PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CO section suggestions.

Cassie
05-07-2009, 18:56
Have about a month to hike starting in early June. No car; will probably fly in and out of Denver but open to suggestions. Would like to stay away from crowded commercial campgrounds when possible. Experienced long distance UL hiker in good condition, looking to do around 8-15 miles a day, no NOBO/SOBO preference.

MOWGLI
05-07-2009, 19:03
Have about a month to hike starting in early June. No car; will probably fly in and out of Denver but open to suggestions. Would like to stay away from crowded commercial campgrounds when possible. Experienced long distance UL hiker in good condition, looking to do around 8-15 miles a day, no NOBO/SOBO preference.

I-70 to Twin Lakes is a beautiful 60 miles. I did it in '05 with my kid. That's both the the Colorado Trail & CDT. Mags has a good CT end to end users guide;

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/coloradotrail_info.html

OOPS. Didn't see you had a month. Continue south all the way to Durango.

fta
05-07-2009, 19:22
you might ask this same question in the colorado trail fourm on this site for more responses. the ct would fill your month that you have.

Sly
05-07-2009, 19:39
Unless you plan on bringing snow shoes, early June is normally way too early to hike in CO for a month and this years average is above normal.

You could try flying in to Albuquerque and hiking north from Grants, NM. Even then, by the time you get there, the South San Juans will still have some snow, but atleast it will be easier to manage.

fta
05-07-2009, 19:44
june will be fine to hike. pretty warm out, snows melting fast already less snow now than last year for the state

Sly
05-07-2009, 19:47
june will be fine to hike. pretty warm out, snows melting fast already less snow now than last year for the state

Perhaps. I was just out there and there was still tons of snow on Cumbres Pass. Wolf Creek had skiing.

Cassie
05-07-2009, 21:25
I was wondering about the snow. I have cold weather gear but not snowshoes.

If I start at Grants, NM, what's the terrain like? I'm specifically trying to get away from anything dry or even remotely resembling a southwest desert.

I'll also try asking the CT forum, thanks.

fiddlehead
05-07-2009, 21:37
NM and CO are like night and day.
As soon as you hit the border, things change. Quickly
The mountains are much higher, more snow, jagged peaks, etc.

I suggest you do the CO trail. It is close to Denver.
Since things seem to be warming up fast (as someone said), you would start out ok and probably not hit too much snow until after Breckinridge (going SOBO).
You could skip that section easily if the snow is too deep by using the local transit buses between Breck and Copper mountain. (used to be free, don't know now?)

starting at Grants is so much less spectacular, hard to get to your put-in point, and you still have the same problem when you get to the border (NM/CO) unless you go SOBO.

My 2 cents anyway.

Another option would be to go to Leadville and head NOBO on the CDT. Lower elevations in that section bringing you to Copper mountain and then you could decide to take the CO Trail or the CDT. (CDT always more scenic and better but would have more snow)

Have fun. sounds like a good trip.

Cassie
05-09-2009, 18:48
FYI for anyone else who might be considering a June hike: just got off the phone with RMNP (Backcountry number) and the CDT is closed within RMNP due to avalanche danger and won't open until July 1. I guess there has been a lot of snow this year. They also confimed that they do require bear canisters if you overnight anywhere within the park now.

Is there a one-month section that's not in the desert but doesn't go up high enough that the snowpack presents a hazard?

garlic08
05-09-2009, 19:37
FYI for anyone else who might be considering a June hike: just got off the phone with RMNP (Backcountry number) and the CDT is closed within RMNP due to avalanche danger and won't open until July 1. I guess there has been a lot of snow this year. They also confimed that they do require bear canisters if you overnight anywhere within the park now.

Is there a one-month section that's not in the desert but doesn't go up high enough that the snowpack presents a hazard?

Your first post says you're experienced--do you have snow travel experience, like the Sierra Nevada in June on the PCT?

Early June can be really wet and muddy below treeline and there can be some difficult postholing (afternoon) and frozen snow (mornings) above treeline. It's really not the best time to hike a long trail in the state.

The CDT in RMNP is easily avoided--just follow the Wolf route that barely touches the park for a couple of miles near Grand Lake.

Avalanches aren't a huge hazard then. The snowpack is consolidated and the most you'll generally see is surface sloughing.

Cassie
05-09-2009, 22:55
Lots of experience hiking in snow but not the kind that merits snowshoes. No Sierra experience.

If I go SOBO from Grand Lake how likely is it I'd run into avalanche conditions south of there?

Mags
05-10-2009, 19:42
Early June in Colorado is going to be problematic along the CT/CDT.

Too much snow for hiking, not enough snow for consistent use of snowshoes.

In general, the high country does not really open up until later June. Some areas, such as the San Juans, even later.

Every year is different, but here is a photo from 4th of July weekend a few years ago in the Zirkels. Just north of Grand Lake by trail:

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10401&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

This is "only" at 10300' or so!

Not that you can't go, it is just not much fun. :)

Mags
05-10-2009, 19:44

I disagree. Low snow does not mean NO snow. :)

Later June will be fine. Early June? Wouldn't count on it for most of the CT/CDT.

(Lost Creek Wilderness OTOH....)

fta
05-10-2009, 21:24
as for this years snow it is lower already than last year, low snow doesnt mean no snow i know but it will be manageable many places are already under 30 inches and southern colorado has even less this year. this is why i say it will not be a big pronlem this june.

fiddlehead
05-10-2009, 21:33
Another low route choice might be starting at Creede NOBO.
You would have a huge climb and a bunch of snow right in the beginning but once you get over San Luis Pass, it drops to much lower elevation and stays that way for a while.

Cassie
05-10-2009, 22:53
Creede looks a little difficult to get to.

What if I started at Durango and went NOBO?

Not sure I could make it to Denver by July 3rd, though.

garlic08
05-11-2009, 01:08
You hit the La Plata Mts pretty much right away out of Durango. As Mags said, not impossible but a lot of tough work, tricky navigating, and slow going--mud, water, ice, steep snow. Then after Molas Pass you're into the San Juans, very high and very isolated country, much more of the same and many miles to your next resupply (Creede).

You're right, Creede is very difficult to get to.