PDA

View Full Version : planning my section hike

Rocket_man
05-08-2009, 17:20
I'm planning on backpacking Springer to Nell Gap very soon. I'm an avid hiker and have back packed a little. but this is the first time I will be backpacking by myself. I’m a little uneasy about hiking it by my self, but I made a new years resolution to hike a section of the AT. I've been preparing for it and am ready. don’t want to let that uneasiness stop me now.

My main worry is I prefer not to pitch my tent/shelter where there are no other people. Just wont have a good night sleep.

So my question is, Is there any camp sites/shelters that are more popular, where i could expect others to be camping. I assume at this time of year there will be plenty of other backpackers-even on week days? Secondly, If I run across a group camping, Is OK to ask them if they minded if I pitched my tent within sight of their camp?

Blissful
05-08-2009, 19:08
Shouldn't have any problem being with fellow hikers at the different shelter areas in this section.

shoe
05-08-2009, 20:35
And if you're lucky you'll have 50 boy scouts at Hawk Mtn. Shelter.
Your mind may change pretty quickly :)

At this time of year I doubt you will have any issues with lonely shelters.

Have fun on your hike.

bigcranky
05-08-2009, 20:44
Camp at the shelters. There is plenty of room at all of them for tents. You will have access to water, a privy, a picnic table (for cooking), and other hikers.

You will be fine. Enjoy the hike.

codpilot
05-08-2009, 22:42
And you've picked a real nice walk - especially if you do the approach trail - that's a fun intro to GA mountains 8)

Sassafras all the way <chortle>

rainmaker
05-08-2009, 23:28
This time of the year you'll probably have the shelters areas almost to yourself along with a few coyotes and barred owls. Have a nice hike.

Lemni Skate
05-09-2009, 05:41
Most of the AT in May and April is pretty crowded come camping time. My problem last month in the same section was finding a spot at a shelter. They were CROWDED.

Lilred
05-09-2009, 20:38
And you've picked a real nice walk - especially if you do the approach trail - that's a fun intro to GA mountains 8)

Sassafras all the way <chortle>

Oh, laughing about Sassafras is just plain cruel.

A little advice about Sassafras, be sure to water up before going over it.

Have a great time, and welcome to Whiteblaze...:welcome

bigcranky
05-10-2009, 10:22
Oh, laughing about Sassafras is just plain cruel.

A little advice about Sassafras, be sure to water up before going over it.

Also, do Sassafras in the morning, don't save it for the end of the day. If you stay at Hawk Mountain Shelter, that stretch of 4 peaks will be the first thing you do in the morning.

Egads
05-10-2009, 10:29
Sassafras is overstated, no big deal.

You should be able to choose a site or shelter to be as social or isolated as you want.

bigcranky
05-10-2009, 10:45
Sassafras is overstated, no big deal.

Depends. When we did our nobo section, we did Sassafras at the beginning of day 3, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we expected. But on my sobo section this past March, I ran into a *lot* of thru-hikers who got their butts kicked. I think it depends on your conditioning, pack weight, expectations, etc.

Lilred
05-10-2009, 11:49
Depends. When we did our nobo section, we did Sassafras at the beginning of day 3, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we expected. But on my sobo section this past March, I ran into a *lot* of thru-hikers who got their butts kicked. I think it depends on your conditioning, pack weight, expectations, etc.

It also depends on weather.

The problem I ran into with Sassafras was unseasonably warm weather, no leaf cover, and no water.

You pass a lot of water up to Sassafras, and I got to expect it and didn't fill up when I should have. On top of that, it was the end of March and 80 degrees, no leaf cover. It was brutal.

bigcranky
05-10-2009, 12:44
You pass a lot of water up to Sassafras, and I got to expect it and didn't fill up when I should have. On top of that, it was the end of March and 80 degrees, no leaf cover. It was brutal.

Sassafras is also the first real climb northbound, especially if you skip the Approach Trail. That first day from Springer to Hawk Mountain is easy, and may give some hikers an unrealistic view of Georgia.