PDA

View Full Version : Stuff Sack

Speakeasy
05-08-2009, 21:47
Hi Everybody - I'm planning a 2010 nobo hike and have pretty much covered the big ticket items. I feel pretty silly for asking but I'm not sure how many/what size stuff sacks I should get. Should I use one for a food bag? And should I also invest in some dry sacks as well. Any input would, as usual, be GREATLY appreciated...;)

Nrvana

Chaco Taco
05-08-2009, 22:11
Stuff sack is only necessary for clothing (which can also be used as a pillow, and a food bag. Walmart has a set of three you can buy together that are different sizes.

Egads
05-08-2009, 22:17
I prefer stuff sacks to keep me organized and dry bags to keep my stuff dry. Never worry about pack covers.

bigcranky
05-08-2009, 22:24
I use stuff sacks to organize my gear. One for sleeping bag and sleep clothes, one for food and kitchen gear, one for additional clothing as needed, and a small one for small items like my first aid kit and my headlamp.

Tinker
05-09-2009, 01:01
I use stuff sacks to organize my gear. One for sleeping bag and sleep clothes, one for food and kitchen gear, one for additional clothing as needed, and a small one for small items like my first aid kit and my headlamp.

I do the same. I also don't overstuff my stuff sacks so that they fit into my pack and can be compressed rather than being little "bowling balls" that leave too much wasted space inside the pack (and don't provide any support). For me, this is important since my pack doesn't have a frame.

Reid
05-09-2009, 01:03
Stuff sack is only necessary for clothing (which can also be used as a pillow, and a food bag. Walmart has a set of three you can buy together that are different sizes.

They are really the best deal out there if you ask me for stuff sacks not used for sleeping bags.

atraildreamer
05-09-2009, 13:15
Walmart has a set of three you can buy together that are different sizes.

They are also waterproof and double as drysacks.

Feral Bill
05-09-2009, 18:22
I like a larger sack for the sleeping bag. It's a pain having to force the bag in. As Tinker says, it fits better in the pack, too.

Blissful
05-09-2009, 20:16
If someone sews, make your own. Nice stuff sack kit on thruhiker.com and loads cheaper.

I have also used Wally World ones, but for my food bag, the Sea to Summit has fit the bill.

Blissful
05-09-2009, 20:17
They are also waterproof and double as drysacks.

They are NOT waterproof, at least the ones I got (the set of green, blue and orange)

BigCat
05-09-2009, 20:25
Walmart has a set of three you can buy together that are different sizes.

They are NOT waterproof, at least the ones I got (the set of green, blue and orange)

I disagree. I bought the same ones and hiked through twenty days of rain on the Bibbulmun Track. They saved my food, electronics and guide book when everything else was soaked. I've also tested them in a sink and they performed just as well as the much more expensive Sea to Summit bags. Two thumbs up from me.

Blissful
05-09-2009, 22:00
I disagree. I bought the same ones and hiked through twenty days of rain on the Bibbulmun Track. They saved my food, electronics and guide book when everything else was soaked. I've also tested them in a sink and they performed just as well as the much more expensive Sea to Summit bags. Two thumbs up from me.

I hiked with them over half the trail, hanging bear bags and the like (we used them as our food bags). They have some water resistancy but are not waterproof nor do they claim to be. Stuff inside was not drenched but certainly damp with water. No way would I trust my camera in one, but that's me.

River Runner
05-10-2009, 01:19
I like the Sea To Summit dry bags with the roll tops. I use one for my sleeping bag/quilt and insulated pants and jacket (depending on temps), a smaller one for other clothing (base layers, gloves, hat, etc.), and one for a food bag. I also have a very small and light cuben fiber stuff sack that toiletries, bandana, etc. go in.

First aid, survival stuff, and sundry items like my knife, photon light, sunscreen, etc. go in a quart size zip-lock that stays in an outer pack pocket, easy to reach. Another pint size zip-lock holds TP, and rides in the same outer pocket.

atraildreamer
05-12-2009, 23:26

Try folding the top over and locking the bag shut. I tossed one in a sink full of water and had no leakage problems.

Wags
05-17-2009, 00:17
i use the medium 1 as my water bag at camp. 2 nalgenes full of steripen'd water and it's still there in the AM. like any product, there's always issues in quality control. i really dig them though

harryfred
05-17-2009, 02:02
I use stuff sacks to keep things separate in my sack. clothing, kitchen, clean up. First aid and ready use I keep in a upper compartment. I find them mostly waterproof to make them better seam seal and spray with silicon water proofing. Use zip lock bags to insure water proofing. "Ziploc" makes bags 2 gal. and up I use one for my food I've had it a year and moved it between my day pack and long pack a bunch it holds up fine. pretty much every thing in my pack is in a zip lock type bag. As for size of stuff sack I just get large and fold up what i do not need. Sleeping bags need to be in a compression sack with straps.

Tennessee Viking
05-17-2009, 02:26
Hi Everybody - I'm planning a 2010 nobo hike and have pretty much covered the big ticket items. I feel pretty silly for asking but I'm not sure how many/what size stuff sacks I should get. Should I use one for a food bag? And should I also invest in some dry sacks as well. Any input would, as usual, be GREATLY appreciated...;)

Nrvana
Stuff sacks are good for hanging food, especially during bad weather. It all depends on how much food you will be carrying really. If you plan to carry can goods, be sure to get one very sturdy. If you are planning to carry 5 or more days of food at one time. Get the largest one you can get.

Then again, you can really squeeze them down. So you may just go ahead and get the largest sack.