PDA

View Full Version : Walking around the smokies

Nina
05-07-2009, 11:44
Has anyone every gone on a thru-hike and compleately avoided the park and how was it? Were you able hike around it without having to be on the road to much?

modiyooch
05-07-2009, 11:46
I imagine you can. A 20 mile hike for me resulted in a shuttle of over 100 miles.

The Old Fhart
05-07-2009, 11:50
Technically a thru hike is following the A.T. from end-to-end so most hikers wouldn't consider going around the entire Smokies as a thru hike but it is your hike and you can do it as you please. Is there some reason you want to bypass the Smokies? It is an interesting area and worth seeing. Is there an dog involved?

Nina
05-07-2009, 14:57
Technically a thru hike is following the A.T. from end-to-end so most hikers wouldn't consider going around the entire Smokies as a thru hike but it is your hike and you can do it as you please. Is there some reason you want to bypass the Smokies? It is an interesting area and worth seeing. Is there an dog involved?
Yes I plan on bringing my dog and I would not want him to have to be in a kennel because he may get freaked out He had been dumped at the pound 3 times when I found his adorable little perfect self! I can't understand how anyone (let alone 3 different people) could just give up on him. Buy I think he now has a bit of PTSD. The only place he acts like the PERFECT dog in in the woods and at home he hates streets and crowds and loud noise and stuff. He may be ready to go home by the time I get (if I get ) to the smokies anyway. but i just want to look at all the possibilities. thanks for your help

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2009, 15:04
Three people dumped the little guy? I'm a Gilbert and Sullivan type of belief: let the punishment fit the crime. Think we could arrange a dumping of those people?

I'm not aware of any trails that skirt the Smokies. The trail takes you to Fontana, which has only one road leading to it, and also has the lake as a complicating factor. You could road walk, I guess, but I wouldn't advise it, particularly with a dog.

Perhaps you could get a shuttle around the park, and resume hiking from there?

Rouen
05-08-2009, 09:59
might be worth while to try to acclimate him to walking along streets.

sliderule
05-08-2009, 10:06
Is there a dog involved?

Given that the question was posted in the "Dogs on the Appalachian Trail" section of the forum, let's hope so!!!

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 12:34
I would skip the smokies and complete it at the end when your dog is home with loved one.

max patch
05-08-2009, 12:47
I imagine you can. A 20 mile hike for me resulted in a shuttle of over 100 miles.

Ever hike the Grand Canyon? 25 miles hiking from south rim to north rim, and then a 220 mile, 5 1/2 hour shuttle back to your car. Or just turn around and hike back.

Nina
05-09-2009, 11:34
might be worth while to try to acclimate him to walking along streets.
working on it, he's come a long way, he was pretty messed up

sliderule
05-09-2009, 14:26
Were you able hike around it without having to be on the road to much?

There is no reasonable way to hike "around" the Smokies.

Nina
05-09-2009, 15:02
There is no reasonable way to hike "around" the Smokies.
thanks- that idea is out! it was a dumb idea- i have alot of those