PDA

View Full Version : A Kraut is willing to do this - but has questions

el.com
05-07-2009, 12:44
Hey guys :)
First at all something about me: my name is Ben, 20 years old from a small city called Siegburg (near Cologne), Germany.
A few days ago I saw that documentation about the AT on a German TV-channel. Since that day this ***** won't leave me alone. I'm thinking 'bout this all the time. To be accurate I'm having this idea for years to get my backpack and start hiking somewhere for weeks or months, but I never had a special imagination where I should start. I'm feeling there's something different now. I'm doing research on the internet concerning the trail for days. As stupid it may sound, but I'm just feeling like I found my real aim in life or at least a step closer to this. This is not one of my "I think about this a few days and then totally forget it"-phases and also not a kind of post pubertal crap idea to show my friends how awesome I am. I'm serious with that. I want to do the thru-hike. Northbound. Unfortunately it is too late to plan and begin in this season, for I know, planning all that stuff will take time, money and effort. And the fact that I do not live in the USA makes it additional harder. But maybe I can do it for the next season…

But all this deterrence will not make me give up and throw away the idea for this mammoth undertaking. In this case I start asking me many questions about how to start this trip. So the best way to get answers is asking people who did the thru-hike. That's why I'm here.

What kind of experiences did you get on the trail when you hiked it (for the first time)? Do you have any advices, something to pay attention for to somebody who never did a hike of this dimension, especially for foreigners?
Will I even be able to achieve a visa for that long period? And if so: how do I get a visa?

Questions, questions, and even more questions…

I'm grateful for any advices concerning my problems.

Greetings,
Ben

[ Sorry for my bad English – Mein Deutsch ist besser :D ]

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 12:52
Gut Ben, Don; t wissen so viel wie einige dieser Kerle/Mädchen aber seines deff Lebens, das sich ändert, um sogar den kleinsten von DARAN zu tun, ich denke, ich denke, dass Sie es tun sollten, wenn Sie eine Chance bekommen

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 12:53
Ich würde mich Ihnen anschließen, Wenn Sie eine Jahreszeit gehen wollen. Ich bin 23, und ich will zu durch-Wanderung die Spur

sly dog
05-07-2009, 13:03
Welcome to the AT community Ben. I think you will find the answers to a lot of your questions here, just bounce around some of the forums. It's nice to see people from around the world have an interest in the AT. One day I will be out on the AT as a thru hiker but for now I get out there whenever I can banging out states one at a time. I got that AT bug when my brother did his thru in 06. I met him on the trail in a bunch of states to bring him supplies and do some hiking with him and a bunch of other thru hikers he was runnin with. The whole AT community rocks....enjoy!!!

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 13:04
Ich bin nicht zu sicher auf Ihrer wandernden Geschwindigkeit oder Visum vielleicht 6 Monate

el.com
05-07-2009, 13:09
Hehe, thanks for writing in german, but you can write in english :)
I can read and understand your language very well, I'm just not THAT good at speaking/writing it. But I think it's enough to tell you want I mean :)

It would be a great honor for me if you really want to join me :)

Alaskanhkr23
05-07-2009, 13:12
Yeah man sorry.had a german fiance ,had to learn you know what im talking about.yeah man i would join you.im not sure about visa's you would have to look into it,maybe someone on here knows,but as of now i don't i'll look it up if you like.

el.com
05-07-2009, 13:57
Thank you... In the past few minutes I was asking almighty uncle Google and just found out that the so called "B2 visa" (don't know if US people call it the same) could maybe meet my demands. Maybe I will call the department for foreign affairs (is that the correct term?) in the next days or weeks to get more information.

Another question: how do i handle money on the trail? I will definitely not carry a few thousand bucks in cash with me. The risk of losing it or getting mugged is to big. How do you Americans do this and which possibilities do I have?

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2009, 13:57
It's possible to get a visa to hike. On one of my section hikes through the Smokies, I met three separate Austrailians who were finishing up their southbound thru-hike. Thought that was pretty impressive.

Be prepared, though, for the hardest part of the trip. Compared to what you're used to, American beer is awful! Ask for microbrews wherever you can.

-confessed beer snob. hopefully not beer snot-

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2009, 13:59
Another question: how do i handle money on the trail? I will definitely not carry a few thousand bucks in cash with me. The risk of losing it or getting mugged is to big. How do you Americans do this and which possibilities do I have?[/quote]

I'd open a bank account when you get here and ask for a debit card. It's like a credit card, except it draws from your deposit in the bank, so no payments.

Two Tents
05-07-2009, 14:08
Hey! I know what its like to be bitten buy the hiking bug too! You have found a good place to learn and get some answers. From the minute I decided to do a thru hike it has changed my life. I plan on a SOBO Thru in mid June. So stick around and learn. enjoy your new found hunger for the trail. Good luck and Happy Trails--Teo Tents.

el.com
05-07-2009, 14:21
Be prepared, though, for the hardest part of the trip. Compared to what you're used to, American beer is awful! Ask for microbrews wherever you can.

Hahahaha, yeah :D I have to admit that your american beer is really awful ;) Sorry for that :D
There's that joke I always tell about US beer:
What do American Beer and sex in a boat have in common? Both are f*!$%ing close to water.

But b2t: If I open a bank account with a debit card, will it tke long to get this or is it just like I open it and 5 minutes later i have access to my account?

mister krabs
05-07-2009, 14:37
You'll get a temporary card immediately, but they'll mail you a permanent one with your name on it. That could be troublesome.

I have no idea what german banking is like, but I know that you have ATM's (hole in the wall) all over the place. Your german bank may have an affiliate relationship with one of the american ATM networks, or if you get a debit card with a visa logo on it, you should be able to use it just about anywhere. I'd check with your local banks first, that may save you a lot of hassle.

el.com
05-07-2009, 14:45
Actually I see there are Maestro and EC (Electronic cash) signs on my bank card. But I better will ask in my local bank office (or whatevr it is called)

mister krabs
05-07-2009, 14:54
The biggest interbank networks here are pulse, star,nyce and cirrus.

Matteroo
05-07-2009, 14:56
ben,

experiences were as many, and more, than the amount of questions you could ask about the trail. meet lots and lots of very friendly people, you feel like you're in a club/group -- but not so 'official' - just an understood bond between lots of people. lots of beautiful spots. lots of good food, for sure. It is a definite time to be able to evaluate things in your life - it gives a lot of confidence, whether you are a confident person to begin with or not, to complete (or do a big portion) of a thru hike.

honestly I had done no more than a few miles backpacking when I dropped my girlfriend off on the trail in 2007. I liked the outdoors, fishing, hiking, boating..but not backpacking. she hiked for 2 months and from talking to her regularly, reading this website, trailjournals.com, and stuff, I was very excited and joining her. I was in good shape to begin with, but went to the gym, made sure I found a pair of boots that worked for me (some people use trail runners...upgraded tennis shoes), and then I joined her in virginia. there were a few times when I said "i want to quit" or "I don't really care about hiking this", but it was only because I was hungry, tired, dying in the heat, irritated by something, or had a piece of gear break down and cause me a lot of stress. Never because I actually felt that way about hiking or the trail.

I would look into seeing if your bank has a partner here. When I traveled in south america I was able to use my american bank debit card at ATMs. I am sure there is a way to do it. Also there was a woman in 2007 named Alpine Strider who was german, hiking northbound. if you can find her contact information probably talking to another german who has done a thru-hike would give you a lot of details about the VISA, banking, and travel issues--and maybe provide information about the trail through the lense of your cultural background a little more.

Blissful
05-07-2009, 15:17
Best thing to do is to read the articles and threads here on White Blaze about planning, and esp from those coming from Europe, for which we have had a few threads from those from the UK.

emerald
05-07-2009, 16:29
I will post information about Berks County for Ben as I have more time available.

Should he travel to Pennsylvania, he will find we have better American beer here than he knew existed. We keep the good stuff for ourselves.:p:D

cravj1988
05-07-2009, 16:49
Ben,

As long as you have your backpack and gear, don't worry that much about planning for logistics. I did very little in 2007 when I thru hiked. When I hit the trail, I relied on the ATC Thru Hiker Companion. They published all the information you need to the 0.1 of a mile. There is information on water sources, shelters, and roads along the entire AT. It has information about the towns and services such as doctors, hotels, hostels, resturants, grocery stores, bars, and outfitters. You do not have to mail food, but some do. For me, it was easier to buy along the way, and probably cheaper too. Don't let planning cause you stress. The info in the ATC companion is reliable. I found that the Wachovia Bank NA was in most of the towns along the trail. Maybe you can set up an account via internet. You will need about $5K, at least, to finish the trail end to end. As for the visa, I have no idea. As for my experiences on the trail, for the first time in my adult life, I felt like a kid again. Just having fun.
[email protected]

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-07-2009, 17:02
I travelled from Australia to thru-hike in 2006.

Getting a visa is not that hard, it just takes some time & effort. Here is the link to the US Consulate in Germany, it has all then information on the application forms and the interview process. You are correct that it is a B-2 visa that you need.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Money is also easy. I just used my debit card to get cash out of ATM's at towns along the trail. Check with your bank that your card will work in the US. I also had my credit card (Mastercard) set up so that I could get cash advances from ATM's. This was my backup. Just ask your bank to set up your credit card account so that you can do this.

Otherwise everything was easy. without local support it was difficult to arrange mail drops, so I just bought food along the way & used a bounce box to mail ahead any items that I did not need to carry. This worked really well.

Thru hiking was an incredible experience & the best piece of advice anyone can give you it to just get out & do it !!

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Kanati
05-07-2009, 17:43
[quote=el.com;834155]Hahahaha, yeah :D I have to admit that your american beer is really awful ;) Sorry for that :D
What do American Beer and sex in a boat have in common? Both are f*!$%ing close to water.

You're going to fit in nicely.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2009, 08:24
Gesundheit!!

Have fun! Don't stress. It's easier than walking in the Alps.

el.com
05-08-2009, 09:35
Well, I have to confess: although I'm from Germany I've never been in the alps. I've not even been in bavaria :eek:

Gray Blazer
05-08-2009, 09:44
Well, I have to confess: although I'm from Germany I've never been in the alps. I've not even been in bavaria :eek:

Ach du lieber augustine!!

peakbagger
05-08-2009, 10:04
Language may be an issue, most of the towns and resupply points are generally small and rural with some very interesting rural accents, they are used to dealing with hikers but your english skills are going to have to be good enough to communicate and occasionally you will have to ask people to repeat themselves. The language on the trail and at shelters also is English so you could feel a bit isolated unless you understand whats being said. If you arent into the social aspects of the trail (which is very important to some hikers) this is less important. Of course you will get a 5 or 6 month "immersion" course in English so your skills will most likely improve as your hike;).

As for any concerns at being a "foreigner" this is not going to be an issue, except get used to being referred to as "the german guy" on occasion.

Kanati
05-08-2009, 11:00

I was stationed in W. Ger. in 1966 & 67. Was stationed in Hoechst, Darmstadt, Kassel and Fulda and have very fond memories of your country, especially of my girl friend named Marianna Pionk from Kassel. It was because of my experiences in Ger. that myself and 4 other thru-hikers last year formed a loosely knit team known as "Team-Deutschmark". We were all solo hiking. All left Springer Mtn, GA, March 1st, 08, but within a week were hiking together. Three members went on to summit Katahdin in July. Two of us did not. One left the trail for medical school, and I left the trail once I got into Maine. I was simply sick and tired of hiking and had other things that I wanted to do.

In early July this year, however, we are returning to the trail to finish it !!!!

Onward to Katahdin!!!
Team Deutschmark

el.com
05-08-2009, 11:54
@peakbagger:
I think my english is good enough to tell people what I mean and do a little bit small talk. Some of my friends told me my spoken english sounds very american... Well.. I don't agree with that, but give me a couple of weeks in a location where I can only use english to communicate and it will be good enough, I expect.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2009, 13:24
Most europeans speak english better than my students.

Frosty
05-08-2009, 13:44
I'd open a bank account when you get here and ask for a debit card. It's like a credit card, except it draws from your deposit in the bank, so no payments.Why would he need an account here? I've used my debit card in many other countries.

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 14:01
Why would he need an account here? I've used my debit card in many other countries.
warning, warning: the exchange rate is going to bite you. I have UK friends living in the states receiving UK pensions that isn't enough to live on after the conversion

double d
05-08-2009, 14:11
el.com, don't worry about how well you speak english, most of us here in America don't speak it too well either! We are glad to have you come to America and hike the AT, you will enjoy the hiking culture and it will be great for you to experience another society for a few months, especially at your age. Good luck to you.

bigcranky
05-08-2009, 14:14
Hahahaha, yeah :D I have to admit that your american beer is really awful ;) Sorry for that :D

Actually, we have great beer here in the States. It just doesn't come from the big breweries. There are plenty of small breweries that make really terrific beers in all kinds of styles. Mmmmmmm, beer!

Your debit and credit cards will work. You can use traveler's checks in some places. You'll be able to get online in town to check your bank accounts, if you need to. You'll need some cash for small-town convenience stores, hostels, that sort of thing, but you can get it along the way at automated teller machines.

Reid
05-08-2009, 14:15
warning, warning: the exchange rate is going to bite you. I have UK friends living in the states receiving UK pensions that isn't enough to live on after the conversion

I have family in the U.K. and in Holland and they come over and buy up the town and have no problems with the exchange rate. Am I missing something?

Reid
05-08-2009, 14:19
Are they getting double taxed or something?

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 14:21
I have family in the U.K. and in Holland and they come over and buy up the town and have no problems with the exchange rate. Am I missing something?possiblly, I am. Have they done this lately? This was a very recent comment/concern. I guess all it takes is checking out the exchange rate.

medicjimr
05-08-2009, 14:22
Most europeans speak english better than my students.

I was engaged to a German girl in Aschaffenburg and she was told not to speak like me in class that us americans don't know proper english Lol. But back to topic enjoy your hike and be safe. :welcome

DGG
05-08-2009, 20:37
Ben, You won't have any problems with English, but you may be surprised by differences in accent -- it's like going from the Rheinland to Schwaben. I did that once, and I almost laughed the first time I spoke to someone. In case you haven't already seen it, here's a great trail journal in German by a hiker who did the PCT, Bastian Schlagowsky: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=180169
Viel Spass!

excuses
05-08-2009, 21:27
I lived in Augsburg for a couple of years and did some hiking in Bavaria, beautiful! Get your visa then bring your gear and money (unfortunately) over, everything else will fall into place. Many hikers don't have much experience and do well. Do walk abit as often as you can. you'll find lots of up and down walking on the trail. Enjoy!!!

Reid
05-08-2009, 23:03
No, they haven't done it lately. I was darn right curious why they didn't come first of spring this year!! I checked the exchange rate just a sec ago. My parents don't keep in me in the know for these things always.

possiblly, I am. Have they done this lately? This was a very recent comment/concern. I guess all it takes is checking out the exchange rate.

Reid
05-08-2009, 23:04
It's time for a vacation in bournemouth!

el.com
05-09-2009, 12:57
warning, warning: the exchange rate is going to bite you.

I think for now € is more worth than US$.
Example: To get 3000 US$ I would need about 2200 €. But I have no clue how this will be next year.

emerald
05-09-2009, 13:32
I will post information about Berks County for Ben as I have time available.

He may enjoy German students, professors discover a bit of home on visit to Berks County (http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=132701), a Reading Eagle article posted to History as a Mystery which can be found in the subscription forums.

It might be more instructive to locate the thread by clicking on my screen name since I started it rather for me to link the thread. Next click View Public Profile > Statistics > Find all threads started by emerald. It's usually near the top since I add to it often.

WalkingStick75
05-09-2009, 16:02
I used my ATM card/credit card in Germany/Austria last year without any problems. I have a friend just outside Cologne that told me she watched the special about the AT too. I think you will find that the hikers in the US are just as friendly as I found in Germany. Sorry, nothing I can do about the beer. I do miss that good German beer.

Rockhound
05-09-2009, 16:08
You'll want to get a 6 month visa to allow you enough time. In todays day in age it might not be as simple as it should be. I've met 2 foreigners who were only able to obtain 3 month visas and consequently were unable to do the entire trail. Beuracratic BS. Hopefully you'll be able to get one for 6 months. As for money, use travelers checks as they are insured. Opening a bank account in the US as a foreigner could prove difficult.

el.com
05-12-2009, 15:10
How about GPS? Will I definitely need one for orientation or is a compass and the official AT books (and data book) enough to do this?

And how about cleaning water on the trail? Do you cook the water to kill bacteria and viruses or how do you do this?

emerald
05-12-2009, 15:26
How about GPS? Will I definitely need one for orientation or is a compass and the official AT books (and data book) enough to do this?

Few through hikers carry a GPS. They're gadgets more useful for geocaching or off-trail hiking.

I'd suggest you download NPS's AT strip map (http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/upload/APPA%20Map.pdf) for preliminary plannning, buy the bundled ATC guides when they are offerred at a discounted price and read them before leaving for your hike. Carry a compass, the maps included with the ATC guides for the section you're hiking and the through hiker guide you prefer.

When you've completed your hike, offer your guidebooks for sale here and help someone else. You might see a current used set advertised here sometime later this year.

For everything you need to know about this topic and more read I might not hike with a map (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40042) and I don't want to be a map dummy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47348). Since you won't want your support person to be a map dummy, buy him or her an AT strip map from ATC's Ultimate Trail Store to hang on his or her wall near where he or she is likely to take phone calls from you.

el.com
05-12-2009, 16:01
That sounds helpful, thanks!
How about the water (see above)?

emerald
05-12-2009, 16:11
You could boil your drinking water, filter it, treat it with iodine or chlorine in one form or another or choose your water sources carefully and do without. I recommend carrying a filter or chemical treatment for times when you don't have the luxury of being choosy.

Few, if any, through hikers boil water for drinking because of the fuel weight and time involved, both to boil it and to wait for it to cool.

emerald
05-12-2009, 21:31
Water Treatment (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1963) looks like a good place to start to me.

You'll find more information in Health, Safety and Hygiene and in Gear Forums.

Doctari
05-14-2009, 08:18
It's possible to get a visa to hike. On one of my section hikes through the Smokies, I met three separate Austrailians who were finishing up their southbound thru-hike. Thought that was pretty impressive.

Yes, be warned:
Compared to other country's: American beer sucks!! Even "foregin" imports arn't as good as in the homeland, even Canadian beer in Detroit isn't as good as just across the border a few miles away. I second the suggestion to try micro brews, they actually have flavor.

In Gatlinburg (halfway throught the Great Smokey Mountains National Park) "The Smokey mountain Brewery", ask for directions at the Happy Hiker.

emerald
05-14-2009, 13:21
I second the suggestion to try micro brews, they actually have flavor.

Adult beverages (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46606) recommends some better microbrews and includes other useful information.

stranger
05-17-2009, 04:59
In terms of getting a visa I would start this process as far as possible in advance. I'm not too sure about the current American process for visitors visas but years ago it was difficult to get one for longer than 3 months.

I'm an American citizen but haven't lived in the US since 2002, and my ex-partner and I used to visit regularly and she is South African, and she was required to get a visa even for short stays. Most countries will make you get a visa if you plan on leaving the transit lounge of an airport. If you do request, and are granted, a visa for 6 months, you will most likely have to show a certain amount of funds available to support yourself during that time and you will also need to prove outward passage, to ensure you do not end up working illegally or overstaying illegally, although, both measures are completely useless in terms of combatting those problems. With immigration however, it's all about jumping through hoops.

The other option however, an this will prove unpopular with many folks, is if you cannot get a 6 month visa, simply come in on whatever you can get and just stay illegally. The reason why so many people come into the states illegally is that it's near impossible for many people to do it legally. And America is fairly useless in terms of immigration, so no one's coming looking for you, no one actually cares.

In terms of money, the US dollar is crap right now and will remain that way until the end of 2010 unless something substantial happens. This will mean an increase in the cost of services in the US, so that will need to be accounted for when thinking of costs. The US dollar does have an impact on other economies, so don't know how that would affect Germany.

Finally, when coming over you can't just say you are hiking, or travelling, you will need to give an address where you will be staying, while this is a absurd requirement, you can't get through customs without it. Just pick an address out of the AT guidebook you have, again, no one checks this stuff, it's just another BS "security" measure that doesn't accomplish anything.

Good luck with the visa

stalo man
05-17-2009, 07:03
your bank "problem" shouldn´t really be on. You can get a visa card at www.dkb.de
The account is free, and u can pull money from atm´s for free as well. so u can put the money on your bank account an pay with the card, or get cash money at any ATM.

Good look on your thru-hike. I´m pretty jealous.

el.com
05-18-2009, 06:19
@stranger:

Staying illegally is not a good idea. I think if I overstay my visa, they will rip off my head as soon as I get back to the airport to fly back to Germany. This could mean serious trouble.

About the adress... Yeah... I don't know. Maybe I can find someone in the USA who can help me there...

stranger
05-19-2009, 04:48
I wasn't promoting that overstaying was a good idea, I was stating that tens of thousands of people do it due to the harsh restrictions the US has in terms of immigration.

You do raise a good point, in this day and age with the fear mongering legislation that exists you could probably get stopped at the airport and "detained" for a undetermined period of time.

So to be clear, I am not recommending overstaying in the US, my point was that I know a number of people who have done it with no problems.

Anyhow, it just seems to make sense to get the visa sorted, then it's no worries.

el.com
06-07-2009, 14:16
Update for my part:
A few weeks ago I contacted a german whiteblaze.net member (Hamburger (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=2733)). Actually I'm awaiting his response, so I have the possibility to talk to somebody in german, who hiked the trail.

In the meantime another question:
I think I will buy the official thru-hiker's companion and the data book in the next days. I saw there are 11 map sets available. Do you think the thru-hiker's companion and data book is enough, or do you think I should also buy the 11 map sets?

emerald
06-07-2009, 14:25
Good to hear from you again. I wondered what had become of you.

I just added you to my contacts list in the event you may wish to direct one or more questions to me off-board. I believe my German is good enough to understand you should you wish to write in German. I also know of at least one other person who may be willing to communicate with you about the AT in German.

I think I will buy the official thru-hiker's companion and the data book in the next days.

Why do you desire both? All of the information contained within Appalachian Trail Data Book is contained within Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion. You may have a sound reason for wanting both. I'm likely not the only person who wonders why you wish to have both.

Should I also buy the 11 map sets?

I recommend you buy the ATC maps. Some will tell you you don't need them and can get by just fine without them. I think you will find them to be useful in many ways and they will add little weight to your pack. Sure, purchasing them does involve spending a significant amount of money, but you can sell them to someone else right here after you finish with them if you take care of them. It's a way you can help someone else who shares your dream.

el.com
06-07-2009, 15:45
Good to hear from you again. I wondered what had become of you.

I just added you to my contacts list in the event you may wish to direct one or more questions to me off-board. I believe my German is good enough to understand you should you wish to write in German. I also know of at least one other person who may be willing to communicate with you about the AT in German.

That sounds really helpful, thank you. It's always better to talk to similar persons, than just to one person. But where did you add me? To your friends list in the board? I'm just a bit confused, because I did not receive a message ("friendship invitation" or someth. like that)

Why do you desire both? All of the information contained within Appalachian Trail Data Book is contained within Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion. You may have a sound reason for wanting both. I'm likely not the only person who wonders why you wish to have both.

Ahhh thanks A LOT for this hint. I didn't know that the thru-hiker's companion contains all of the data book's content. Good way to save a few €.

I recommend you buy the ATC maps. Some will tell you you don't need them and can get by just fine without them. I think you will find them to be useful in many ways and they will add little weight to your pack. Sure, purchasing them does involve spending a significant amount of money, but you can sell them to someone else right here after you finish with them if you take care of them. It's a way you can help someone else who shares your dream.

When you say "ATC maps", does this mean only a few leightweight maps, or do you mean the 11 maps sets I mentioned before? I just noticed, that every of this map books has between almost 200 or 300 pages apiece. Isn't carrying all of them equal to carrying a whole library on your back? :D

emerald
06-07-2009, 16:34
But where did you add me? To your friends list in the board? I'm just a bit confused, because I did not receive a message ("friendship invitation" or someth. like that)

I only accept PMs from people on my contacts list. My friends are a subset of my contacts, which is a subset of WhiteBlaze's registered users. Some don't set up a contacts list and accept PMs and/or email from everyone.

When you say "ATC maps," does this mean only a few lightweight maps, or do you mean the 11 map sets I mentioned before? I just noticed that every map book has between 200 or 300 pages each. Isn't carrying all of them equal to carrying a whole library on your back? :D

I am referring to the map sets you mentioned. The ATC guides consist of a book and a loose map set which can be purchased without the book.

The guidebooks contain information similiar to what can be found in Appalachian Trail Data Book, more about AT history and less detailed information about services than Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion. Most through hikers carry maybe 200 miles of maps at a time and one of the 3 handbooks.

You may want to buy ATC's guides (books & maps), read the books before your hike and carry only one of the 3 handbooks and maps. You will need to work out some sort of plan to avoid carrying the entire "library" which I don't recommend.

el.com
06-14-2009, 13:52
Alright... A few mins ago I talked to Hamburger (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=2733) on the phone.
I asked him a few questions that I already asked here in this thread just to hear his opinion about all this.

He did section hikes over the years with a pack on his back that had a weight of about 6kg (13lbs) :eek: I think thats pretty impressive, because 6kg is REALLY lightweight!

He said that I can use my bank account without problems in the USA. So when I get money from ATMs there is a small fee for drawing money, but I think that'll be fine.

About the visa: he told me, that he met different people who had a visa and never had any trouble to get it. I just had the fear, that it would be very hard, but he told me: it's not as hard as I thought.

Guidebooks and maps: he also told me, that the map sets are not really necessary. It's fine when you have them, but you can make it also easy without them.

And about cleaning water he told me, that the easiest and best way is to use chemicals (e.g. "Aquamira").

So now I apparoach the next step: I will buy the thru-hiker's companion in a moment via amazon.de

Greetz,
Ben

emerald
06-14-2009, 14:18
I'm not keen on the idea of advising hiking the AT without maps or a compass and want it to be known. I see a trend developing which I don't think is good. Incredibly, even ATC is now appears to be encouraging it! I'm finding I must remember to be careful about linking certain of their pages.

If someone doesn't want to follow my advice fine, but then any consequences are theirs and I'm not responsible. I see what I consider to be questionable advice dispensed here. My advice is conservative because in most cases I don't know who I'm advising or who may later read it.

Lyle
06-14-2009, 14:29
You can hold off on buying the Companion until the new, 2010 version comes out next winter. You can access the 2009 version here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

emerald
06-14-2009, 14:51
You can hold off on buying the Companion until the new, 2010 version comes out next winter. You can access the 2009 version here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

The same link is one click from another posted thoughout this thread. It was posted as it was to make other information including updates readily available too.

I would think he already has the files on his hard drive, but, given what I read here regularly, maybe not.

emerald
06-14-2009, 15:19
And about cleaning water he told me, that the easiest and best way is to use chemicals (e.g. "Aquamira").

Many but not all will agree. Read Food, Water and Sanitation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805483/k.72A1/Food_Water_and_Sanitation.htm).

Hikes in Rain
06-14-2009, 15:23
Good for you! Best of luck in your preparations, your trip over, and your adventure on the trail. I hope to read about them as you go.

el.com
06-18-2009, 13:35
@emerald:

I can understand your concern about hiking without maps. I did not say that I will do it without maps, nor did I say that I definitely will carry them. I am thinking about this in the last days, because the maps are not really cheap and so many people say that the trail is well marked with white blazes, etc..
So I'm not really sure about this yet.

Maybe it would be helpful if you could mention your main reasons why you say that hiking WITH maps is indespensable. That could probably help me with my decision.

And about the thru-hiker's companion: I've noticed, that the 2009 edition is available online, but I've bought it (was not really expensive, just e few bucks - thanks to amazon) so I can also read it, when I'm not at home.

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2009, 14:04
This has been discussed here extensively (do a search for "Maps" and you'll find all sorts of information).

But very briefly, this is why carrying maps is a good idea:

*They can save your life if you get lost, and despite how well the Trail is
marked, this can happen.
*In an emergency situation, if you need to get back to civilization in a hurry,
the maps will tell you the best way to do this. Every day, a thru-hiker
walks by paved roads; dirt roads; old un-used roads; pathways; livestock
paths; old lumber roads, old railroad paths, you name it. Without a map,
one has absolutely no way of knowing where these go or where they end
up.......you don't know if they dead-end, or make a circle, or lead to a real
road or town. Without maps, you are essentially blind to the world around
you, and in an emergency situation involving yourself or another hiker,
without a map, all you would know to do would be to continue to the next
road crossing that your guidebook mentions, or double-back miles to the
last one. Maps will tell you about other options.
*Maps will show alternative water sources that you'd otherwise not know
about.
*If a section of Trail is closed for any reason (fires; mudslides, or most fre-
quently, during flood seasons when streams may become impassable), your
map will tell you how to proceed on an aternative path without getting
lost. Without a map, it is very likely that you WILL get lost.
*The Trail maps contain detailed elevation profiles that will be a great help
in telling you what a particular stretch of Trail will be like......is it flat? Is
it bumpy? Any really big climbs? And so on. Personally, I look doing really
big climbs early in my hiking day, when it's cool out and I'm still fresh. I
really DON'T like doing a monster climb at 4:30 in the afternoon after I've
already done 15 miles. The maps will also tell you when it might make sense
to go for a really big mileage day, and when it'd be foolish to. Without
maps, you'll only have a rough idea of what lies ahead of you. Yes, most of
the Trail guidebooks contain some elevation information and rough elevation
profiles, but they can't compare to what you'll find on the maps.
*If you have to report an emergency (lost or injured hiker; an unusual
incident that needs to be reported to a Ranger or policeman, etc.), having a
map will be of great use. If someone is in need of medical assistance or
has another emergency that requires assistance, it's really helpful if you can
tell the authorities EXACTLY where they are.
*If you're forced to leave the Trail, in most cases the maps will help you
determine where roads actually go, which may help if you have to travel or
hitch a ways off the Trail.

In short, there are all sorts of good reasons to carry maps, and very few good reasons not to. The weight factor is negligible, as you'll hardly ever be carrying more than one or perhaps two maps at a time. And as for the cost (many hikers think maps are too expensive), if you buy them all at once (the Appalachian Trail Conservancy puts the whole map set on sale every fall), you'll end up paying less than a dollar a day for your maps. Considering what you get out of them, and how many times a day you'll consult them, this is hardly expensive.

Bring the maps.

emerald
06-18-2009, 18:27
Maybe it would be helpful if you could mention your main reasons why you say that hiking WITH maps is indispensable. That could probably help me with my decision.

Jack covered most of the important points to be made. I'll add a few lines about their cost since it seems to be an important issue to you.

Maps are a relatively small expense in comparison with the overall cost of a through hike of the Appalachian Trail and are potentially worth every penny if you use them only once in an emergency, but you are sure to find many other uses for them.

You can buy them bundled directly from ATC in December at a discounted price or you may even be able to obtain a set here from a someone hiking now. Take care of your maps and you can sell them here to recoup most of what you spend when you finish with them.

So maps aren't money spent for nothing and obtaining them need not cost as much as you may have believed. Some hikers spend more on alcohol and think nothing of it. Maps are likely to do a hiker more good.

If you want more reasons, refer to I might not hike with a map. It's link may be found in post #46 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=837435&postcount=46).

SteveJ
06-18-2009, 19:05
<clip>And about cleaning water he told me, that the easiest and best way is to use chemicals (e.g. "Aquamira").<clip>
Greetz,
Ben

I second the Aquamira. I took my son and one of his friends on a 40 mile AT hike in NC last week. The springs were flowing so well that we only treated at one water source. The rest of the time, we drank straight from the spring. (a hotly debated topic - I've settled on the position for on the AT that if I can see it coming out of the ground, and it's flowing well, I drink untreated.)

I got home, cut the grass, and went inside to get a cup of water. I immediately noticed the chemical taste, and missed that cold spring water from the AT!

Have fun planning your hike!

el.com
06-23-2009, 16:14
Alright. Just reporting back from a hike this weekend. Me and a friend tried to hike from Attendorn to Siegburg. Unfortunately, we had to abort in Drabenderhöhe (if you want to know where these places are --> ask google maps), because my friends' feet were littered with blisters. Altough I was feeling fine and would have been able to finish the hike, I aborted too. As he said he is going to quit, I've lost a bit motivation, because we started it together and I didn't want to finish it on my own.

But I think this problem won't chase me on the AT because I will start it alone. And so I can finish it on my own.

Back to the maps: We hiked only with a few crappy Google maps. Although I also carried a compass, we lost orientation a few times and ended up somewhere in the damn desert :D
This teached me HOW IMPORTANT proper maps can be! Apart from the arguments you've mentioned in the last posts I have been teached by this for real now.

I think I will ask around in the forum very soon to find someone who can sell me his maps.

So far,
Ben

Rockhead
06-24-2009, 13:37

But b2t: If I open a bank account with a debit card, will it tke long to get this or is it just like I open it and 5 minutes later i have access to my account?

A better idea for you might be a debit visa card commonly called a "green dot" its a visa or mastercard or american express card that is essentially a gift card that you can use anywhere that credit cards are accepted. Its safer than cash because if you lose it the money is still there, you just have to get a replacement card. Many are sold in packs of two allowing to carry one and leave one at home(in case you lose yours), in addition , someone at home can put additional funds on the card using the "homecard" and you can useyour card to access the money.

P.S. Warsteiner kicks :eek:ss

el.com
06-24-2009, 20:29
About all this money thing: I will talk to my bank here, they should be able to give me all information I need. But we just figured out, that my bank card should also work over there with ATM's.

PS: Warsteiner is... Well... It's OK, but there are much better beers here in Germany. You should try Augustiner Edelstoff, Augustiner Weißbier or Jever.

emerald
06-24-2009, 20:48
PS: Warsteiner is... Well... It's OK, but there are much better beers here in Germany. You should try Augustiner Edelstoff, Augustiner Weißbier or Jever.

I've never seen any of those here. They may not be exported. I sometimes purchase a good German Weißbier here, but I forget what it's called.

I believe you said earlier you are 20. You may find it odd, but beer cannot be purchased in USA by anyone under 21. If you become a problem, depending upon your BAC, you may have a problem too, but then again you may be 21 by the time you're here. In that case, the legal BAC would be higher.

So are you committed to hiking the AT or just dreaming?

sarge95
06-24-2009, 21:43
there should be an American Consulate in cologne that would answer any question you would have concerning a Visa.

el.com
06-25-2009, 05:26
@emerald:

My birthday is in september, so I will be 21, when I come over next year :)
And I'm really committed to hike the AT. Not just dreaming...

@sarge95:
The next US consulate from here is in Frankfurt. That's not so much far away. It's easy to get there by train.

emerald
06-25-2009, 12:35
My birthday is in september, so I will be 21, when I come over next year :)
And I'm really committed to hike the AT. Not just dreaming....

Then, when you reach Berks County, you should contact me and we will drink some good American beer together. I live in a place named for Heidelberg and am descended from some of its earliest settlers.

el.com
08-22-2009, 12:59
I bet you already thought that I'm dead or lost my will to hike the AT, right? :D
Just an update from my part: a few weeks ago I called this hotline of the US consulate to get additional information about the visa process. Unfortunately, they always replied "take a look at out homepage to get information"... Yeah... Blah, blah blah... They really thought I've never taken a look at their page?! omg!

But anyway. They told me to call in again in december or early january to get a date for the visa application.

All fine... but now I'm really thinking about this maps stuff... I have no clue if I should buy the whole map sets (expensive!) or if there is a chance to buy maps only, without all this additional information that is given in the official map books.

What do you think?

el.com
08-22-2009, 13:24
Or let me ask it in another way: does it make sense to you if I just get to the AT and buy the maps over there?

Feral Bill
08-22-2009, 13:55
I bet you already thought that I'm dead or lost my will to hike the AT, right? :D
Just an update from my part: a few weeks ago I called this hotline of the US consulate to get additional information about the visa process. Unfortunately, they always replied "take a look at out homepage to get information"... Yeah... Blah, blah blah... They really thought I've never taken a look at their page?! omg!

But anyway. They told me to call in again in december or early january to get a date for the visa application.

All fine... but now I'm really thinking about this maps stuff... I have no clue if I should buy the whole map sets (expensive!) or if there is a chance to buy maps only, without all this additional information that is given in the official map books.

What do you think?

Sometimes just showing up at bureaucrats offices can do wonders. It's hard to ignore someone sitting in front of you.

I would thing that you could get at least the first map section or two when you arrive, the take it from there.

el.com
08-22-2009, 14:07
Okay, so no need to carry all maps for the whole trail? Seriously: that would be too much stuff on my back. Is it possible to buy maps in the trailtowns or are the chances to get maps there too bad?

The Weasel
08-22-2009, 20:03
Okay, so no need to carry all maps for the whole trail? Seriously: that would be too much stuff on my back. Is it possible to buy maps in the trailtowns or are the chances to get maps there too bad?

Do it without the maps. It is almost impossible to get lost on the AT, and if you're going to get lost, the maps wouldn't have prevented it and won't help you really get back to it. People in shelters will share a look at their map for you to know where you are. Instead, get the "AT Data Book" (small, light) and use that for distances to shelters, water, campsites, towns, etc.

How far do you live from Muenster?

TW

el.com
08-23-2009, 03:53
This has been mentioned before. The Trail is marked and all that stuff. Alright. But in an emergency, when you really have to get off the trail to save yourself or another person it could be life or death if you carry a map or not. This is what "pro maps" people say.

But maybe it would be a better idea to buy a few maps for the first sections and see how often I need them.

Question again: is it possible to purchase maps in the trailtowns or do you have to buy them before you start?

el.com
08-23-2009, 03:55
How far do you live from Muenster?

approx. 168km (104 miles) if you travel by car.

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 04:37
approx. 168km (104 miles) if you travel by car.

You'll need to buy them ahead of time. The 'towns' often do not have places where maps are available. Still, many hike the trail without maps; buy the AT Data Book and you will see why. It is a map in words; if you had a problem, it would be the first thing you would go to in order to find how far you were from help.

TW

Nomaderwhat
08-23-2009, 07:57
Just make it happen. Once you get on the trail, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to help you along. I'll be starting my thru hike in March. See you on the trail buddy.

Lauriep
08-23-2009, 08:30
For the record, ATC does recommend that all hikers, whether day-hikers or thru-hikers, carry maps and compass. Yes, the A.T. is obvious and well-marked in most places (but not all, especially in wilderness areas), and every year hundreds of thru-hikers walk from Georgia to Maine without maps.

The most important reason to carry them is in case of an emergency. It's just not responsible or wise to depend on others for one of your basic needs. Carrying maps may also enable you to help others who are lost or in an emergency situation. It's more likely you'll encounter that situation than be in trouble yourself. Lastly, search and rescue groups and local police may not be familiar with the A.T. and its access points, and may spend more time getting to you if you're injured because they don't have a good map showing the latest A.T. route and don't know the side trails in.

Jack has outlined additional benefits, as have others. To those, I'll add that maps give you a sense of the lay of the land and the country you're in. It makes your hike more interesting and you learn more about the land you're hiking through when you can identify the towns and mountains and other features at a viewpoint. Thru-hikers also rarely carry guidebooks other than the thru-hiker guidebooks, but you'll also note thru-hikers complain the trail is boring. Guidebooks can enrich your hike immensely by explaining history, flora and fauna, etc.

Maps can be purchased at outfitters along the way, so if you're not sure whether you want to invest in a complete set, buy a few in the beginning, and purchase them as you go. Conveniently, outfitters that sell maps are often located close to where map sets begin and end. But you'll need to do just a little planning. In some cases, you may have to carry more maps than you want (e.g., 4 maps through central and southwest Virginia from Damascus to Daleville), but you can mail a few ahead to an A.T.-friendly hostel or business or P.O. in between.

Laurie P.
ATC

emerald
08-23-2009, 09:10
For the record, ATC does recommend that all hikers, whether day-hikers or thru-hikers, carry maps and compass.

Laurie P.
ATC

While I have recommended carrying maps here many times now, I would like to point out there may be locations hikers are more apt to wish to refer to a map even though they may not know in advance when unless of course they carry none in which case they cannot be assured they will have access to a map.

Lauriep has called to the attention of Ben and others reading this thread some instances when maps are most likely to be useful. Others have been mentioned here and in other threads. Maybe this aspect of the map question should be addressed again.

el.com
08-23-2009, 14:14
I was not used to start this "pro maps" and "contra maps" again. After careful consideration I would prefer hiking with maps. So I think I'll buy the first maps and hit the trail. See how far they can get me.

Maybe I'm agonizing about this too much. Too much planning will spoil the party.

For the first few maps: As member of the ATC maybe Laurie P. can make me an offer I can't refuse, heh? ;) :D

emerald
08-23-2009, 14:28
I was not used to start this "pro maps" and "contra maps" again. After careful consideration, I would prefer hiking with maps.

Thank God! You are wise beyond your years. I wouldn't want to be used to renew this old discussion either. For a moment, I feared you were about to initiate a discussion of dancing and maps. That wouldn't go over well either.

Buy the Georgia maps and a Companion. See what the maps add to your hike and whether or not you prefer the Companion to what other hikers are carrying.

Maybe we can work out something on a set of guides. I might like to have a current set and maybe you need someone to send them to you.

Dogwood
08-23-2009, 16:20
Kraut, you may search for other Germans who have thru-hiked the AT, and several other long distance trails in the U.S. and abroad, as I know of at least 4 who still live there who I have had the pleasure to thru-hikle with. By the way, you are not the first with the trail name Kraut from Germany.

el.com
08-23-2009, 16:30
That's not my official trail name. Well... Not yet. I'll wait until I hit the trail and others assign me a name ;)

el.com
12-03-2009, 15:41
Hey folks :)

Thought I'd already buried my plans, eh? :D
A little update, if anyone cares:

I purchased the first map set (Springer Mountain till Smokey Mountains National Park) to get a first overview of what I'm getting myself into...
And this month I will call the US embassy to get a date for the visa application. I think I will do this next week or so. Looking forward to hit the trail in mid march 2010. Cross your fingers for me! :)

Hikes in Rain
12-03-2009, 15:48
I care! Been wondering what was happening, and thrilled to hear you're on track! Congratulations, and maybe we'll bump into each other when I do my next section. Might just be in the same area at the same time.

DrRichardCranium
12-03-2009, 16:59

As a homebrewer & beer lover, I have to take exception to this crack about American beer.

The last 15 years or so have been a Golden Age for American beer.

The beer connoseiur Michael Jackson (no, not the popsinger Michael Jackson, the beer writer guy) used to write back in the early 80s about how American beer was watered down crap, but by the early 21st century he was then writing books about how the most exciting things in the world of beer brewing were going on in the USA.

Yes, we still have the watery crap too, but that's like going to a McDonalds & thinking that that is all we have to eat in America.

The USA now has hundreds of breweries all over making all different styles of great craft beer.

In short, American beer is GREAT right now!!:banana

58starter
12-03-2009, 21:22
Ben, welcome to whiteblaze. You have a wonderful outfitter in your country to obtain any gear you might need for the trip. I visit their site often. Tatnoka gear.
Happy reading and getting ready for your adventure.

el.com
12-04-2009, 07:11
Yes, Tatonka is a really good brand. My backpack is a Tatonka and it fits perfectly.

tintin
12-04-2009, 07:29
I'm from England and will be thru-hiking next year and can pass on some advice on the vsa:

You will have to have an interview with the embassy or consulate. To make life easier for yourself: get some letters from work, college, or something along those lines that state, or are evidence of your intentions to return to Germany after the 6 months. Anything that is evidence of you returning is useful. I also took gamble and bought my return my ticket home as further evidence.

The visa costs approximately $110 (for me anyway).

With regards to American beer: I had a wonderful day at a microbrewery in Milwaukee!
My only issue with American beer is not that it's watery, but that is served too cold (lose out on flavour) and is often a little sweet. I actually found that there was a lot more variety of beers in bars in the US than England. I am looking forward to tasting some along my thru-hike and avoiding beers from the big breweries.

el.com
12-04-2009, 08:35
Well, that could be troublesome because I will have to quit my job here to hike the AT. I plan to start my hike in mid march, so my contract of employment will end on Feb 28 or something like this. I also plan to get the ticket for my flight back to germany, when I've finished the trail because I don't know, how long exactly it will take to hike it.

So I will have no verifiable job when I start. I do not have my own apartment yet (still live @ my mum's apartment) and I will have no ticket for my flight back to home.

Now, are my chances to get the visa near zero or will it be possible anyway?

Hikes in Rain
12-04-2009, 08:50
As a homebrewer & beer lover, I have to take exception to this crack about American beer.

The last 15 years or so have been a Golden Age for American beer.

The beer connoseiur Michael Jackson (no, not the popsinger Michael Jackson, the beer writer guy) used to write back in the early 80s about how American beer was watered down crap, but by the early 21st century he was then writing books about how the most exciting things in the world of beer brewing were going on in the USA.

Yes, we still have the watery crap too, but that's like going to a McDonalds & thinking that that is all we have to eat in America.

The USA now has hundreds of breweries all over making all different styles of great craft beer.

In short, American beer is GREAT right now!!:banana

As a fellow home brewer, you have a valid point, and thank heaven for that. There are now very fine beers available to those of us who prefer flavor over volume. However, I maintain that many, if not most, of the places this hiker will be able to easily frequent, coupled with his background of growing up in one of the better brewing companies, will result in only a few brews available that would suit his palate. Most will be BJCP Category 1A.

However, after several weeks of hiking, his standards may well lower! Mine do. I was just warning him.

One of the trends I see here in Tallahassee is a shift toward hoppier ales, and away from the heavier, maltier strong ales I prefer. We're a college town, so market forces are pushing them that way. It's a sign that I should brew more.

tintin
12-04-2009, 09:05
Well, that could be troublesome because I will have to quit my job here to hike the AT. I plan to start my hike in mid march, so my contract of employment will end on Feb 28 or something like this. I also plan to get the ticket for my flight back to germany, when I've finished the trail because I don't know, how long exactly it will take to hike it.

So I will have no verifiable job when I start. I do not have my own apartment yet (still live @ my mum's apartment) and I will have no ticket for my flight back to home.

Now, are my chances to get the visa near zero or will it be possible anyway?

I don't think it's impossible without these - it just helps. You could get an open ticket with no set return date, but they are expensive. However, I'm no expert on this. I've only taken and then passed on, advice that was given to me. American Immigration is notoriously tricky and I loathe dealing with them. This is what you need:

Requirements for the B2 Visa

To qualify for the B2 travel visa, you must prove that:

A. The purpose of your trip is to tour the U.S.

B. You have a permanent residence in your home country that you have no intention of abandoning

C. You have binding ties to your home country in the form of property, family, or a permanent job

D. You are not coming to the U.S. to provide services or engage in business activities that are primarily for the benefit of a U.S. employer

E. You have sufficient financial resources to fund the trip including all travel, accommodation and living expenses during your stay in the U.S. If you do not have sufficient financial resources to fund the trip, a sponsor must provide evidence that he/she will provide support

So living at your mum's house should be enough for B & C. Print off forum posts such as these which show that you are going to the US to thru-hike the AT and you've displayed here you intend to come back (for A & D). E requires a bank statement (I think minimum $2000 in your account).

With regards to money - I'm taking my UK debit cards and they've worked fine on my previous visits to the US.

Good luck mate and I sincerely hope to bump into you on the trail. I'm now trying to factor in how I can watch World Cup games!

el.com
12-04-2009, 10:48
About the money thing... I'm pretty sure my debit card will work, but I'm also sure, there will be a fee for drawing money from ATMs because I use my german bank account on american ATMs. Now imagine if I need every day a bit money from the ATMs and everytime it will cost me a few bucks... In the end the fees paid only for drawing money will be more than "just a few bucks".

In germany it is the same: it's possible to draw money from ATMs of other banks, but the fee for this is every time 1 or 2 €...

But I think when I'm coming over to the USA to spend already several thousand dollars on this hike, this few bucks for drawing money won't kill me :cool:

Farr Away
12-04-2009, 11:33
1. You won't have access to an ATM every day.
2. Not a bad idea to pull out $200-300 at a time - just be smart about putting it away and not advertising that you've got that much on you.
3. A lot of stores (WalMarts, grocery stores, drug stores) will allow you to get cash back with a purchase on a debit card. This works for U.S. bank issued debit cards; no idea if it would work with yours.
4. Have a backup plan for accessing your money.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 11:33
Hey guys :)
First at all something about me: my name is Ben, 20 years old from a small city called Siegburg (near Cologne), Germany.
A few days ago I saw that documentation about the AT on a German TV-channel. Since that day this ***** won't leave me alone. I'm thinking 'bout this all the time. To be accurate I'm having this idea for years to get my backpack and start hiking somewhere for weeks or months, but I never had a special imagination where I should start. I'm feeling there's something different now. I'm doing research on the internet concerning the trail for days. As stupid it may sound, but I'm just feeling like I found my real aim in life or at least a step closer to this. This is not one of my "I think about this a few days and then totally forget it"-phases and also not a kind of post pubertal crap idea to show my friends how awesome I am. I'm serious with that. I want to do the thru-hike. Northbound. Unfortunately it is too late to plan and begin in this season, for I know, planning all that stuff will take time, money and effort. And the fact that I do not live in the USA makes it additional harder. But maybe I can do it for the next season…

But all this deterrence will not make me give up and throw away the idea for this mammoth undertaking. In this case I start asking me many questions about how to start this trip. So the best way to get answers is asking people who did the thru-hike. That's why I'm here.

What kind of experiences did you get on the trail when you hiked it (for the first time)? Do you have any advices, something to pay attention for to somebody who never did a hike of this dimension, especially for foreigners?
Will I even be able to achieve a visa for that long period? And if so: how do I get a visa?

Questions, questions, and even more questions…

I'm grateful for any advices concerning my problems.

Greetings,
Ben

[ Sorry for my bad English – Mein Deutsch ist besser :D ]

I think it would be safe to say that your English is better than 95% of most Americans. Seriously, wow- when did you start speaking English? You have a fantastic grip on the language. (If only my French and Russia were as good)

So, I know this is out of date (you started this several months ago), and I have read none of the other replies. But, I'll say my bit.

First, I thought you didn't need a visa between Germany and America. (Whenever I've gone to that area, I've only needed a visa for Czech Republic) Though I don't know what the position is on longer term entry to the US.

I think it may be very easy for you to adapt to the US, especially on the trail. All you really need to do is get all the gear you need, get your plane ticket, and have plenty of money for food (and if you want, lodging).

How much do you know about the U.S and about the AT?

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 11:41
About the money thing... I'm pretty sure my debit card will work, but I'm also sure, there will be a fee for drawing money from ATMs because I use my german bank account on american ATMs. Now imagine if I need every day a bit money from the ATMs and everytime it will cost me a few bucks... In the end the fees paid only for drawing money will be more than "just a few bucks".

In germany it is the same: it's possible to draw money from ATMs of other banks, but the fee for this is every time 1 or 2 €...

But I think when I'm coming over to the USA to spend already several thousand dollars on this hike, this few bucks for drawing money won't kill me :cool:

My plan for money is this: I will carry my debit card and cash. I plan to always have around $200-300 cash, and my debit card in a secret place. I also plan to carry a small ziploc bag with $30-40 in the front of my bag (for easier access if I come to a small store near a road, and as a decoy- if someone steals my money, they will hopefully think that I have no more).

And you need to have photo identification. And I do not recommend bringing your physical passeport in your pack. (I don't know what else you would do with it after your plane ride though) Because if you lose it, you will be in trouble.

Debit card is a very good idea, and you will almost always find ATMs, but do also carry emergency cash.

And PS- When you are in towns or road crossings- especially with hitchhiking, if you do what I do (with a secret wallet hidden away with money, debit card and identification), take it out and put it in your pocket or your boot in case someone drives away with your backpack. Does not happen often, but it has happened before.

emerald
12-04-2009, 15:23
Some differences between credit and debit cards have been discussed here before.

I would think a duplicate passport wouldn't be a bad idea.

Get cash back on transactions at grocery stores and post offices to avoid fees. Fees add up fast.

el.com
12-23-2009, 12:35
Okay folks, I have my visa interview date in Frankfurt at 01-06-2010
Cross your fingers for me :)

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:41
My fingers are crossed, good luck! (And see you on the trail)

el.com
01-06-2010, 09:27
This is it! My visa application has been approved! I got it!! Hell yeah!!!

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 11:18
[APPLAUDING] Good luck, and soo you on the trail- glad you got your visa!

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 11:19
I meant "see" not "soo"...

double d
01-06-2010, 11:21
Congrats on your success on obtaining the visa, now you must insist on importing some of that great German beer to America as your primary water source on your hike!

Ender
01-06-2010, 11:31
Congrats! (and totally agree with double d about the beer... especially if you happen to come into NYC and bring me some). Have fun out there!

Farr Away
01-06-2010, 11:46
Congratulations!

Hikes in Rain
01-06-2010, 13:28
Well done, sir! Depending on your start date, and the dates of my (hopefully!) upcoming section hike, we may hit the same areas at the same time. I do hope so.

el.com
01-06-2010, 17:41
I'll hope so, too ;)
Looking forward to meet a few of you guys on the trail in mid march or later. So if you see a young guy with german accent getting angry about the taste of american beer this could probably be me :D

peakbagger
01-06-2010, 18:41
The beer gets better as you go north into microbrew territory. In most of the south if they do sell beer (there are a couple of dry counties), the beer cooler is 99% industrial beer (Bud Miller & Coors). When you hit Connecticut it probably 50% industrial and 50% microbrews. When you get to Vermont its 80% microbrew and 20% industrial. It tapers down to 50 50 in NH and Maine goes back to mostly industrial brew.

Good luck

Hikes in Rain
01-07-2010, 07:31
Definitely ask about microbrews! We do have some good ones, worth the pursuit. A fairly recent trend, however, is toward the IPAs and other "hop juices". Sad, really. ;)

Doctari
01-07-2010, 12:44
A thought just occurred to me: Ben, you are coming to a foreign country, you may want to consider treating ALL of your water, even some tap water. Our microbes (hereafter called "Buggies") are different than yours, and even here in the states, they can very widely. What we call "City water" will likely be safe, but not all hostels, or even small town water supply is as well treated as in the big city.
I drink straight from all water sources here, but if I ever get to visit the Fatherland (Maternal grandfather was from "near Berlin"), you can bet I will bring my filter & treat everything, just because the Buggies are different.

Have a great hike!! Try a few of "our" beers they may surprise you, unlikely, but possible. :p Sam Adams is one of the better large breweries.

Have you looked into what to do if you need a Visa extension?

el.com
01-07-2010, 14:57
I just got a pack of Katadyn Micropur Forte (with chlorine) and tried it out: you definitely taste the chemistry, but it's OK... And even if I get annoyed by this taste, I will just threw them away and buy a "classical" water filter.

And about the visa extension:
At the U.S. consulate in Frankfurt they told me that my visa will be valid long enough, so I can finish the trail in 6 months. The real duration of stay will be determined by the immigration officer at the destination airport, but they told me that I will get at least 6 months. If I need more time, I have to contact the immigration office.