PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Lost in Baxter car found from Penn.

Autumnwind
05-07-2009, 13:55
Search initiated for missing hiker in Baxter park

By The Associated Press

BAXTER STATE PARK, Maine — The Maine Warden Service has initiated a search for a Pennsylvania man who was last heard from late last week before setting out to hike in Baxter State Park.
Officials say the man, thought to be in his 40s, was reported to be planning to hike north of Abol Bridge.
The man's pickup truck has been located along the Appalachian Trail, whose northern terminus is atop Mount Katahdin inside the park.
Officials are seeking information from the public to assist in the search. They did not identify the man

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 14:15
Wonder if there is still snow up there? Hope they find him.

Matteroo
05-07-2009, 14:58
www.katahdincam.com

Bluebearee
05-07-2009, 15:17
So no one here on WB knows who this might be?

Yes, higher elevations still have snow, but not much left on the ground. We had exceptionally low snow fall in March and April.

emerald
05-07-2009, 17:27
So no one here on WB knows who this might be?

Officials are seeking information from the public to assist in the search. They did not identify the man.

Since his vehicle has been located, it might be reasonable to believe his identity is known to authorities. Maybe his name shouldn't appear here either until it is released by the warden's service.

Bluebearee
05-07-2009, 17:30
I see your point Emerald. I was just thinking if someone on here had been talking about coming up to Maine in May and posting an itinerary or plans it might be useful. It's a fairly unusual time of year for someone to travel all the way from PA to day hike this area.

emerald
05-07-2009, 17:33
His name and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance have already been published elsewhere. I didn't take the time to look for corroborating articles. Maybe someone can find another which provides more information.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=137683

TJ aka Teej
05-07-2009, 17:35
"weather problems led Meharg to abandon plans to climb Mount Katahdin and head south on the Appalachian Trail."

He was trying to start a SOBO???

wcgornto
05-07-2009, 17:56
Abandoned his pack AND his truck!!!

I´ve heard about high priced items being discarded along the trail out of frustration, etc., but a truck?????

traildust
05-07-2009, 18:01
quick someone cut and paste all the post from the last hiker lost thread and save us all time. why not, lost hiker in the south lost hiker in the north. dejavu all over again.

traildust
05-07-2009, 18:04
Glad he made it out and home. Saves us from 4 or 5 days of "lost hiker how could that be" . more to this story but really do we care why he went home and left behind stuff and didn't tell someone in maine he was going home.

Just a Hiker
05-07-2009, 18:11
Sounds like he didn't do much research about hiking in Maine on the AT.....like when BSP is actually open and how bad the fords are in May and that there is actually a new "high water" trail in the park. I can't believe he left his gear and truck...he must have been really disheartened by the experience and wanted to go home.

mudhead
05-07-2009, 19:12
Yo Emerald!

Next time your kin comes up to hike, let me know.

I could use a spare truck.:sun

emerald
05-07-2009, 19:23
My truck is parked in my driveway where it should be. I''ve never met the person to whom you refer and we are not related.

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2009, 19:40
...http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=2160997
That's just too damn funny, but I need more details:)

wrongway_08
05-07-2009, 20:30
Its shame this one didnt stay lost, wouldve been a favor to hikers (and the general population) everywhere.

vonfrick
05-07-2009, 22:44
what an idiot :rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2009, 09:13
http://www.wabi.tv/news/5807/warden-service-says-no-search

When contacted, he denied the backpack was his.

Turtlehiker
05-08-2009, 10:48
"The Warden Service said weather problems led Meharg to abandon plans to climb Mount Katahdin and head south on the Appalachian Trail. He then ended up on another part of the trail, fell into water and hurt himself.
Officials say Meharg left the pack on the trail and made his way to a Millinocket hospital for treatment. He then took a cab to Bangor, rented a car and drove home."

Ok this guy left his expensive pack on the trail(too bad I didn't find it), left his truck, rented a car and drove it home? *** this sounds fish! He must have hit his head or something.

Darwin Award nominee?

Bluebearee
05-08-2009, 11:14
Apparently dad had purchased said pack and equip. and he didn't want him to know he left it all behind! Yard sale in Millinocket?? :)

Turtlehiker
05-08-2009, 11:20
Yeah this guy should be billed for what ever resources went into looking for him plus extra fro being an idiot!

Just a Hiker
05-08-2009, 11:21
What gets me is that he left his truck.....I've actually seen people throw their packs down in disgust and walk away, so I can sort of understand that.........but leave you vehicle, I don't get that part.

Bluebearee
05-08-2009, 18:19
Yeah this guy should be billed for what ever resources went into looking for him plus extra fro being an idiot!

It's being considered. A lot of people hours went into this apparently between the Warden Service and BSP.

woodsy
05-08-2009, 19:25
Flatlanders in remote mountain country looking for adventure, is the truck up for auction?

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 20:57
does he deny the truck too?