PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liner

Linesman
05-08-2009, 19:07
Anyone out there have a sleeping bag liner he or she likes? I'm looking for a mummy liner for this summer. It would mostly be for keeping my bag clean but a few extra degrees of warmth wouldnt hurt. The Sea to Summit Reactor seems like a popular liner but it's not silk and silk as a material is said to be more breathable, wicking moisture and all that.

Blissful
05-08-2009, 19:17
I use a Cocoon silk liner. Like it very much.

Ranc0r
05-08-2009, 19:59
I also use a cocoon silk liner with both my synthetic mummy and my quilt, and like it.

I am of the opinion that the more clothes you tend to sleep in, the less one will appreciate a liner - silk or otherwise. If you sleep warm, and tend to wear little clothing while sleeping, the liner makes a good light layer. Those who sleep in layers already will tend to get more benefit out of a better bag than the weight of a liner. Just my opinion, please develop your own :).

I also like laying the liner under me when I hammock camp - don't need an under quilt until it gets down near freezing.

YMMV, HYOH, MOUSE
Ranc0r

Linesman
05-08-2009, 21:26
Thanks guys, I'll get the cocoon one.

Linesman
05-08-2009, 21:30
One thing-this is the liner right: http://www.rei.com/product/708744
Am I mistaking something of does it say its 95 inches long, or almost 8 feet...

Blissful
05-08-2009, 21:49
This one is cheaper.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45914

The length never bothered me. Gave more room, actually.

Linesman
05-08-2009, 21:53
Is that the one you got? The measurement makes it seem awfully long.

Linesman
05-08-2009, 22:06
Oh oops I somehow missed the second part of your post. Ignore above post ^^

Tinker
05-09-2009, 00:58
My opinion is that you're better off with silk pajamas than a silk liner (or cotton, or whatever). A liner can only be used inside your bag and is dead weight the rest of the day. At least you can wear pajamas around camp. Better yet, carry a spare pair of long nylon pants and a shirt of your choice for wearing into town after your walking clothes have gotten beyond the realm of civilized acceptance.
Always think multipurpose.

Linesman
05-13-2009, 17:11
For anyone who looks this up in the future, I got my Cocoon silk liner yesterday and slept in it last night. I liked it a lot, it seemed to add noticeable warmth even though the material is extremely fine. I don't really understand the hood. It packs into its little stuff sack a bit larger than I expected. The liner is quite comfortable, even though it is a mummy I felt fine sleeping with it in my bed.

JTCruiser
05-13-2009, 17:46
The Sea to Summit Reactor ...

FWIW, I carried this item on about 85 miles of section hikes last summer, just in case there was a cool night and I wanted a few degrees of extra warmth. I liked it. It was probably good for 10 degrees or so extra warmth, was light and compact. My biggest gripe is that you have to crawl in it (it's a bag). I have since switched to hammocks, with underquilts and overquilts--no more bags for me.