PDA

View Full Version : What's your stick

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:22
Rather strange title huh. Ok do you use a walking stick or poles and if so what do you use. When I first started hiking I would never take a walking stick, but quickly into my hike I would find a nice stick and begin to turn it into a nice walking stick. Not only has this kept me from buying junk, but it also gave me something to do at night till I fell asleep. I have sworn up and down I would never use hiking poles, but I wonder what am I missing? I also wonder what is this difference between poles.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 21:40
but I wonder what am I missing?

Not a damn thing. Tried em and hated them!! If you fall, you run the risk of impaling(sp) yourself. I go so much slower with them.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:41
Not a damn thing. Tried em and hated them!! If you fall, you run the risk of impaling(sp) yourself. I go so much slower with them.
Ya know how to make a guy feel good about his decisions lol

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 21:43
They are for some people though. If you want to test some, go to Walmart and get a set for $30 and see if you like em.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:43
I have a 1 inch wood dowel with a rubber stopper on the bottom that I will take tomorrow and if I like it I will take it for a longer hike in June

fiddlehead
05-07-2009, 21:44
I grab a piece of anything to use to keep the snakes warned that i'm coming. (here in the jungles of Thailand)
That and knocking back brush and vines sometimes.
Besides that, i hate having something in my hands when walking or running.
Anything works for me although i prefer it to be lightweight and at least breast high. (bamboo is good)

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:45
They are for some people though. If you want to test some, go to Walmart and get a set for $30 and see if you like em.
Walmart is why I asked, I saw a pair for 17 today, the biggest thing is though I like having a free hand to drink or pop a picture, or send a text pic to friends

Phoenixdadeadhead
I grab a piece of anything to use to keep the snakes warned that i'm coming. (here in the jungles of Thailand)
That and knocking back brush and vines sometimes.
Besides that, i hate having something in my hands when walking or running.
Anything works for me although i prefer it to be lightweight and at least breast high. (bamboo is good)
Feel free to mail me a 5 foot 8 inch piece of bamboo lol

Chaco Taco
Walmart is why I asked, I saw a pair for 17 today, the biggest thing is though I like having a free hand to drink or pop a picture, or send a text pic to friends

Thats why I cant stand them

fiddlehead
05-07-2009, 21:48
I agree they slow you down.

Shipping fees would be much more than a thrift store ski pole. (on the bamboo)

Skidsteer
05-07-2009, 21:49

If you decide to buy the Wal-Mart poles, test them first. Some hold up well to weight. Others not so much.

I agree with you on the one hand free thing. I converted a trekking pole whose mate bit the big one into a hiking staff by removing the handgrip and replacing it with some cold shrink.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:53
I am kinda surprised, I half expected a billion raving reviews for poles, I am glad to see I am not missin a thing lol

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 21:54
I am kinda surprised, I half expected a billion raving reviews for poles, I am glad to see I am not missin a thing lol

Wait til LW chimes in:D:D

Egads
05-07-2009, 21:55
I like my one piece Gossamer Gear carbon fiber poles. Very light and going strong in their third season. I know their are trekking pole critics, but they are also those who swear by them.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 22:00
I will say 1 nice thing about taking a stick is I have modified my wood dowel with a simple loop of string so it is a good mate for my nylon tarp

Elder
05-07-2009, 22:01
Go to any Leki dealer, they usually have Demo's.:)
If your poles will not (By label) hold body weight, why bother?:-?
ASK any Leki owner.:banana
Give them a serious try, don't listen to the whiners. :rolleyes:

There really is no comparison.

pattydivins
05-07-2009, 22:15
I have a pretty cool, relatively lightweight staff that is carved from a tree branch, does anybody use something like this while on a long distance hike?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 22:19
I have used branches I have found along the way for years. This will be my first season taking a stick with me

Skidsteer
05-07-2009, 22:20
I have a pretty cool, relatively lightweight staff that is carved from a tree branch, does anybody use something like this while on a long distance hike?

That's all I carried for years until I got a tent that needed something adjustable.

sheepdog
05-08-2009, 00:10
Poles Rock!!
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/bamboo_hiking_poles_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26652&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=14920&cutoffdate=-1)
three dollar bambo poles from thrift store. Light strong, durable. Don't leave home without them.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-08-2009, 00:14
Poles Rock!!
Why? What is it you like about using poles? Tell me a person who has never used poles what he is missing.

slow-n-steady
05-08-2009, 00:18
Why? What is it you like about using poles? Tell me a person who has never used poles what he is missing.
balance on rocks

sheepdog
05-08-2009, 00:18
At age 33 you may not need them. I hike with my sons who are in their late twenties and they don't like them. I am 53 and they give me stability when going down hill. Have saved me from many falls and twisted ankles. They let my arms help push me up hills. They push wet grass and branches out of the way. They are great for knocking down spider webs. Good defenders against dogs with an attitude. The only time they get in the way is on flat walks. That doesn't happen all that much on the AT.

Tinker
05-08-2009, 00:23
At age 33 you may not need them. I hike with my sons who are in their late twenties and they don't like them. I am 53 and they give me stability when going down hill. Have saved me from many falls and twisted ankles. They let my arms help push me up hills. They push wet grass and branches out of the way. They are great for knocking down spider webs. Good defenders against dogs with an attitude. The only time they get in the way is on flat walks. That doesn't happen all that much on the AT.

I agree with all the above except trekking poles aren't much help when the trail gets nearly vertical, up especially.
I, like most hikers, started without poles, decided to use a single stick found in the woods back in the 1990s, tried trekking poles around 2003 (bought some closeout Leki "Health Tracks" poles at Sierra Trading Post for around $45.00, am still using them, and only hike without poles now when I'm just doing a steep climb up a mountain for a dayhike). I often use them to guy out the fly over my hammock for better airflow and views when it's raining but not windy.

Many Walks
05-08-2009, 00:27
Two Black Diamond Terra poles with broad cork grips. A lot of people use poles, but it doesn't matter what we think. You'll decide soon enough if they're right for you. I vote against buying a cheap pair to start with, as it's money wasted if you decide to buy a decent pair. A lot of hikers that use them have more than one set and would be glad to loan them for a trial. Personally, I'll take my BD's out any day before the Lekis.

You'll have time to stop and snap the pic. I shot 1100 and the poles didn't interfere.

Many Walks
05-08-2009, 00:39
Titanium tips give traction on rocks.

Poles help you brace against the current while fording and against the high wind on cliffs.

I tap logs before I stick my foot on the other side.

They are great for pushing poison ivy/oak out of the path so it doesn't get on your clothes.

They keep nasty dogs at bay.

Some use them to hold up tents and tarps.

Good for whacking shelter mice off your pack.

Some of the rock steps up North are pretty high and good poles are excellent for pushing up.

They are great to stop momentum to avoid going too fast on a steep down.

But you'll find out soon enough if they're right for you.

zoidfu
05-08-2009, 00:48
A bamboo stick that someone left at a trail head- Also good for my trail enforcement duties.

Elder
05-08-2009, 00:49
Two Black Diamond Terra poles with broad cork grips. A lot of people use poles, but it doesn't matter what we think. You'll decide soon enough if they're right for you. I vote against buying a cheap pair to start with, as it's money wasted if you decide to buy a decent pair. A lot of hikers that use them have more than one set and would be glad to loan them for a trial. Personally, I'll take my BD's out any day before the Lekis.

You'll have time to stop and snap the pic. I shot 1100 and the poles didn't interfere.
I agree, cheap poles might introduce you, but are equally likely to fail at the wrong time.
The B.D's are decent, if you want nearly 30% heavier at 2/3 the strength of the latest Leki's....but descent compared to the :eek: poles some are offering!

Seeker
05-08-2009, 06:22
i use a single stick, but have 2 of them. the first one was an elm staff i cut when i was a twelve year old boy scout. it finally wore down to the point i needed a new one. it has now been retired to being a dog-thrasher on my evening walks... the other one is a 6' oak staff i cut a couple years ago. as i got older, i found i needed something to ease me up and down the steeper portions of trails, and to balance across footlogs. i added a steel point to the end of it, and hopefully this will lengthen its lifespan. it makes a world of difference to my knees.

Homer&Marje
05-08-2009, 06:28
Made out of some local hardwood in SNP. Marje has one too just smaller

CowHead
05-08-2009, 06:55
I like using my down the mountain more than anytime else I take a pair and just stick em in the outside of the pack when not in used I used wally world brand also comes in handed for tarp poles

zoidfu
05-08-2009, 06:59
Made out of some local hardwood in SNP. Marje has one too just smaller

I notice that it's curved. Do like the curve in or out or to the side? Do you prefer it to be curved like that?

First person to make this into something sexual is a douche bag.:banana

Wheeler
05-08-2009, 07:21
All of the above positives ring true,there are no negatives unless your just clumsy,Regardless what/how your pole is made,a lot of the advantage is in the strap.You can push down on your palm.You can make it yourself out of many materials, should you chose to take an advantage. nuff said.

Hikes in Rain
05-08-2009, 07:26
Well......Oh, never mind! There's no sport to it!

My old stick was curved, as well. Since it was a chunk of laurel, it has more than one curve. I liked the curve out. No real conscious thought to that, though, it just seemed to want to go that way.

While saving me from a real bad fall coming down Standing Indian in a thunderstorm, the strain caused an internal split. When you tapped it, you could hear it was unsound. Rather than risk breaking it after hundreds of miles of use, I retired it to lean against the framed AT map in the library. My wife gave me a pair of Leki ultralites, and the difference was astonishing. And they make darned good adjustable tarp poles, to boot.

nelisx
05-08-2009, 07:32
i used to look for a stick when i went into the woods. i got smart, i bought a pair of poles from REI when they were on clearance this winter.

-poles make the downhills easy on the knees
-pull yourself uphill with your poles. don't make your legs do all the work!
-spreads out the workload to your arms and legs, keeping your legs fresh longer.
-increases stability through 2 extra contact points to the ground.
-fends off snakes and critters.
-gives you something to lean on when you stop for a break.
-doubles as tent poles.
-who cares what brand, as long as they work.

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 07:54
Not experienced as you all, but for the 14 months of serious hiking I've been been doing here in Okinawa, my Leki (not promoting any brand!) poles have saved me from numerous slips off mossy rocks and slippery roots. When the next step is 2-3 feet down, its nice to set the poles for an easy descent foot plant. I'm no expert and have never hiked the AT, but my poles have been very useful on the terrain I experience over here!

Flush2wice
05-08-2009, 08:29
Aerial photogragh of trail erosion caused by store bought hiking poles:

http://www.aegweb.org/images/AOP/Hydro/photo2.jpg

Lemni Skate
05-08-2009, 08:31
I had a pair given to me about my fifth day out (I had been using a simple stick). I absolutely loved them, but I have found that my hands goes numb when I use anything now, so I do without.

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:32

Damage by a Leki for sure!

traildust
05-08-2009, 08:37
Again personal preference. Wife and I hiked Md, PA and then got sticks. We never hike without them now. If you search this site you will find a couple hundred posts pro and con on this subject. For us, it helps going down hill and uphill. Fitness is a factor, pack weight, speed, intent of your walk. We also had no problem drinking with the sticks and taking photos - we got 5000 photos - since most sticks have loops for your hands to go through before you grab the pole. Time will tell which is right for you. Your knees may also have something to say.

sheepdog
05-08-2009, 09:02

Obviously damage caused by trail runners. Poles actually help trails by providing little holes for seeds to sprout in.

Ladytrekker
05-08-2009, 09:05
I am a klutz so I use trekking poles. They also give you good upper body exercise by swinging your arms back and forth.

Elder
05-08-2009, 09:13
Nice picture.
Obviously caused by Wooden Sticks AKA PLOWS with or without steel plow blades and Jehovah Sticks...leading their people to freedom logs.:-?

Besides...no baskets! :mad:

They make good kindling!

Homer&Marje
05-08-2009, 09:24
I notice that it's curved. Do like the curve in or out or to the side? Do you prefer it to be curved like that?

First person to make this into something sexual is a douche bag.:banana

:D When I am going up hill I keep the curve to the front, to make the stick shorter effectively....and downhill I keep the curve in the back to make it longer....effectively.

SkraM
05-08-2009, 09:29
I like my inexpensive Swiss Gear hiking poles from Walmart. Why You ask?
- They are easily replaced for a mere $17.00
- Faster uphill climbs.
- Less pressure on the knees going downhill.
- Balance (saved my butt from many falls).
- My hands get numb when hiking without the poles.
- Knock down spider those webs while hiking (big plus - don't like them webs on my face.)
Yes, I use the straps. No, I would not purchase an expensive pair of LEKI poles - a pole is a pole whether it is a stick, ski pole, swiss gear, or leki.

Rockhound
05-08-2009, 09:50
All of the above positives ring true,there are no negatives unless your just clumsy,Regardless what/how your pole is made,a lot of the advantage is in the strap.You can push down on your palm.You can make it yourself out of many materials, should you chose to take an advantage. nuff said.
Straps have also been known to break wrists and separate shoulders. Pole gets stuck, momentum carries you forward.... It has happened and it will happen again. I use stcks. The pole junkies can go on and on about their straps and weight and durability and the compass thingy and the medical kits etc... that come with some poles. I still ain't sold. . THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE OF POLES OVER STICKS. There are advantages of sticks over poles however. They are free. They are plentiful. They don't make that click clack sound constantly. They can also take on sentimental value. They are personalized. Any of the so called advantages of poles are imagined or completely insignificant. Adjustable for tarp support is the only real plus but I use a Hubba. It was'nt all that long ago when you did'nt see poles on the trail. No they are a must have piece of essential gear? Please.

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 10:08
Stated earlier that poles are great! But when you climb Mount Fuji (I will for my second time this July) they give you a staff (basically a stick) that you can have branded at certain check points on your way up!! Summary: sticks are as good as carbon poles!

Elder
05-08-2009, 10:38
I like my inexpensive Swiss Gear hiking poles from Walmart. Why You ask?
- They are easily replaced for a mere $17.00
- Faster uphill climbs.
- Less pressure on the knees going downhill.
- Balance (saved my butt from many falls).
- My hands get numb when hiking without the poles.
- Knock down spider those webs while hiking (big plus - don't like them webs on my face.)
Yes, I use the straps. No, I would not purchase an expensive pair of LEKI poles - a pole is a pole whether it is a stick, ski pole, swiss gear, or leki.
:mad: NO When the LABEL says "BALANCE ONLY WILL NOT SUPPORT BODY WEIGHT"...there is a HUGE difference...even if You can not see it.

Misuse of straps can hurt you. Use them like ski straps, they support and minimize the effort to hold them.;)

Kanati
05-08-2009, 10:46
Roy Sumney of Damascus has a nice pair of sticks. Look like twins. Both have a nice curve to them. And the older guy from GA, can't remember his name, uses two neat sticks with rubber tips. Saw him in Manchester Center, VT last July. What's his name? I remember how nice and encouraging he was when he sat down on a bench beside me while I was suffering with Lyme Disease.

I personally use a single hickory stick with a loop for my thumb when I need some added leverage. This stick saved my tail several times after my knees got so sore and stiff they wouldn't bend much when the step down was excessive as it is in NH and ME. The one stick also allows me to step down and pivot 90 degrees at the same time. I wore about 3-4 inches off it last year.

Having one had free is nice too so that you can grab hold of tree limbs, bushes and anything to keep from sliding down those new england declines. I could not do it with both hands on hiking poles or two sticks.

And, my preferred way to boogie when I need to make miles is to put one hand in my pocket, other hand on my stick about chest high, lower my head so I can keep watch for rocks and roots, kick in the after-burner and burn up the miles. Boogadie, Boogadie, Boogadie, boys!! (Quote: old DW)

SkraM
05-08-2009, 11:14
:mad: NO When the LABEL says "BALANCE ONLY WILL NOT SUPPORT BODY WEIGHT"...there is a HUGE difference...even if You can not see it.

Misuse of straps can hurt you. Use them like ski straps, they support and minimize the effort to hold them.;)

NO What?? No- you disagree with my experiences? No-you disagree with using poles? What are you the hike king? The creater of the thread clearly wanted to know if others used a stick or poles and why. I answered his question. What did you offer other than a disagreement over my hiking preference. What's up with that?
YES - I use pole to assist with climbs
YES - Poles take the pressure off the knees on downslopes
YES - They help with balance
YES - I knock down those pesky early morning spider webs.

So what are you saying NO to? I don't get. HYOH

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 11:31
HMOHD:banana

Elder
05-08-2009, 11:39
The NO is to the no difference comment.
The S.G. poles (using the term loosely) say On the Label, for Balance only.
Lekis hold.
Some complain about the little holes from trekking poles, wooden sticks have been used as plows for centuries and as walking sticks do much more damage to the trail.
Trekking poles offer huge benefits, used correctly leave little trace, and greatly enhance your hike...ask the 80%+ who finish a long hike.
No they are not for everyone. HYOH.. But try not to confuse the newbies!

I suggest borrowing from a friend, or demoing from a retailer (test drive).
Learn to use them correctly..straps and all.
Then decide if they are for you.
Leki owners almost never complain about the price..they set the standard no one else comes close, quality, service, durability.

No I am not hiking king, I'll leave that for LW!! :D

SkraM
05-08-2009, 11:57
Allow me to guess, Sir Elder.:rolleyes: You're a LEKI dealer using Whitblazes to hock your product. If my guess is correct, I'm not sure that gives you credibility or not because your pocket is lined on product sales regardless of the accuracy your claims.
If you're not a dealer or marketeer my apologies for the above comment.:)

Elder
05-08-2009, 12:39
Never denied, I am the Leki guy. :D

Service at Trail days anyone? :banana

Elder
05-08-2009, 12:40
Allow me to guess, Sir Elder.:rolleyes: You're a LEKI dealer using Whitblazes to hock your product. If my guess is correct, I'm not sure that gives you credibility or not because your pocket is lined on product sales regardless of the accuracy your claims.
If you're not a dealer or marketeer my apologies for the above comment.:)

;) Nobody ever pays you for work or knowledge?
No apology needed, I never denied being the Leki guy..

leeki pole
05-08-2009, 12:48
When I fly, I use a collapsible trekking pole, a Leki (of course I mispronounced it due to my redneck roots, hence my trail name) and when I drive I use a handmade maple staff with trail medallions on it. Always creates nice conversations around a campfire about trails hiked and memories and such, with a little Jack Daniels, makes for a nice evening.

sly dog
05-08-2009, 12:59
I used the walmart ones and they wont collapse after a while. Also they are heavy and the handles are uncomfortable as are the straps. I now have some Leki UL's and love em. I started without poles but I prefer hiking with them. Some say it slows their pace but it quickened mine, I guess cuz of the swinging rhythm. There are reasons not to have them and reasons to have them so it's a users decision on what they like just as any gear. On flat sections or heading into or out of town mine are collapsed and on my pack. One bad thing with a stick is if you are getting a ride into town with other hikers it could be cumbersome in a cramped vehicle, I've seen it. I like to hang my pack on them in camp so as to keep it off the ground. I put the poles in an x pattern, hook the straps onto each others handle and hang pack, then cover it with pack cover. I use them like others said to check for snakes on rocky or log areas and to make some noise when hitting a blind turn or at night so I don't startle bears. I do have pins in my knee that hurt on long days and I feel safer having those aluminum backups in case my knee gives out. Just some reasons I use them.

OldStormcrow
05-08-2009, 15:54
The Leki rep once told me that using hiking sticks or poles will reduce the impact on your knees and feet by up to 35% on downhills. My beat-up old knees, hips and ankles appreciate all the help they can get on uphills AND downhills these days. I have always prefered the old fashioned "analog" hiking stick. Mine is made of crepe myrtle, has no moving parts that can malfunction and I've been using it since about 1987. Usually whenever I see someone with a pair of trekking poles they are blasting along with their head down and frantically clicking their hiking sticks like some sort of demeted locomotive, leaving little worm holes along the sides of the trail and missing everything around them but the ground in front of their feet. They just seem to be moving 'way too fast to be having any fun.

SloHiker
05-08-2009, 16:15

"Did I do that?"
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNjE1NTA4MzAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzg3NjM2._V1._ SX268_SY400_.jpg

Rockhound
05-08-2009, 16:20
another statistic pulled out of someones butt. How exactly did they come up with that # 35%? Not denying that poles or STICKS can reduce stress, I'm just alittle leary of ficticious numbers used to support claims and sell merchandise. 95% of all statistics are made up just so they can be used to make you believe whatever the peddlar of said merchandise wants you to believe. I know my sticks cost 100% less than whatever anyone evr paid for their metal clickitty-clackers.

OldStormcrow
05-08-2009, 16:27
Hmmm....95% of all statistics are made up, eh? Hmmmm....I wonder how exactly "they" figured those numbers up, then?

Rockhound
05-08-2009, 16:29
:rolleyes:I forgot the sarcasm face. Anyone who knows me realizes it is not necessary. Just assume I'm always being sarcastic.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Summit
05-08-2009, 18:03
Wow, 4 pages in 24 hours, 'bout time we had another round of trekking pole wars! :p

rockhound's "THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE OF POLES OVER STICKS" is an absurd statement! I've said it countless times . . . the difference between sticks and trekking poles is the straps and how they shift the stress/load from the hands to the arms and upper body when adjusted properly. Those who cut them off or don't use them or don't use them properly might as well use sticks.

Why are 90+% of thru hikers using trekking poles today? Young and old alike? Marketing hype, as some claim? I think we have a case of old school vs. new technology that works, as is verified by the majority of hikers. Go figure! :)

Black Diamond Trail are my choice. The 'flick-lock' mechanisms are awesome.

laherb
05-08-2009, 19:29
my knees aren't that great and trekking poles help take the load off. i agree with Summit black diamond poles with flick-lock are nice!!!

sheepdog
05-08-2009, 20:10
another statistic pulled out of someones butt. How exactly did they come up with that # 35%? Not denying that poles or STICKS can reduce stress, I'm just alittle leary of ficticious numbers used to support claims and sell merchandise. 95% of all statistics are made up just so they can be used to make you believe whatever the peddlar of said merchandise wants you to believe. I know my sticks cost 100% less than whatever anyone evr paid for their metal clickitty-clackers.
twentyfive percent of the people don't believe in statistics;)

Kanati
05-08-2009, 20:19

:bananaI love WB. You just put down the lack of accuracy of statistics and then use one that there is no possible way to prove. LOL

sheepdog
05-08-2009, 20:24
:bananaI love WB. You just put down the lack of accuracy of statistics and then use one that there is no possible way to prove. LOL
Nuh uhhhhhhhhh!!!

Summit
05-08-2009, 21:04
OK, I used a "90+%" "statistic" in my #63 post. I was out for 5 days the first week in April on the AT near NOC and encountered about 50 thru hikers personally, with only a couple not using poles. When we finished at NOC, the place was jammed with thru hikers and I believe my statistic is actually conservative as to the percentage who were sporting trekking poles. Now that's not a statistic you can read somewhere. That's a first-hand observation statistic. But then, cynics don't believe anything they don't want to believe, so statistics to them, are irrelevant. :rolleyes:

sticks&stones
05-08-2009, 21:29
a dinosaur bone, and a piece of rope sprayed down with starch

RockDoc
05-09-2009, 20:20
I have a dozen wood or bamboo walking sticks. Fav is a beaver chewed stick from a beaver dam in Montana.
We got technical poles for support when we bought a Tarptent Squall 2, and my wife and I each carry one when we carry that tent. However, we hold it horizontally most of the time while walking.

The "crutches" act that I see so much of is not for us.

calculating infinity
05-10-2009, 01:26
i use a piece of bamboo i cut down from the neighbors back yard, it works great for getting out of muck when swamp walking. however, i dont find it to be necessary on trails unless they are exceptionally hilly or the footing is really bad.

OceanSJB
05-10-2009, 02:11
50 % of the time.. they work every time !

Wheeler
05-10-2009, 04:51
Straps have also been known to break wrists and separate shoulders. Pole gets stuck, momentum carries you forward.... It has happened and it will happen again. I use stcks. The pole junkies can go on and on about their straps and weight and durability and the compass thingy and the medical kits etc... that come with some poles. I still ain't sold. . THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE OF POLES OVER STICKS. There are advantages of sticks over poles however. They are free. They are plentiful. They don't make that click clack sound constantly. They can also take on sentimental value. They are personalized. Any of the so called advantages of poles are imagined or completely insignificant. Adjustable for tarp support is the only real plus but I use a Hubba. It was'nt all that long ago when you did'nt see poles on the trail. No they are a must have piece of essential gear? Please.
I said you can make 'em out of whatever.....unless your just clumsy

Kanati
05-10-2009, 11:10
Roy Sumney of Damascus has a nice pair of sticks. Look like twins. Both have a nice curve to them. And the older guy from GA, can't remember his name, uses two neat sticks with rubber tips. Saw him in Manchester Center, VT last July. What's his name? I remember how nice and encouraging he was when he sat down on a bench beside me while I was suffering with Lyme Disease.

I personally use a single hickory stick with a loop for my thumb when I need some added leverage. This stick saved my tail several times after my knees got so sore and stiff they wouldn't bend much when the step down was excessive as it is in NH and ME. The one stick also allows me to step down and pivot 90 degrees at the same time. I wore about 3-4 inches off it last year.

Having one had free is nice too so that you can grab hold of tree limbs, bushes and anything to keep from sliding down those new england declines. I could not do it with both hands on hiking poles or two sticks.

And, my preferred way to boogie when I need to make miles is to put one hand in my pocket, other hand on my stick about chest high, lower my head so I can keep watch for rocks and roots, kick in the after-burner and burn up the miles. Boogadie, Boogadie, Boogadie, boys!! (Quote: old DW)

I just thought of his name....."Grits"

Wise Old Owl
05-10-2009, 11:14

So thats why all the travelers on Roman roads ended up on pikes? (200AD):eek:

Summit
05-10-2009, 13:36
If you fall, you run the risk of impaling(sp) yourself.That would seem to naturally be within the realm of possibility, but I have never heard of that happening. Has anyone? I think (could be wrong) that when poles snap, it is from lateral stress such that the force that snaps it naturally sends the pole one way and the hiker the opposite way.

Many Walks
05-10-2009, 23:51
;) Nobody ever pays you for work or knowledge?
No apology needed, I never denied being the Leki guy..
Elder, you bash Black Diamonds because you sell Leki's.

I'll just say we have a few sets of Leki Makalu poles and agree they are decent, but for me the grip is narrow, the top is small and can cause blisters on long downhills, and I need to re tighten them after some use. They are higher quality than most brands and maybe lighter, but I keep leaving the Leki's leaning in the corner and taking my Black Diamond Terra's.

My BD Terra's have the best grip I've ever used, the top is broad and comfortable going downhill and the lock is positive with no need for re tightening. While you say they may be heavier, I feel the BD's are stout and have a great feel. I replaced the lower sections because of normal wear from a lot of miles and I slipped on a tree root and broke one when I landed on it, but BD was extremely responsive and good to work with.

Yes, Leki's are good, but I just prefer my Black Diamonds as an all around more comfortable pole...personal choice, but I didn't see any BD reps giving a viewpoint. So I threw in my two cents. Regards.

brooklynkayak
05-15-2009, 19:28

That's how I feel about eye glasses, a stupid item. I can see better without.

But trekking poles are another matter. I can walk maybe 5 miles a day before my bad leg gives up. On trekking poles, I can triple that.

darkage
05-15-2009, 19:57
They work, I perfer hiking without untill i need the extra swing in my step and help with balance over technical boulder dash's or downhills ... 75% of the time they are lashed to my pack, and the other 25% of the time when i need them, i'm happy to have carried the few ounces .... HYOH, This is just what works for me.

Engine
05-15-2009, 20:01
I agree they slow you down.

Shipping fees would be much more than a thrift store ski pole. (on the bamboo)

As has been said before, it's much more common to hike a bit faster with trekking poles than without. But it is an individual thing and yrmv.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-15-2009, 20:57
I just picked up a 7/8 inch flag pole that was just over 5 foot tall. I threw a rubber stopper on the bottom, and I think I have found a great pole, it even has clips one of which is adjustable so i can click my compass on or a whistle, or most importantly my tarp when I set up at night. The little wooden ball on the top came in handy for bonkin my nephew on the head when he littered on the trail too lol (I bet I get tons of screams on that one but he laughed about it it's not like I wailed on him)

johnnybgood
05-15-2009, 21:04
Hey Phoenix , you and your " posse "enjoy your hike ?
You know seriously man , just buy poles from a poster here who might be trying to upgrade if your not sure if you gonna use them often . As I was telling you thats how I got mine and although they're not Komperdells or Lekis they serve their purpose for me just fine.
WalMart poles are also decent from what I've heard.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-15-2009, 21:34
Hey Phoenix , you and your " posse "enjoy your hike ?
You know seriously man , just buy poles from a poster here who might be trying to upgrade if your not sure if you gonna use them often . As I was telling you thats how I got mine and although they're not Komperdells or Lekis they serve their purpose for me just fine.
WalMart poles are also decent from what I've heard.I was wonderin when you would come down from the mountain lol. IDK about poles I am still on the fence, I like havin the one stick, but I think my next hike I might try borrowing some polls or just keep my eyes open at the thrift stores. When I was young I would see poles at every sally and goodwill I went in, now all I see are golf clubs lol.

Sky.King
05-15-2009, 22:52
I thought about gettin a length of oak and have it milled down a bit, but oak can break .. like the idea of the bamboo though .. umpteen million chinese can't be wrong :o

squirrel bait
05-15-2009, 23:23
Pacific Madrone. Neither frays or breaks.

Ol Mole
05-16-2009, 06:51
I adopted a stick to use on the trail, mainly to clear the spider webs that grow across the trail in the morning. I was tired of them hitting me in the face. I found a stick that is my height and has a branch point on the end of it about 3 inches long. That stick has been with me for 20 years now. The branch on the end of it allows me to "grab" with it. It helps me move branches out of my way and is a great help in fording streams. I like having one hand free, so the poles is not a option for me.

boarstone
05-16-2009, 08:15
It wasn't until I got lucky enough to go to Europe-Italy, Germany, Switzerland, that I even thought to use poles to hike with. I see everyone over there who was walking using sticks. Well after walking all a.m. around Pompeii and then climbing Mt. Vesuveus that afternoon, I found out why the guy at the trail head to the mountain was doling out loner sticks for the hike up! So I tried one and it helped. I have used poles ever since. Of course I'm not as young and my knees bother me so it works for me. Here in Maine it's a great moose deterent...:D

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-16-2009, 10:55
I adopted a stick to use on the trail, mainly to clear the spider webs that grow across the trail in the morning. I was tired of them hitting me in the face. I found a stick that is my height and has a branch point on the end of it about 3 inches long. That stick has been with me for 20 years now. The branch on the end of it allows me to "grab" with it. It helps me move branches out of my way and is a great help in fording streams. I like having one hand free, so the poles is not a option for me.That's somethin I love about the flag poel I got and use, it is just my height, no more webs to the face or branches

JAK
05-16-2009, 11:06
If you make a stick for a kid its fun to make it their exact height, then as they grow if they still have it they can see how much they have grown since that trip you made it on.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-16-2009, 12:17
I gave my nephews 48 inch dowels which they started to do up, but Jonathan is over 6 foot so I think he may want a larger one lol.

weary
05-17-2009, 10:32
I thought about gettin a length of oak and have it milled down a bit, but oak can break .. like the idea of the bamboo though .. umpteen million chinese can't be wrong :o
You'll be hard pressed to break an oak hiking pole. I've made them of oak, maple, and alder. None have ever broken. I walked the trail in 1993 with an alder pole that with a rubber crutch tip on the bottom weighed 9 ounces. I still have it, but I rarely use it for fear of breaking it. It stirs many memories of many trails. A natural sapling is stronger than a milled pole, and the natural curves and bends provide numerous hand grips.

I replaced it with another alder pole, also with a crutch tip, but I added a Komperdell, cork top, complete with strap and imbedded compass.

I like alder because it is both strong and light weight. Mine is about an inch in diameter at the top and 3/4 inches where the crutch tip attaches.

The compass has long since become useless. Deet on my hands have etched the plastic cover. I attached the Komperdell by drilling a hole in the top of the pole and imbedding with epoxy a quarter/20 hex head bolt, which also makes it into a mono-pod for my camera. I also attached an ATC brass medallion I had purchased at an ATC biennial conference. The whole thing weighs 11 ounces.

While climbing in Alaska a couple of years ago, a couple of people approached me to ask where they could buy a pole like it.

I use it for my daily walks in a wooded land trust preserve near my home on the Maine coast, and on numerous mountains over the years. Since it cost almost nothing, I use it to whack off dead branches that impede my way when bushwhacking.

Weary

BitBucket
05-17-2009, 10:47
Up and down hills, I use poles....flat/level trail I stow 'em and go...