PDA

View Full Version : One last SNP question before I leave

10-K
05-07-2009, 12:24
I know it's been raining like crazy up there but as a rule is water easy to come by in SNP?

I normally start off with my 2 liter platy filled and a half liter reserve in a separate bottle then around an hour or so before I plan to stop for the night I max out at a gallon + my platy so I'll have enough to cook dinner, wash up and fix breakfast.

It'd be really cool not to have to lug a bunch of water around...

Lemni Skate
05-08-2009, 14:45
Yes, water is usually not a problem in Shenandoah. Especially in May and early June and as wet as it has been this year you're likely to get sick of it (measurable rain at Big Meadows 30 of last 38 days). The southern part of the park is generally the dryest section so I wouldn't pass up good water opportunities there. Plus, you can get water at all the campgrounds and campstores, and lodges and picnic areas and the group camp.

Furlough
05-08-2009, 16:12
I did a circuit in SNP last weekend. Water was flowing fine, and as you say it has rained everyday this past week.

Furlough

Skyline
05-08-2009, 17:16
The section between Calf Mt. Hut and Blackrock Hut are lacking in water sources where you would want them, so carry plenty there. Other than that you should be fine right now and in the next couple months if not longer.