PDA

View Full Version : is the REI Quarter Dome worth $50 over the Half Dome

blantonator
05-08-2009, 10:52
I picked up the Half Dome(http://www.rei.com/product/728308) with my 20% off two months ago, now the Quarter dome is marked way down(http://www.rei.com/product/761893).

Is the <2lbs worth $50? There will be two of us camping so the weight can be split up a little bit. Are there any other advantages of the quarter dome?

Thanks!

bigcranky
05-08-2009, 13:27
Wait, you can go from 5 pounds 11 ounces to 4 pounds 2 ounces for only $50? That's a 25 ounce reduction, or $2 per ounce.

That is CHEAP. And it's a noticeable weight difference, at least on my back. Nice looking tent, too. If I were in your position I would sell or return the Half Dome and get the QD.

bigcranky
05-08-2009, 13:28
Let me add that the Quarter Dome appears to have much better protection over the open doors in a rainstorm. That makes a big difference in (1) leaving the fly open for ventilation in light rain, at least on one side, and (2) getting in and out in heavy rain without filling up your bathtub floor with water.

Bearpaw
05-08-2009, 14:14
Is the <2lbs worth $50? There will be two of us camping so the weight can be split up a little bit. Are there any other advantages of the quarter dome?

The QuarterDome T2 is not only lighter, it has more real room. If you look at the floor specs, they look comparable. But the Half Dome uses two diagonal poles and the sides of the tent slope inward. In the three pole design of the T2, you get almost true vertical sides so when you and your tentmate both sit up, you're not pushed into the sloping sides.

Is it worth it? That's up to you, but for me, yeah, it would be worth it.

skinewmexico
05-08-2009, 17:29
Way worth it, for the weight reduction, and the vertical sidewalls.

Rain Man
05-08-2009, 19:43
I had an old Half Dome and now have the T2. For me, the T2 is the tent of the two to go for, yes.

Rain:sunMan

BostonAndy
05-09-2009, 12:13
I got a T3 at the price of that T2 about a year or so ago and love it. Plenty of room for 2 people with gear inside. So the T2 is well worth that price. The T series tents from REI are great all around.

They are easy to set up and compact real well. My T3 when put into a compression sack is the size of a grapefruit. So the T2 should be even smaller.

So go for it. You wouldn't be disappointed.

EasternBox
05-09-2009, 12:43
The T2 is definitely worth it. Bought one a while back and everything about the tent works wonders for me. The fly vents are designed very well. A major plus, as was said before is how small you can actually pack this thing. Seriously worth the investment. And it's on sale right now.

skinewmexico
05-09-2009, 12:45
I guess I should admit that I have the T3 as my 2 person tent. The T2 is just a little smaller than I want for two people. I was really surprised at how much weight I could save on the T3 by not using stuff sacks, and using lighter stakes.

blantonator
05-10-2009, 22:48
thanks all, picked up my quarter dome today! It definetly packs smaller than the half dome.

SNAFU
10-01-2010, 19:25
does anyone have the weight specs on the old REI Quarter Dome? I can't find them anymore. . .