PDA

View Full Version : Looking for section suggestions for June.

Cassie
05-07-2009, 21:26
Have about a month to hike starting in early June. No car. Would like to stay away from crowded commercial campgrounds when possible. Experienced long distance UL hiker in good condition, looking to do around 8-15 miles a day, no NOBO/SOBO preference. I have cold weather gear but not snowshoes.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:37
North out of Fontana is Beautiful, you will hit some groups when you get around clingmans dome, and again whe you get to max patch, but you should easilly be able to make fontana to Hot springs in 2 weeks you can hit an overnighter or more there and head north again. I don't know if this is hte best section but it is my favorite

ChinMusic
05-07-2009, 21:41
Nice section Phoenix, but Cassie is asking about the Colorado Trail.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-07-2009, 21:57
Whoops my bad, feel free to call me a retard lol

Mags
05-10-2009, 19:31
Have about a month to hike starting in early June. No car. Would like to stay away from crowded commercial campgrounds when possible. Experienced long distance UL hiker in good condition, looking to do around 8-15 miles a day, no NOBO/SOBO preference. I have cold weather gear but not snowshoes.

Early June in Colorado is going to be problematic along the CT/CDT.

Too much snow for hiking, not enough snow for consistent use of snowshoes.

In general, the high country does not really open up until later June. Some areas, such as the San Juans, even later.

Not that you can't go, it is just not much fun. :)

Cassie
05-10-2009, 19:34
Can you recommend a better section to do in June? I've finished most of the trail in NM and I need to get away from anything remotely resembling a desert.

Mags
05-10-2009, 19:49
Can you recommend a better section to do in June? I've finished most of the trail in NM and I need to get away from anything remotely resembling a desert.

In Colorado? There are not any options that come to mind for the CT (or the CDT). The Lost Creek Wilderness is always a good bet, but that is more suited for longish weekend than an LD hike. Shortly after LCW, (at least along the CT) you are going to hit the higher elevations of Colorado very quickly.

Sad fact of life, early June is going to have a LOT of snow for most of the Rockies.

Are you super gung-ho for a Rocky Mountain hike? Or would another area be OK? You ruled out desert, but the 300 mile long Benton MacKaye Trail is probably pretty cool in early June. Do that, then Colorado will be much more manageable IMO.

Cassie
05-10-2009, 20:43
Well... I guess it doesn't have to be the Rockies but I haven't been there, I've always wanted to hike there and I've done some of the CDT already. I've done the A.T. twice, the BMT, and the Pinhoti so I was looking for something away from the east coast this time.

I have a credit with SouthWest so it can be anywhere they fly where I can [reasonably] get to a trailhead but it does have to be during June. I like mountains and green trees and water and scenery. Just no deserts, please!

Do you have some other ideas, Mags? (I think we're discussing this on the CDT list, too!)

garlic08
05-10-2009, 22:35
Would you think about Northern California? Southwest flies to Reno, Sacramento, Oakland. The PCT north of I-80 might work, if it's not burning. Check out www.postholer.com (http://www.postholer.com) for snow levels.

Cassie
05-11-2009, 01:13
Phoo, gotta go buy another guide book.

Spirit Walker
05-11-2009, 10:20
Tahoe Rim Trail? (Easy access). Or start the PCt at Walker Pass and hike north through the Sierras. This is a fairly low snow year, so the Sierras are likely to open up by about June 10. Southern Oregon maybe?

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 23:31
Tahoe Rim Trail? (Easy access). Or start the PCt at Walker Pass and hike north through the Sierras. This is a fairly low snow year, so the Sierras are likely to open up by about June 10. Southern Oregon maybe?

Tahoe Rim? What is that like in end June early July.