PDA

View Full Version : SNP: Sunscreen, shuttles and blue-blazes

tlbj6142
06-14-2004, 10:12
This coming weekend my father and I are going to meet up with my brother on the AT (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4945). We are currently planning to meet him at Swift Run Gap (US33). I expect us to leave the trail at Thornton Gap (US211).

Are there any long exposed areas along this stretch that would require the use of sunscreen? I burn if exposed for an hour or more during peak UV hours.

Any shuttle recomendations to get us back to our car (at US33) Monday afternoon? I assume the hitch will be fairly easy. But just in case... I read you can't hitch on the BRP, are the rangers a-holes about this?

Also, I see that there are several water falls along this stretch. Any worth the trip? Depending on how my father and I feel, we may drop down for a look (and a dip).

Looks like there are 2-3 resturants along this section as well. I can probably carry a bit less food, correct?

Thanks. Its going to be hot and humid. But at least I won't be a work. My father is so excited, I think I'm going to have to smack him a few times just to keep him from wetting himself.:D

jlb2012
06-14-2004, 10:53
I can't think of any stretch that is too long with out tree cover. Worse exposure would probably be if you hang out on some of the overlooks or outside the Waysides. Only real exposed area in the Central District is Big Meadows itself but the AT around Big Meadows is well covered.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2004, 10:58
I've hitched on Skyline Drive and the BRP dozens of times. Never had a problem with rides or rangers.

Kerosene
06-14-2004, 11:37
It's been a long time since I did this section, but I don't recall any long exposed sections. What I do recall is that the gypsy moths had defoliated a lot of the canopy, thereby letting in more sunlight, but I'm not sure if they're as bad as they used to be. A small bottle of sunscreen for both of you is probably worth the weight, applied to your face, ears and neck in the morning at the very least. I'd be less inclined to bring sunglasses.

jlb2012
06-14-2004, 13:10
Gypsy moth has moved on - no longer an issue in SNP other than the Gypsy moth killed oaks that are still coming down as blowdowns. Gypsy moth in general is only a problem for three years in any one site - by the third year all the diseases and other population controls keep the Gypsy moth population down to the point that they are no longer defoliating the trees.