PDA

View Full Version : BA Air Core Part II

Speakeasy
05-07-2009, 15:34
I'm sorry, I think I accidentally hit the enter button before I was finished with my question. I'm considering buying the Neo Air but I know the jury is still out because it's a pretty new project. I've been doing some research and it seems that the BA Air Core gets some pretty good reviews. I want to save weight but I also want a dependable pad. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated (even if you have commented on the subject a hundred times:rolleyes:...

Thank you,
Nrvana

ChinMusic
05-07-2009, 15:55
I own a BA Insulated Air Core. I like it. It is comfortable and useful to its rated temperature of 15°.

That said, if I were buying today, and planning on temps above freezing, I would go with the Neo. It is a new product and there are reports of some units leaking. I think some of the reports are from folks that don't realize that once an inflatable is inflated with warm air (mouth) that it will lose tension as it cools (simple physics).

ANY inflatable is susceptible to a leak. I would think the Neo might be a bit more susceptible due to it being a lighter material, but that is only a guess.

Bottom line: If I were buying today, and planning on temps above freezing, I would go with the Neo.

Rosborn88
05-07-2009, 16:04
I would agree. While it's much more expensive, it's soooo much lighter. I've also noticed that EMS has a BA air core knock off. Not sure of the weight specifics but if I remember correctly the short version was 11 oz. It was around 50-60 bucks last I checked. IMO not as comfortable as the neo (I own one and love it!)

skinewmexico
05-07-2009, 16:09
I'd read the review on BPL about the Neo. Of course, I use a POE Ether Thermo 6. Comfortable sleeping for years now.

mweinstone
05-07-2009, 16:19
i dont know what a neo air dummy is but ill tell you sumthin,..............my girls gonna get a work out tonight. yep. its , benn apart a week sex nite at matthewskis. i got the flowers and the bacon and all the fudge and chocolate well need. yup. ummmhmmm

Franco
05-07-2009, 19:59
Neo Air 72"L, 2.5" H, 14oz, R2.5
BA Air Insulated Core 72"L, 2.5" H, 24oz , R4.1

So the BA for 70% more weight has 60% more thermal resistance.
R2.5 min temp 28f (+/-) Exped figure
R4.1 15f (+/-) according to BA

Franco

nufsaid
05-07-2009, 20:09
i dont know what a neo air dummy is but ill tell you sumthin,..............my girls gonna get a work out tonight. yep. its , benn apart a week sex nite at matthewskis. i got the flowers and the bacon and all the fudge and chocolate well need. yup. ummmhmmm

I bet her parents would love to read your post. Some things are better kept to yourself. Just sayin. But hope you guys have fun.

Speakeasy
05-07-2009, 20:14
Truer words were never spoken :D

nufsaid
05-07-2009, 20:27

Of course if your gal is inflatable ignore my previous post.

slow-n-steady
05-08-2009, 00:33
I have a BA I can't complain it gives me the best nights sleep I ever had hiking

Reid
05-08-2009, 00:43
Of course if your gal is inflatable ignore my previous post.

Nice hook and a jab!

buz
05-08-2009, 09:00
Well, that one was a coffee spitter upper, Nuf. Way to go, keeping within the post gear question and coming up with a knee slapper, (or in my case, coffee in the nose, lol). Best funny one I have seen in here for a long time.

Staying on the post question, I have the BA, and various TR's, not the NEO. For me, the BA is better than my best TR, the LE version. Lighter, more comfy. Not rated for me down to temp specs. Below 30, it sucks the heat out of me. But If I add a ridge rest on top, no problem. Or if really cold, I just bring my TR LE model instead.

jrnj5k
05-08-2009, 09:08
If you throw a gossamer gear thin light under the neo in the winter you can exceed the insulation properties of the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and at a considerable weight savings....

hawkeye
05-08-2009, 09:16
I'm a sucker for new gear. I have a BA but if I can save weight! I Have a GG pad from my hammock days. Good idea. MUST GET NEO AIR....
Gee, if I lose 40lbs that would be cheaper!

ChinMusic
05-08-2009, 09:42
If you throw a gossamer gear thin light under the neo in the winter you can exceed the insulation properties of the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and at a considerable weight savings....
Exceed it might be a push but it would be a good solution. And you would pick up a sit-pad.

That prob would be the route if I were buying today: Neo plus a very light insulated pad.

Franco
05-08-2009, 20:05
"If you throw a gossamer gear thin light under the neo "
Thermally it works better the other way around, however you may be more comfortable with the inflatable on top.
Franco