PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Elevation Climbs?

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 07:34
I've been hiking here in Okinawa and the most extreme climbs I've encountered are only 600-900 foot vertical ascents that at times require ropes to make any progress. Mt. Taedun in South Korea was a 4,300 foot ascent, but with a somewhat gradual grade. What are the most challenging ascents I can expect to encounter on the A.T. Thanks fir any and all advice! :)

Wheeler
05-08-2009, 07:54
Your big climb is Mt K., and you won't need ropes or assistance. It's an 4000' climb but also the largest vertical climb of the whole AT. After that it's just endurance.The Norhern Mts. are steep,as they follow the fall line,and the southern mts. are graded and utilize switchbacks more often.I reccomend bringing Gummi-Bears.

fiddlehead
05-08-2009, 07:56
Personally, I use 1,000 feet in a mile as a guide for me to consider it a tough climb.

You will find a few of these on the AT. (I would guess about a dozen or two, mostly in the Whites and Maine)

I'm sure other's will chime in with specifics.

The steepest climb i have ever had was aprox 1400 meters in 1 1/2 kms on the Pyrenees High route near a bit east of Odessa Canyon on the Spanish side. (that equates to about 4,000 feet per mile) (it was pretty much straight up a cliff with many tiny little switchbacks to make it possible)

Steep climbs are the norm in northern New England, they didn't believe in switchbacks when they designed that trail.

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:00
Gonna be on the trail in 2010?

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:03
Your big climb is Mt K., and you won't need ropes or assistance. It's an 4000' climb but also the largest vertical climb of the whole AT. After that it's just endurance.The Norhern Mts. are steep,as they follow the fall line,and the southern mts. are graded and utilize switchbacks more often.I reccomend bringing Gummi-Bears.

Excuse my ignorance, although I like them, how will the gummi-bears help? :-? Thanks!

Wheeler
05-08-2009, 08:05
taste good,thats all

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:06
Personally, I use 1,000 feet in a mile as a guide for me to consider it a tough climb.

You will find a few of these on the AT. (I would guess about a dozen or two, mostly in the Whites and Maine)

I'm sure other's will chime in with specifics.

The steepest climb i have ever had was aprox 1400 meters in 1 1/2 kms on the Pyrenees High route near a bit east of Odessa Canyon on the Spanish side. (that equates to about 4,000 feet per mile) (it was pretty much straight up a cliff with many tiny little switchbacks to make it possible)

Steep climbs are the norm in northern New England, they didn't believe in switchbacks when they designed that trail.

Thanks for the info. Just trying to gauge/adjust on how I should progress on my ascent workout days.

Wheeler
05-08-2009, 08:06
I'm a smoker(I know thats bad....blah...blah

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:08
taste good,thats all

Now I'm tracking!

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:09
I'm a smoker(I know thats bad....blah...blah

You're a smoker and I'm a drinker! (Captain's) We all have our weaknesses!:)

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 08:16
In the south there are a few steep climbs, but in NH and ME it gets interesting. If you are long distance hiking or thru hiking, by the time you get to NH and ME you are in good enough shape that the climbs wont be as difficult for you if you were just sectioning through those sections. I have been curious lately as to how I would be in NH and ME in the shape I am in now with a couple of 2000-3000 ft climbs

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 08:17
You're a smoker and I'm a drinker! (Captain's) We all have our weaknesses!:)

Hiking without whiskey is just hiking with a heavy load

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:23
In the south there are a few steep climbs, but in NH and ME it gets interesting. If you are long distance hiking or thru hiking, by the time you get to NH and ME you are in good enough shape that the climbs wont be as difficult for you if you were just sectioning through those sections. I have been curious lately as to how I would be in NH and ME in the shape I am in now with a couple of 2000-3000 ft climbs

Why the curiosity? on performance? Have you been hiking lately?

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 08:25
Hiking without whiskey is just hiking with a heavy load

Well then, when I'm running low I hope to meet you on the trail in 2010!

Kerosene
05-08-2009, 09:16
Personally, I use 1,000 feet in a mile as a guide for me to consider it a tough climb.I've found that anything below 500'/mi is pretty easy, while I know I'll be breathing hard on vertical ascents of 1,000'/mi or greater, although if the steep part is only a quarter mile then it tends to be more fun than work.

The NOBO climb of South Kinsman in the southern Whites was probably the toughest long ascent I've done so far (but I haven't done Maine).

fiddlehead
05-08-2009, 09:46
The NOBO climb of South Kinsman in the southern Whites was probably the toughest long ascent I've done so far (but I haven't done Maine).

That one and NOBO Wildcat are probably the steepest.

Blissful
05-08-2009, 10:06
Yes, there are some steep stuff, but it's part of the trail and like Chaco says by the time you get there on a thru hike NOBO, you'll be in the best shape of your life. Honestly the trail is more mental than physical.

Now going SOBO and sectioning, another story...

World-Wide
05-08-2009, 10:11
Yes, there are some steep stuff, but it's part of the trail and like Chaco says by the time you get there on a thru hike NOBO, you'll be in the best shape of your life. Honestly the trail is more mental than physical.

Now going SOBO and sectioning, another story...
Where are you on the trail now? How far have you traveled this trip?

Blissful
05-08-2009, 19:13
Where are you on the trail now? How far have you traveled this trip?

I have completed the whole trail as did my teenage son in '07. Now doing sections in VA right now. Hope to go out again in 2011 SOBO, depending on work and my hubby's mood (and right now he isn't too thrilled). :)

RockDoc
05-09-2009, 00:24
More important than ft/mile perhaps is daily elevation change. A big number can really take it out of you, regardless of steepness of the trail sections.

I carried a GPS that tallied the ups and downs and gave me a total at the end of the day. From Springer to Hot Springs most days were 5000-10,000 ft change, generally half uphill and half downhill. A few exceptions were descending to NOC, which had 5000 up and 7000+ ft downhill that day, and descending to Davenport Gap, also 5000 up and 7000 ft plus down. These days were generally about 15-18 miles. I don't think any day was less than 5000 ft total change. This is comparable to the trail in Maine, although the steepness in Maine is generally much greater than in GA/NC, especially climbing in and out of anything called a "Notch".

World-Wide
05-09-2009, 03:22
More important than ft/mile perhaps is daily elevation change. A big number can really take it out of you, regardless of steepness of the trail sections.

I carried a GPS that tallied the ups and downs and gave me a total at the end of the day. From Springer to Hot Springs most days were 5000-10,000 ft change, generally half uphill and half downhill. A few exceptions were descending to NOC, which had 5000 up and 7000+ ft downhill that day, and descending to Davenport Gap, also 5000 up and 7000 ft plus down. These days were generally about 15-18 miles. I don't think any day was less than 5000 ft total change. This is comparable to the trail in Maine, although the steepness in Maine is generally much greater than in GA/NC, especially climbing in and out of anything called a "Notch".

Thanks for the info!

Pedaling Fool
05-09-2009, 10:32
Just a little off topic, but interesting. My gym just got one of these http://fitness.hownd.com/product-1057-nordictrack-9600-commercial-incline-trainer.html. It's elevation range is from (-) 5 degrees to (+) 50 % incline. Not as steep as the most extreme climbs, but pretty damn steep. I could feel it in my insteps, due to the angular displacement of my feet.