PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2 cup aluminum measuring cup

greginmi
05-07-2009, 14:26
Hi,

I'm trying to lighten my load and need some help.

I am a freezerbag cooking fan and use a 5 cup Open Country coffee pot as my water boiler with a SuperCat alcohol stove. I use an Olicamp Space Saver cup right now as my hot water measuring device and coffee cup. Problem is the Space Saver is stainless steel and very heavy.

I'm thinking a 2 cup aluminum measuring cup would do the job, but can't find anything on the Internet.

Anyone seen something like this....?

Regards,
Greg

sarbar
05-07-2009, 14:56
If you want, one can take the steel and etch in the side where the measurements are - a GSI Glacier mug/pot is a good example. It is around 19 ounces.

Also, if you don't mind food grade plastics, look at the GSI mugs - some arevery light and have measurements marked inside.

Blissful
05-07-2009, 15:23
I use a plastic cup myself that has markings for measurements on it, from an old camping set. :)

JokerJersey
05-07-2009, 15:34
You could probably look into getting a used canteen cup from a military surplus store that should do the trick. They are pretty lightweight and sturdy as can be.

If you decide to go that route, you could always pick up one of the matching canteens and pouches to have a full nesting set that would hang off your belt or gear easily. Whole thing might run you $20-$25.

Joker J

cravj1988
05-07-2009, 16:24
i just use a 20oz coke bottle cut in half and mark the level with a sharpe.

Skidsteer
05-07-2009, 17:36
Hi,

I'm trying to lighten my load and need some help.

I am a freezerbag cooking fan and use a 5 cup Open Country coffee pot as my water boiler with a SuperCat alcohol stove. I use an Olicamp Space Saver cup right now as my hot water measuring device and coffee cup. Problem is the Space Saver is stainless steel and very heavy.

I'm thinking a 2 cup aluminum measuring cup would do the job, but can't find anything on the Internet.

Anyone seen something like this....?

Regards,
Greg

Yep. IMUSA mugs available at some Wal-Marts and online at https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

greginmi
05-07-2009, 17:42
Appreciate the quick responses.

Reason I want aluminum is I use the cup in my coffee pot to steam/bake yummies like the Betty Crocker Warm Delights, muffins, etc... I put about an inch of water in the pot and a strip of aluminum folded in a triangle. The cup sits on the aluminum strip so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. About 1 oz of alcohol and 9 minutes turns out a yummy desert.

So I'm thinking it has to be metal to handle this function. I'd even consider titanium, but haven't seen anything like I have in mind there either.

Regards,
Greg

greginmi
05-07-2009, 17:52
Yep. IMUSA mugs available at some Wal-Marts and online at https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Dang...

I forgot all about these.

I could just make my own measurement marks on the cup.

Thanks for the reminder.

Greg

sarbar
05-07-2009, 18:08
Ahh! You can use silicone items for steam baking as well as metal. :) I personally love my Silly Feet cupcake liners for that purpose.

This series of articles shows the many ways I have done it:
http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker

Snowleopard
05-08-2009, 10:04
IMUSA also makes a greasepot with a lid that's taller. Supposedly the lid fits the bigger cup. Amazon used to have these but don't seem to now. Hispanic groceries often carry these.

Some relatively cheap titanium at http://www.lighthound.com/Tibetan-Titanium_c_164.html, but aluminum works as well and is cheaper.

The Snowman
05-09-2009, 19:14
try looking in a baking supply place maybe King Aruther Flour

Zabigail
05-09-2009, 22:16
Try a flea market or Salvation Army or the like. They used to be rather commonplace, I remember my parents had one.

Zabigail
05-09-2009, 22:18
Drat, didn't mention things like auctions/estate sales. Bet you could have some luck at those.

greginmi
05-12-2009, 09:43
Ahh! You can use silicone items for steam baking as well as metal. :) I personally love my Silly Feet cupcake liners for that purpose.

This series of articles shows the many ways I have done it:
http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker

Sarbar,

Those articles were very helpful when I found them along with all the recipes and other advice on your site. Thanks.

I'm thinking multi-use and don't want to carry extras like silicone cup cake liners for a single purpose. I fauxbake by putting a folded strip of aluminum shaped in a triangle in my pot with about an inch of water. I mix the ingredients in my coffee/measuring cup. Once the water is boiling, I put the cup in on top of the "baking stand" to cook. Comes out great after about 10-11 minutes!

Regards,
Greg

sarbar
05-12-2009, 10:18
Greg, I think what is cool is how there are so many ways to do it :D And there is nothing like hot cake 50 miles out :D

borntobeoutdoors
05-14-2009, 23:59
You should be able to find graduated aluminum measuring cups ins sizes from one cup to one gallon at a restaurant supply store.

borntobeoutdoors
05-15-2009, 00:03
For those who are looking for a lightweigt solution that doesn't have to be metal, consider this.

I save waxed cardboard milk cartons in various sizes. I graduate them by measuring liquid and dry ingredients, pouring them into the carton and marking them.

Then I use the empty containers to carry food in. When i need to measure, i can use the cartons and also to mix. Later I can burn the cartons so I don't have to pack them out.

Airborne3325
05-15-2009, 00:56
try a military canteen cup ($4-$5) and use a hacksaw blade to scroll cup where the 1-2-3 cup marks go