhere. Silly me.

Alaskanhkr23
05-12-2009, 01:00
how long do you guys think it would take to hike from Kent to vermont to go to hikers fest?

Alaskanhkr23
05-12-2009, 01:01
10 to 15 miles a day

ShelterLeopard
07-05-2009, 13:24

Yeah, but who cares? Most hikers average 16-18 miles a day (with zero days averaged in) Most likely, you'll start doing 7-10 miles a day like everyone else, and you'll start hiking farther without realizing it as you get more fit. But if you want to do 10 miles a day and enjoy the scenery even more, go for it. I like doing 20 miles in a day because I'm slightly masochistic and I like pushing. (That is a lot for me, because I've never done more than three weeks at a time, and doing 20 in the first couple days is painful- I don't recommend it)

alalskaman
07-05-2009, 16:39
I have decided, with my 65 summers and diabetic metabolism, that I need to start out slow and then slow down. I just did a 13 mile day on a trail near here...took me 7 hours including a rest about every 3 miles, plus a 45 minute lunch break. There was a bit of elevation gain - on the uphill part, I averaged 1.7 mph..on the downhill leg, more like 2 1/2 mph. Slow by anyone's standards, I think. Main point to me is, I never felt pooped, pulse rate never exceeded 124, and I could have done a few more miles. I feel great today, could do another day just like it.

As I side note, I did the exact same hike when I was 25...It took a little over 3 hours. BUT I had tremendous leg pain...on the drive home, I had to use my hands to help lift my left leg up to the clutch...and was wretchedly sore for a couple of days.

I would LIKE to think I can work up to 18 or 20 mile days...to cut down on the amount of food I have to carry, but don't know if it is realistic based on my physique. I would also like to handle the uphill parts better. So far, doing squats or leg machine exercises doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe "I yam what I yam." Still I am so glad to be able to get out there and dig nature.

unclehud
07-14-2009, 23:37
Mileage depends on several factors, the major ones being ...

1) Your backpacking shape: cardio, muscle tone, ability to shoulder the packweight
2) Terrain: steeper is slower -- up is slowest, but down is slow, too
3) Weather: mud, wet rocks, air temp
4) Pack weight: heavy makes it hard to go fast
5) Food and water already in your belly: calories ready to burn
6) Attitude: "Jeez, this is way too hard!"
7) Hiking companions

unclehud
07-14-2009, 23:42
8) Hours of sunlight

I've had enough experience to know I hike, fully burdened, about 2 mph on steep terrain and 3 mph on moderate terrain. I always budget 2 hours in the morning for cooking and breaking camp, and stop with about 1 hour of sunlight remaining to set up the tent and cook dinner.

Miles per day can be figured from all those parameters, and varies widely.

fredmugs
07-15-2009, 13:42
A few of the hot shots on here will make you feel like you're doing nothing if you do 10 miles a day, but they're UBER HIKERS.

99% of the population would never do 10 miles in a day with a full pack on.

When I thru hiked SNP, last year I averaged ten miles and I generally hiked about six hours. I was dead tired every day when I was done (except for the last day in which I magically did 18 miles). I was humbled when I got to a shelter and heard the thru hikers clicking off their mileages (26 and 31 stick in mind), but I hiked at around 1.75 miles per hour and passed most people on the trail and I was going farther than everyone except thru-hikers.

This year I did Georgia with my 9 and 11 year old kids and we did about 7 miles a day (my pack was heavier as I was carry extra food for them) so that slowed me down (the kids could have probably hiked a little more), but even then we were right on pace with many people out there.

I am proud of every mile I did and figure if I ever get to do my thru-hike I'll knock it up when I have to.

So hiking the 75 miles from Atkins - Damascus in 3 days and doing the 50 miles from there to Dennis Cove this Friday and Saturday makes me a hot shot uber hiker? Cool!

Seriously - the best advice you can get from this site is HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE. I normally get up when or before it's light outside and hit the trail early. Sitting around on my @$$ is not for me and I would rather shoot myself than pull into a shelter at 2:00 so I tend to hike until an hour so before it gets dark. I probably go 2.5 mph and end up averaging 2.2 mph when you factor in the breaks. I've found that hiking at a slower pace means I can go longer between breaks.

fredmugs
07-15-2009, 13:54
Mileage depends on several factors, the major ones being ...

1) Your backpacking shape: cardio, muscle tone, ability to shoulder the packweight
2) Terrain: steeper is slower -- up is slowest, but down is slow, too
3) Weather: mud, wet rocks, air temp
4) Pack weight: heavy makes it hard to go fast
5) Food and water already in your belly: calories ready to burn
6) Attitude: "Jeez, this is way too hard!"
7) Hiking companions

This is exactly what I mean by hike your own hike.

2. I hike faster uphill than I do downhill. Mostly because I'm an awesome hotshot uber hiker with tremendous leg strength :sun and I intentionally go slower downhill to protect my 46 y/o knees.

4. True in general...maybe. I have a 15 ounce GoLite pack and with 20 pounds in it the lack of a hip belt causes the pack to irritate the middle of my back and I had to stop more often just to get the pack off. I also have 4.5 lb military back and can knock out 20+ mile days with 35 - 40 pounds (uber) no problem.

5. :confused:

6. Concur! Nothing gets me more pumped up than seeing a 1,000 foot or higher elevation gain.

7. Hiking companions will definitely slow you down.

Plodderman
07-15-2009, 14:05
Two miles per hour is comfortable and ten miles might be okay starting out but 12 to 15 is better with an occasional twenty miler.

I hike with a group sometimes but we hike at our own pace and we usually go 15 to 18 miles a day.

Seems like after a few days of hiking you hit a nice pace and build up some endurance. It is always different when hiking in a new place and we do not like to set up camp to early so we hike farther to eat up some time.

CowHead
07-15-2009, 14:06
not me at 51 and 218 I like doing 10 - 15 per day, 20+ I did once and boy did that hurt...

bessiebreeze
07-15-2009, 20:44
This sure has been a long discussion on hiking speed. It seems to be a very major consideration when doing the AT. With all this much emphasis on speed, don't you think the trail should be renamed to "The Appalachian Foot Race"?

nca777
07-15-2009, 21:09
10-12 miles in the rockies carrying an average load can totally wipe you out. Getting up in elevation makes a big difference, add in both the physical and mental fortitude it takes to navigate steep and rocky terrain and the miles per day can drop quickly.

My point is; terrain makes a huge difference both mentally and physically. It may be easy for you to time a footpath walk or easy trail and think youre doing pretty good, but climbing a mountian, having a long distance destination, or overcoming unending obstacles usually takes its toll.

Dr O
07-15-2009, 21:12

not if your arm is broken

clured
07-15-2009, 22:47
This sure has been a long discussion on hiking speed. It seems to be a very major consideration when doing the AT. With all this much emphasis on speed, don't you think the trail should be renamed to "The Appalachian Foot Race"?

most original post on whiteblaze