PDA

View Full Version : boarstone and other Mainers

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 12:29
I am wrestling with a game plan and can use your insight. Keep in mind that I am from the south and acclimated to warmer temps, including an ocean that is like bath water in the summer.

I got chased out of the wilderness on my last day last year due to "creeks were rising". From Kennebec north, I only have that 15 miles to complete from Monson to above Long Pond Stream. This includes 4 stream crossings (I have to cross Long Pond twice to start where I left off) .

Logistically, I wasn't going to get out on the trail for long distance hiking until July , BUT I'm going stir crazy.

I have found reasonable airfare to Portland. I am seriously considering flying to Maine for a couple days for this day hike. I can put up with the black flies and mosquitos for a day hike, so

----> when is the earliest that I should attempt this hike ? I have warm enough gear for walking, but I don't like being wet and cold. I need to complete this hike in a day.

I also need a shuttle from Monson. Boarstone, want to take a day hike??

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 13:09
the shuttle needed would be from monson to long pond I prbly can find someone in monson, but I'll need the full day for hiking

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2009, 17:42
Contact boarstone directly at: <[email protected]>
She can help you, and so can Shaws, Buddy Ward [email protected], and Lake Shore House with shuttling.
more info: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

modiyooch
05-08-2009, 19:02
I'm mainly wondering how deep the streams are right now, and if I can get a vehicle to bodfish farm. I'm going to contact boarstone directly to see if she is interesting in hiking with me. calling the people in monson in regards to conditions is a good idea. thanks for the responses

Shutterbug
05-08-2009, 20:21
I am wrestling with a game plan and can use your insight. Keep in mind that I am from the south and acclimated to warmer temps, including an ocean that is like bath water in the summer.

I got chased out of the wilderness on my last day last year due to "creeks were rising". From Kennebec north, I only have that 15 miles to complete from Monson to above Long Pond Stream. This includes 4 stream crossings (I have to cross Long Pond twice to start where I left off) .

Logistically, I wasn't going to get out on the trail for long distance hiking until July , BUT I'm going stir crazy.

I have found reasonable airfare to Portland. I am seriously considering flying to Maine for a couple days for this day hike. I can put up with the black flies and mosquitos for a day hike, so

----> when is the earliest that I should attempt this hike ? I have warm enough gear for walking, but I don't like being wet and cold. I need to complete this hike in a day.

I also need a shuttle from Monson. Boarstone, want to take a day hike??

I did that hike in August of 2006. As I recall, there is one fairly swift crossing, even in August. It was just before the Little Wilson Falls. In 2006, someone had stretched a rope across the river. You could hold on to the rope as you crossed.

If you are interested, photos of my hike of that section are here:

http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=45&page=1

Kirby
05-08-2009, 21:02
I did that hike in August of 2006. As I recall, there is one fairly swift crossing, even in August. It was just before the Little Wilson Falls. In 2006, someone had stretched a rope across the river. You could hold on to the rope as you crossed.

If you are interested, photos of my hike of that section are here:

http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=45&page=1

Don't use the above mentioned ropes, they can lead to a loss of balance.

Cookie used one south of Monson, wasn't expecting it to have so much slack, and fell right into the water.

Just be prepared for the slack in the rope.

modiyooch
05-09-2009, 09:15
so, what I glean from this is to carry a change of clothing. It's a day hike, and I believe all the crossings will be in the beginning of the hike. My number one backpacking fear is to be wet and cold. I respect this tremendously. when do sobo typically start? I thought I would look for some of their journals.

Saint Alfonzo
05-09-2009, 11:11
I know that the dirt road past the Boarstone Mt. parking lot is passable to the bodfish area. "bottom of the hill looking up at Barren Ledges"... I hope this info. helps... L.O.L.

boarstone
05-09-2009, 14:28
Moodihooch...call me...sending my cell PM to you...
Rain here all this week, rivers are full and swift. Streams are still pretty iffy thru that section...but I'd be willing to give it a try..between now and end of the month should be good....;)

boarstone
05-09-2009, 14:41
Unless the water goes down this week, Big Wilson will be the only one that will really bother and Long Pond stream maybe....Long Pond is deep and narrow, Big Wilson is wide and swift and it's the same width as the Pleasant River is out my back door and right now I wouldn't be sticking my tootsies in it!

modiyooch
05-09-2009, 20:01
yeah. yeah. I'm going. Flight is booked. I pray the water is "going, going, gone". We'll see. Thanks everyone!!

where's that dancing banana when you need him??

Just a Hiker
05-09-2009, 20:12
Hey Modiyooch,

If it will help, I will hike that stretch with you. I am not sure when you are heading this way.....I have to go to Boston the 15th of May for 3 days, but I am available any other time. I've done the 100 mile wilderness in May and the Long Pond Ford will be the hardest on that stretch of trail.....and the Little Wilson will be rolling along pretty hard as well. Let me know.

Just Jim

modiyooch
05-10-2009, 10:04
Thans Jim. I found a hiking partner for Monson. I will also try to do a day section in Andover if you are interested. I will have a rental car.