PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Pond Campsite

Cutter185
05-07-2009, 13:46
Last year I was told by a NOBO that you can hike in/camp at the Chimney Pond campsite on the back side of Katahdin for free?

any truth to this or am i going to have to pay a fee when i show up there at night? if so are there any baxter checkpoints that i have to go through to get to that site?

emerald
05-07-2009, 15:15
Last year I was told by a NOBO that you can hike in/camp at the Chimney Pond campsite on the back side of Katahdin for free?

Not all NOBOs are reliable sources of information. If you were to read Baxter State Park's camping page (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html) or call them, they might be able to straighten you out.

Were you to search WhiteBlaze's postings, you would eventually find most SOBOs begin at Katahdin Stream Campground, summit Katahdin via the AT (Hunt Trail) without a full pack and return to KSC by the same route, where they happily call it a day and spend a second night.

An alternative strategy might be waiting at Togue Pond gate until it opens, ascending Abol Trail and descending Katahdin SOBO. Some AT hikers think Baxter Peak should be summitted, rather than descended. Either way, what goes up must come down.

While a night at Chimney Pond followed by an ascent of Pamola via Dudley Trail and crossing Katahdin's Knife Edge might be a desirable start, such a hike involves arranging to have one's pack shuttled to KSC or carrying one's full pack which might not be a problem if it's a relatively light, internal-framed pack, one's fit and the weather cooperates.

Were you interested in spending a night in BSP after completing a NOBO through hike, the last day of which began outside the park, by now you may realize you are expected to secure a reservation. Most NOBOs will be well-served and quite content to reserve a lean-to at The Birches, summit, spend a night at Millinocket or return directly from whence they came, more or less changed by their AT journey.

Cutter185
05-07-2009, 16:47
Not all NOBOs are reliable sources of information. If you were to read Baxter State Park's camping page (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html) or call them, they might be able to straighten you out.

Were you to search WhiteBlaze's postings, you would eventually find most SOBOs begin at Katahdin Stream Campground, summit Katahdin via the AT (Hunt Trail) without a full pack and return to KSC by the same route, where they happily call it a day and spend a second night.

An alternative strategy might be waiting at Togue Pond gate until it opens, ascending Abol Trail and descending Katahdin SOBO. Some AT hikers think Baxter Peak should be summitted, rather than descended. Either way, what goes up must come down and you should be more concerned with what you think.

While a night at Chimney Pond followed by an ascent of Pamola via Dudley Trail and crossing Katahdin's Knife Edge might be a desirable start, such a hike involves arranging to have one's pack shuttled to KSC or carrying one's full pack which might not be a problem if it's a relatively light, internal-framed pack, one's fit and the weather cooperates.

i did it that way last year am i trying to avoid paying a fee in baxter. we plan to summit in the morning and make it out of baxter by the end of the day, and i really want to go up the knife edge this year

i did katahdin up and down in 4 hours last year with no pack, my base weight this year is 12lb so taking it up and down katahdin wont be a problem.my dad is meeting us at katahdin ironworks so we can split the food load in half

im just trying to figure out if i can be dropped off at baxter and hike through there in one day without paying any fees

TJ aka Teej
05-07-2009, 16:58
"Show up at night"? How late? Are you hiking in from Abol or going through Togue Pond gate in a car? When are you planning on going? The east side trails might not open until mid-June. As far as 'checkpoints' there's the Gate, the Ranger station at the trailhead to Chimney Pond, and the Ranger cabin at Chimney Pond. And - why 'avoid' spending a night or two in Baxter state Park??

emerald
05-07-2009, 17:16
i trying to avoid paying a fee in baxter. we plan to summit in the morning and make it out of baxter by the end of the day, and i really want to go up the knife edge this year

You'd better be first in line at the Togue Pond gatehouse. Proceed without delay to Roaring Brook Campground.

Good luck. If everything goes exactly as planned, you might make it.:D

Cutter185
05-08-2009, 16:14
And - why 'avoid' spending a night or two in Baxter state Park??

to avoid spending money

so do they charge you at the tongue pond checkpoint for a car, and do they charge you a fee to camp at the chimney pond campsite?

emerald
05-08-2009, 16:43
Both unless your vehicle has Maine tags, then you pay only to camp. Baxter is a state park and Florida taxpayers contribute nothing toward its upkeep.

Why would you expect to stay for free? Apparently you'd happily pay for transportation to travel to Maine, but then you think someone else should support Baxter State Park Authority, the personnel they employ and the services they provide.

You are either a troll or are too lazy to read and learn how BSP came into being and how it's funded. It's a most unusual and beautiful place you should consider yourself fortunate have visited once in your lifetime. Take your complaining elsewhere.

weary
05-08-2009, 17:02
If you want to stay at Chimney pond -- and you should, it's easily the finest campsite anywhere near the trail -- you have to pay a nominal fee for going through the gate (unless you are in a Maine car) and a nominal fee to camp at Chimney Pond. I forget the prices. But you can afford it. It's less than most hikers spend for a night in town.

You don't need to do the Knife Edge to Katahdin. An easier route in bad weather is the Saddle Trail to the summit, and then down the AT to Katahdin Stream.

Usually space is available at Chimney Pond and Katahdin Stream in early Spring. But to be safe get reservations, especially on weekends.

Also, snow hangs in late in Katahdin ravines. A call to Baxter Park headquarters will provide accurate trail conditions.

BTW, it's an easy 3.5 miles from the end of the road at Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond. The summit from Chimney Pond is a relatively easy two miles via the Saddle Trail. And it's five or so miles down the AT to Katahdin Stream -- the first mile or so is a rock scramble. Strong hikers can probably get all the way to Abol Bridge, but I advise against trying it if you are soft from winter doldrums.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2009, 17:31
why 'avoid' spending a night or two in Baxter state Park??

to avoid spending money
OK, here's the thing: If there is ANYWHERE on the AT worth a $10 car fee and $20 for a campsite it's Baxter.

so do they charge you at the tongue pond checkpoint for a car, and do they charge you a fee to camp at the chimney pond campsite?
Yes, and yes. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com < go there and find answers
So, what about these questions, to help us help you:

"Show up at night"? How late? When are you planning on going?