PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the right trail

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 12:30
I am taking my 3 nephews into Shenandoah for a hike on Staurday, but I still don't know where to start. One is very young so no long hike for him. I want them to experience a shelter so a shelter is a must. I place to park over night is a must. A decent hike with some good views so that the younger 2 will get to see why the oldest and I like hiking so much is a must. We will be coming on 64 so close to 64 would be cool, but not so close we here the road would be great. Not too short either about 3 miles I think would be perfect for the younger 2.
Ok I know I am asking for a lot but does anyone know of a spot that meets these criteria?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 13:52
Nobody? I was thinking maybe loft mountain, but I am afraid there may be a lot of others hiking that area and the 4 year old and 10 year old are not the best behaved in the world

Blissful
05-07-2009, 15:14
I think Hightop hut and Hightop mountain would be good to fulfill your requirements. Park at Smith Roach Gap parking lot. Hike to the shelter for a little over a mile (mostly flat). Then another 0.6 mile to the top of the mountain for a view. Then back down to your car. Round trip probably four miles, but only main uphill is 6/10 of a mile. But it is a ways down the Skyline Drive though from I 64. But then on the way back you can stop at Loft Mtn wayside for a shake.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 15:19
Thanks blissful that sounds like something both the 4 year old and the 10 year old could handle, and if something happened I could pick up one Jonathan could pick up the other and the 2 of us could probably run to the truck little ones in arms lol