PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza on Trail?

World-Wide
05-09-2009, 06:53
Cruise thru the streets of Chicago (where I'm from) and you can have the deep-dish of Uno's, the atmosphere of Durbin's and the authenic Itailian taste of Danny's! The military has taken me away from my pizza sanctuary, but my question to you all is what is the best pizza on trail? :-?

Blissful
05-09-2009, 14:28
Had superb take out at Mohican Trail center in NJ, best IMO. Delivery guy drove in from NY.

Rain Man
05-09-2009, 14:36
The camp-fire pizza I make myself on the trail?!

Rain:sunMan

CrumbSnatcher
05-09-2009, 18:11
The camp-fire pizza I make myself on the trail?!

Rain:sunMan

amen to that! i use a pocket rocket now,but i keep my whisperlite stove around to go with my bakepacker. it works great.

Just a Hiker
05-09-2009, 18:21
I think there's a several good places along the trail! The Pizza place that delivers to 501 Shelter in PA is good......the pizza place in Stratton, ME is pretty good as well.....the homemade pizzas at White House Landing are nice......but I guess for pure bang for your buck, the AYCE Pizza Hut buffet in Pearisburg, VA is really good as well. There's lots of good pizza along the trail.....it's hard to pick the best.

Egads
05-10-2009, 08:51
Not on the trail, but Sylva NC has a great pizza joint

MOWGLI
05-10-2009, 09:30
There are 12 states where you won't find "the best" pizza. That would be south of NJ and north of NY. Enuf said!

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 09:37
There are 12 states where you won't find "the best" pizza. That would be south of NJ and north of NY. Enuf said!

Looks like rough roads lay ahead! You're a thin crust guy aren't you! :-?

Egads
05-10-2009, 09:38

Shouldn't this post be in the "Trolling" thread?

ARambler
05-10-2009, 09:49
I met several sobos who agreed that Delaware Water Gap has the best pizza. Maybe NJ leaks for a mile or two.
I plan to do another 50 years of research on this subject.
Rambler

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 09:50

No harm, no foul! I had to look-up what "trolling" meant, but never meant to cause trouble! I was just curious where would be a good place to eat pizza along the trail. My bad!

MOWGLI
05-10-2009, 10:00

Trolling? No. Straight forward. Yes.

MOWGLI
05-10-2009, 10:00
Looks like rough roads lay ahead! You're a thin crust guy aren't you! :-?

You know it Amigo! Thin crust all the way!

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 10:05
You know it Amigo! Thin crust all the way!

My cousin Vinny would like to meet you for the thin crust comment! I'd like to see you on the trail so don't accept his invitation! :) LOL

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 12:05

there's a big difference between trolling and having a personality. :rolleyes:

btw: this post isn't trolling either...its a free lesson in not being such a stiff...:sun

Egads
05-10-2009, 12:58

Trolling? No. Straight forward. Yes.

there's a big difference between trolling and having a personality. :rolleyes:

btw: this post isn't trolling either...its a free lesson in not being such a stiff...:sun

It's unfortunate that it's impossible to read intentions put to text. I suppose that's why there are emoticons. My intentions were at humor, not to stir the pot and piss everyone off. I apologize to W-W and everyone on Whiteblaze for the misunderstanding . Now Saimyoji, it's your turn.

Jim Adams
05-10-2009, 13:51
Gorham,NH

geek

sly dog
05-10-2009, 14:04
If anyone ever makes it to this neck of the woods, Old Forge pizza is the best you can find. We're over 45 minutes from the trail but Old Forge style pizza(fried pizza) is world known and damn good.

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 15:22
Now Saimyoji, it's your turn.

my turn for what?

ChinMusic
05-10-2009, 15:27
I would imagine that just about ANY pizza tastes fantastic once hiker hunger strikes.

MOWGLI
05-10-2009, 18:28
If anyone ever makes it to this neck of the woods, Old Forge pizza is the best you can find. We're over 45 minutes from the trail but Old Forge style pizza(fried pizza) is world known and damn good.

Fried pizza? Is that like Chicken Fried Steak? What the heck is Chicken Fried Steak anyway? :confused:

Hooch
05-10-2009, 18:35
What the heck is Chicken Fried Steak anyway? :confused:Chicken Fried Steak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_steak). Good stuff, with a very basic, easy recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-fried-steak-recipe/index.html). You should really get on the ball if you're gonna be a halfway decent transplanted yankee. :rolleyes::D

Pokey2006
05-10-2009, 20:38

Right on. I remember DECENT pizza in NY somewhere. There are several delis near the trail where you can get OK slices and subs. Had some really bad pizza in the south, though. Who puts pickled peppers (banana peppers) on pizza??? That's just so wrong. But I'm also spoiled by Boston pizza. The rest of y'all might like it just fine.

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 21:59
It's unfortunate that it's impossible to read intentions put to text. I suppose that's why there are emoticons. My intentions were at humor, not to stir the pot and piss everyone off. I apologize to W-W and everyone on Whiteblaze for the misunderstanding . Now Saimyoji, it's your turn.

No offense taken! :) Besides, I've got thick skin!

sly dog
05-10-2009, 22:47
Fried pizza? Is that like Chicken Fried Steak? What the heck is Chicken Fried Steak anyway? :confused:

Google it, trust me it is awsome, well worth the drive IMO.

Tennessee Viking
05-10-2009, 22:56
I always loved Pizza Plus in Erwin & Hampton, TN and Damascus VA. And I heard the new Quincys in Damascus is also good.

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 22:57
Google it, trust me it is awsome, well worth the drive IMO.

Googled it and it actually looked pretty good! I'm not a pizza snob, so if I ever get the opportunity I'll take it! :) Who would've thought? :-?

Pokey2006
05-10-2009, 23:01
That Old Forge pizza looks a lot like what you'd get at the beach joints on the coast of Mass/NH. The crust is almost crispy, and the sauce is very sweet. It's not very good, compared with "regular" pizza. But you'd still order a slice or two every time you went to the beach. You just wouldn't be able to help yourself.

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 23:04
That Old Forge pizza looks a lot like what you'd get at the beach joints on the coast of Mass/NH. The crust is almost crispy, and the sauce is very sweet. It's not very good, compared with "regular" pizza. But you'd still order a slice or two every time you went to the beach. You just wouldn't be able to help yourself.

Looking forward to it! :D

Mags
05-10-2009, 23:32
The worst pizza I ever had in my life was in Millinocket...after I had just done the trail no less.

Cardboard crust, ketchup like sauce....blech!

The best pizza on the trail? Why take the Appalachian Trail train stop into New York City, (http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/23/nyregion/for-hikers-the-train-to-the-trail.html) and get yourself to Grimaldi's (http://www.grimaldis.com/brooklyn.htm). No credit card. Cash only. Coal fired oven. They can trace their pizza lineage from Naples...where pizza is made the right way: THIN CRUST. ;) When I did the NYC Marathon, my NYC friends made sure I stopped here before the race...

(Or...if you are really lucky, you'll have this type of pizza (http://almostitalian.com/cudduruni/) that most don't seem to know about. Good stuff..and would make a killer trail lunch)

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 23:39
The worst pizza I ever had in my life was in Millinocket...after I had just done the trail no less.

Cardboard crust, ketchup like sauce....blech!

The best pizza on the trail? Why take the Appalachian Trail train stop into New York City, (http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/23/nyregion/for-hikers-the-train-to-the-trail.html) and get yourself to Grimaldi's (http://www.grimaldis.com/brooklyn.htm). No credit card. Cash only. Coal fired oven. They can trace their pizza lineage from Naples...where pizza is made the right way: THIN CRUST. ;) When I did the NYC Marathon, my NYC friends made sure I stopped here before the race...

(Or...if you are really lucky, you'll have this type of pizza (http://almostitalian.com/cudduruni/) that most don't seem to know about. Good stuff..and would make a killer trail lunch)

Great info! Believe I saw something on the "FoodTV" network about Grimaldi's. Just after they were praising "Deep-Dish!" ;) LOL

TD55
05-11-2009, 00:32
The best pizza is the one you get after eating oatmeal and raman for 4 days.

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 00:41
The best pizza is the one you get after eating oatmeal and raman for 4 days.

There are no holes in that alibi.....:)

Bronk
05-11-2009, 04:45
Googled it and it actually looked pretty good! I'm not a pizza snob, so if I ever get the opportunity I'll take it! :) Who would've thought? :-?

Googling fried pizza it appears there are different types...some are battered and deep fried pizza slices and some are fried whole pizzas and some are more like a deep fried calzone from what they describe.

It appears the most common method of making this is to first make a pizza and let it cool down, then batter it (or an individual slice) and fry it. Might be a good way to use leftover pizza...

Here's a video of someone deep frying battered slices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEjSI6JmWY

celt
05-11-2009, 08:12
Elvios Pizza 165 Main St Lincoln New Hampshire. Originally owned by a family from The Bronx I believe. In the same plaza as Lahouts Summit Shop.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Exit+34A&amp;daddr=Connector +Rd+to:Main+St%2FNH-112&amp;geocode=FegJoQIdEjC6-w%3BFdULoAIduTW6-w%3BFQUVoAIds3K6-w&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=cc&amp;via=1&amp;dirflg=w&amp;sll=44.072294,-71.666908&amp;sspn=0.136652,0.363922&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=44 .072294,-71.666908&amp;spn=0.136652,0.363922&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Exit+34A&amp;daddr=Connect or+Rd+to:Main+St%2FNH-112&amp;geocode=FegJoQIdEjC6-w%3BFdULoAIduTW6-w%3BFQUVoAIds3K6-w&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=cc&amp;via=1&amp;dirflg=w&amp;sll=44.072294,-71.666908&amp;sspn=0.136652,0.363922&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=44 .072294,-71.666908&amp;spn=0.136652,0.363922" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

celt
05-11-2009, 08:14
Elvios:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Exit+34A&daddr=Connector+Rd+to:Main+St%2FNH-112&geocode=FegJoQIdEjC6-w%3BFdULoAIduTW6-w%3BFQUVoAIds3K6-w&hl=en&mra=cc&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=44.072294,-71.666908&sspn=0.136652,0.363922&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12

vamelungeon
05-11-2009, 08:54
I've never been to Italy, but my father was there during WWII and my son was in Italy a couple of years ago when he was on a "float" in the Marines. Son tells me that pizza in Italy isn't as good as pizza in the US...I was surprised, but his friends told me the same thing.

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 09:00
I've never been to Italy, but my father was there during WWII and my son was in Italy a couple of years ago when he was on a "float" in the Marines. Son tells me that pizza in Italy isn't as good as pizza in the US...I was surprised, but his friends told me the same thing.

I stopped in Naples on my way to Saudi Arabia in 1997 and the only thing I wanted, besides a beer:), was to try some authenic Italian pizza. Wasn't disappointed, but there was definitely a difference. "Keep it simple stupid" seemed to be the theme. A thin baked crust, modest amount of sauce and a scarce amount of toppings. It was good, but not what I expected! But who's to say the pizza I grew up on in Chicago is the "real thing?" :D

max patch
05-11-2009, 09:20
I've had Old Forge on vacation and I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

The pizza is rectangular instead of round. Big deal.

They call it a "tray" and not a "pie".

They use a blend of different cheeses; but no mozzarella.

And the "fried" part of it isn't like the deep fried pizza or snickers bars you get at a fair. Oil is placed on the cooking pan and it makes the crust kind of fried.

Thats what I remember from my one time trying it.

max patch
05-11-2009, 09:22
Chicago doesn't make pizza. They make casseroles.

NY has the best pizza. And bagels.

Best pizza I had on the trail was in Manchester Center. Probably because I was hungry. Pizza was probably mediocure in reality.

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 09:27
Chicago doesn't make pizza. They make casseroles.

Best pizza I had on the trail was in Manchester Center. Probably because I was hungry. Pizza was probably mediocure in reality.

I've had pizza in New York and really enjoyed it. It just depends what I'm in the mood for, thin crust or deepdish. Just greatful that I've been lucky enough to have them both! :)

everyman
05-11-2009, 09:34
If you had good pizza in NY it was probably just off the trail near route 52 - DANNY'S PIZZA - right next to great deli (Mountain Top Deli). Stopping here after hike from RPH shelter in the morning does the stomach good...and resupplies amply for dinner as well.

sly dog
05-11-2009, 10:04
[quote=max patch;836197]I've had Old Forge on vacation and I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

It all depends where you had it from too. The best red style is Revellos and has a sweet onion type sauce and the best white I'd say is Arcaro & Genell's. Some say theirs is old forge style but these two have been doing it for a looong time and they are the favorites of the locals so if you are in the area, hit one of these two. As far as being fried, only the bottom of the crust is fried like mentioned, I think it is in a little oil in the pan so it's not like the whole pizza is fried. I'm not saying this cuz I live in the area but I love pizza so I get it where ever I go and nothing compares IMO.Although when I was in Gatlinburg I had pizza at the Smoky Mtn. Beer works and it is pretty good too.

Kanati
05-11-2009, 17:43
When you are really hungry for something, anything but ramen noodles or M & C, it doesn't take a great pizza for it to seem that way. But I got a really good one in Stormville, NY last July. Don't remember the name but when you come to the highway, turn right, walk about .3 miles over the hill and the Pizzera is on the right. I had an large, 18" super supreme which I believe must have weighed at least 3 pounds. I was able to eat about 2/3 of it and had the remainder the next day for lunch.

Then I had another great one, I'm serious, in Salisbury, CT. This one would have been great even if I hadn't been hungry. Once again I can't remember the name of the pizzera but it has a coin laundry in back of it.

All this talk about food is making me hungry !!!

Happy hiking. :sun

Mags
05-11-2009, 18:43
right next to great deli (Mountain Top Deli). Stopping here after hike from RPH shelter in the morning does the stomach good...and resupplies amply for dinner as well.

I went there back in the dark ages of 1998.

I remember it well because there was this New York Italian who called himself "Uncle Nick". He heard me speak (my Rhody accent was a LOT stronger then), looked at me and asked me my last name. I told him ...

He said "I thought so!" The flood gates opened.

He said to make sure I tried the ziti, the eggplant, the chix cutlets, sausage and peppers, etc. When one of my hiker buddies said he doesn't care for ziti, he was incredulous. He said in that wonderful New York Italian accent "Waddya mean you don't like ziti ?!?!"

When I ordered some capicola, provolone cheese, marinated red roasted peppers and onions all in a fresh, crusty roll (to go), I achieved nirvana. I think "Uncle Nick" was quite happy with my food order....

Good stuff.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2122&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69
I musta looked like a paisan. :)

World-Wide
05-11-2009, 18:54

I remember it well because there was this New York Italian who called himself "Uncle Nick". He heard me speak (my Rhody accent was a LOT stronger then), looked at me and asked me my last name. I told him ...

He said to make sure I tried the ziti, the eggplant, the chix cutlets, sausage and peppers, etc. When one of my hiker buddies said he doesn't care for ziti, he was incredulous. He said in that wonderful New York Italian accent "Waddya mean you don't like ziti ?!?!"

When I ordered some capicola, provolone cheese, marinated red roasted peppers and onions all in a fresh, crusty roll (to go), I achieved nirvana. I think "Uncle Nick" was quite happy with my food order....

Good stuff.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2122&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69
I musta looked like a paisan. :)

Sounds like a stop on the trail to me! :D

everyman
05-11-2009, 21:43
Indeed - you are standing in front of the Mountain Top Deli that I mentioned above - Danny's Pizza is to the left. Both are great sources of good food. Nick has moved on and sold the place to nice couple Jim and Carol who I constantly remind to be extra nice to hikers as I section hike in the area.

rlharris
05-12-2009, 16:05
At the risk of being accused of hijacking the thread: the little known fact about bagels gleaned from bagel connoisseurs is that the best ones are found in Montreal, not New York. :D Kinda far off the trail, however.

TD55
05-12-2009, 16:16
At the risk of being accused of hijacking the thread: the little known fact about bagels gleaned from bagel connoisseurs is that the best ones are found in Montreal, not New York. :D Kinda far off the trail, however.
connoisseurs....ain't that french? Montreal.....ain't that french? Propaganda I tell you!!! Pure Propaganda!!!

JAK
05-12-2009, 16:22
I love American pizza. I've heard of afew American's that prefer Canadian pizza but I think they were just being nice. My favourite is plain old pepperoni pizza. It's cheaper. It's better. It goes awesomer with beer. One of the few times I prefer an American style lager over a microbrewed ale.

RockDoc
05-12-2009, 17:15
I thought the Riverside at the NOC had outstanding pizza.
On the other end, the gas station in Monson is a good place to get pizza!

JAK
05-12-2009, 17:19
Closest place from here is Downeast Pizza in Calais Maine. Excellent.

LaurieAnn
05-12-2009, 17:49
Cruise thru the streets of Chicago (where I'm from) and you can have the deep-dish of Uno's, the atmosphere of Durbin's and the authenic Itailian taste of Danny's! The military has taken me away from my pizza sanctuary, but my question to you all is what is the best pizza on trail? :-?

The kind I make for my family on the trail... a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.gjstudios.com/laurie/pizza.jpg

max patch
05-12-2009, 18:02
The kind I make for my family on the trail... a picture is worth a thousand words...

Do you deliver?

LaurieAnn
05-12-2009, 18:07
no... but if you happen to be hiking with me we do a pizza night and I make a few of these with different toppings and share with the group

World-Wide
05-12-2009, 18:32

Making me hungry! :D

Mags
05-12-2009, 21:08

Anthony Bourdain did a special in Montreal. The locals tried convincing him that Montreal bagels are better. No dice! Of course, he is a New Yorker through and through... :)

Gotta say, the NYC bagels beat the CO ones for sure!

Now, give me some of the poutine! Great winter food... Mmmm (Polite translation? "Messy cheese"..not so polite translation is apparently sh** cheese..or so said my friend's French-Canadian dad..)

World-Wide
05-12-2009, 21:13
Anthony Bourdain did a special in Montreal. The locals tried convincing him that Montreal bagels are better. No dice! Of course, he is a New Yorker through and through... :)

Now, give me some of the poutine! Great winter food... Mmmm (Polite translation? "Messy cheese"..not so polite translation is apparently sh** cheese..or so said my friend's French-Canadian dad..)

Anthony Bourdain rocks! I retire from the Air Force this coming February after 20 years and need a follow-up job that allows me to eat exotic foods, DRINK and travel. Hey, almost sounds like my Air Force career! :D

rlharris
05-12-2009, 21:17
I passed this lead onto some ex-New Yorkers on the North Country Weather Net tonight. These flatlanders are always bemoaning the lack of good New York pizza in the White Mountains. As soon as I get a report back from our erstwhile pizza restaurant critics I'll post their reviews. :p

Elvios Pizza 165 Main St Lincoln New Hampshire. Originally owned by a family from The Bronx I believe. In the same plaza as Lahouts Summit Shop.

Mags
05-12-2009, 21:20
Oil is placed on the cooking pan and it makes the crust kind of fried.

I just noticed this line!

This type of pizza is very similar to what is also known as "bakery pizza", "tomato pie" or "pizza strips". I referenced it earlier at this link:
http://almostitalian.com/cudduruni/

It is VERY authentic. My great-grandma (from Naples) made this type of pizza at home. I have a very distant memory eating it before she passed on. You can get it at many places throughout Rhode Island and the East Coast. Pizza places usually DO NOT sell it. It is pretty much a bakery only item.

I can't speak for the pizza at the OLD FORGE place, but I do know that it is typically served at room temp only, is inexpensive and makes a great lunch. I don't know how many "strips" I had at the beach growing up.

How authentic is it? Here's what I wrote at the above link:

(Along with the editor's response)

Paul Magnanti Says:

A very similar version of this pizza was found in Rhode Island growing up. Not just at the Palmeiri bakery as mentioned previously, but throughout many places in the state. We simply called them “pizza strips”. No birthday party or first communion was complete without a tray of pizza strips adorning the table. Usually next to the “wandis”. (Italian-American for the Neopalitan guanti I believe) In 2005, I visited Italy and met some distant cousins. They were generous beyond what I could have expected and they even invited me to a birthday party in Rome. In the local park, there was a tray of…pizza strips! It was a culinary connection to my roots found at a modest park in the Roman suburbs. It could have been a child’s birthday party in Rhode Island; instead it was in Rome. The cultural echoes continue through the food.

Skip (http://skiplombardi.org/) Says:
March 29th, 2009 at 12:01 pm (http://almostitalian.com/cudduruni/#comment-342) Ciao, Paul–
This is just the sort of culinary ping-pong we like to play. Thank you very much for your expansion on the Providence versions of cudduruni and what you also observed in Rome. Your note on “pizza strips” as standard party food is most welcome, because we’re trying to paint the bigger picture of Italo-American culinary culture here on Almost Italian dot com.
We’re gratified that you, along with many of our readers, clearly understand that it’s not just about the recipes, it’s also about who made what, as well as when, for whom, and why.
You’re right about the Italian word for gloves, “guanti” being the orgin of “wandi.” In New Britain, Connecticut, the Italians and Poles both turned out virtually identical strips of airy fried dough (”krusczyki” in Polish). The strips were often tied in loose knots or pinched to be bow-ties and then dusted with confectioner’s sugar after frying.
Both Italian and Polish communities settled on the the apt and neutral name, “Angel Wings.”

The Neapolitan style of thin-crust is still the most well known. But the simple bakery style of pizza is definitely authentic as well. What I ate growing up was nearly identical to what I had in the Roman suburbs..and that was from a local bakery, too.

I love food way too much. :)

RE: BOURDAIN

Oh yeah..he does indeed rock. Awesome writer. He's a very opinionated, blunt, passionate guy from the Northeast. I like him for some reason... ;)

LaurieAnn
05-13-2009, 19:42
oh ya... I'm a big fan of Bourdain as well... ever read his blog? He's a riot.

Montreal style bagels are the best in Canada but nothing beats a NY bagel

max patch
05-13-2009, 20:33

Inasmuch as you're from Canada, I think that ends the debate.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-13-2009, 20:39
how about this http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k287/phoenixdadeadhead/019-1.jpg

World-Wide
05-13-2009, 21:00
oh ya... I'm a big fan of Bourdain as well... ever read his blog? He's a riot.

Never had a bagel from either location. Getting hungry though! :)

MOWGLI
05-13-2009, 21:19
how about this http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k287/phoenixdadeadhead/019-1.jpg

This is a thread about pizza. What the heck is that? :confused:

Pokey2006
05-13-2009, 21:58
Dude, that's just nasty! And I love Cheez-Its. But, ewwww.

World-Wide
05-14-2009, 07:46

The pizza joint that dared to serve that version of pizza on the South-Side Chicago would be burned down in minutes! :eek: But on trail, it just might be tasty! :D

traveling2u
05-14-2009, 08:30
Happy Herb Pizza from Cambodia... :sun

celt
05-15-2009, 11:45
I passed this lead onto some ex-New Yorkers on the North Country Weather Net tonight. These flatlanders are always bemoaning the lack of good New York pizza in the White Mountains. As soon as I get a report back from our erstwhile pizza restaurant critics I'll post their reviews. :p

I'd be interested in an ex-New Yorkers opinions on Elivios. Their pizza boxes actually say "best pizza north of the Bronx". I wonder how far from authentic they've strayed over the years?

Its still good, from-scratch pizza no matter what.

Ramble~On
05-15-2009, 12:01
Not on the trail, but Sylva NC has a great pizza joint

I live in Sylva and am pretty sure that the place you're talking about is no longer...

Not on trail but easy to get to is Da Vinci's in Abington,VA. Just under the I81 bridge. Wood fired brick oven pizza.

The little place in Gatlinburg near the Elks Lodge is pretty good.

After a few days on the trail nasty gas station pizza is pretty damn good.

After the Smokies a microwaved Standing Bear Farm pizza is a nice way to stoke the furnace for the trip over Snowbird.

BUT.......The best Pizza on the Trail..is the one you make yourself in a Bakepacker! Agreed with those who mentioned it. I am not partial to Adventure Foods Pizza though.. celery on pizza just ain't my thing!

Alligator
05-15-2009, 12:03

Good stuff.

I musta looked like a paisan. :)Haha I ate a whole pizza there. I wanted to see if I could eat like a thruhiker. It was good.

I ate at the Pizza place in Boiling Springs but I had pasta. Food was good.

Tried to get pizza in HF but they weren't open yet and I couldn't wait.

Ate at the pizza place that was in Damascus but I think that closed? Didn't have pizza there either though I had a calzone.

There are 12 states where you won't find "the best" pizza. That would be south of NJ and north of NY. Enuf said!'tis true.

Analogman
05-15-2009, 12:09
Had superb take out at Mohican Trail center in NJ, best IMO. Delivery guy drove in from NY.

Short of traveling to Naples, Italy, you probably can't get a better pizza than New Jersey.

TD55
05-15-2009, 12:43
Pizza desperation can be a serious mental condition. Be careful and learn to recognize the sypmtoms.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-15-2009, 13:56
The pizza joint that dared to serve that version of pizza on the South-Side Chicago would be burned down in minutes! :eek: But on trail, it just might be tasty! :D
wasn't awful but nest time we will remember the cheese lol

Jack Tarlin
05-15-2009, 14:06
In recent years, hikers have been pretty happy with the pizza found at Ramunto's Brick and Brew in Hanover NH, next to the public library.

And did I mention that the first slice for thru-hikers is free?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-15-2009, 15:10
Has no1 else tried the pizza in a bag? I forget the brand but they have it all over. it comes with 3 crusts, and a bag of sauce. Weighs around a pound (14 ounces I think), would be better with cheese and not cheesits lol

sasquatch2014
05-16-2009, 08:10
You should Try Mama's Pizza in Pawling NY. I have posted their Menu at the AT train stop and they will deliver out as far as Native Landscape and the Dover Oak on CR 20 just down the hill from Telephone Pioneer Shelter. If you are staying in Pawling they will also deliver out to Murrow Park where hikers are allowed to stay. I'll try to get a menu up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter log as well.

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 08:27
I have to thank you all.....your post's are awesome! There are a few places that I'm really looking forward too, but realize when you're hungry the gas-station microwave "Red Barron" will do in a pinch!

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 09:19
I have to thank you all.....your post's are awesome! There are a few places that I'm really looking forward too, but realize when you're hungry the gas-station microwave "Red Barron" will do in a pinch!

Heading back home to Chicago in about two weeks. I'll be eating Connie's deep-dish before I know it!! http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ToyLWv-yBXY-EM::farm2.static.flickr.com/1254/1471256408_781147d1bb.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1254/1471256408_781147d1bb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshb/1471256408/&h=331&w=500&sz=188&tbnid=ToyLWv-yBXY-EM::&tbnh=86&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchicago%2Bdeep%2Bdish%2Bpictures&usg=__xyPpNx9LvbnacLikJMAXFkIpUOo=&ei=kLsOSqSDGJCBkQX70NiYBA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image) Maybe I'll save you a piece!!:D

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2009, 15:00

Second that smooth motion.

Bearpaw
05-16-2009, 16:57
Not making any claims to comparing with New Yawk pizza, which really is pretty darned good, but on the AT corridor, the Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg makes a great "Brewmaster" pizza, with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

In Damascus, Quincy's had great pizza 10 years ago. I'm not sure about the new Quincy's, but they would be worth a try.

sly dog
05-16-2009, 18:44
Not making any claims to comparing with New Yawk pizza, which really is pretty darned good, but on the AT corridor, the Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg makes a great "Brewmaster" pizza, with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Their white pizza is dam good too

World-Wide
05-16-2009, 22:35
Their white pizza is dam good too

What's on the white pizza?? :-?

Nearly Normal
05-17-2009, 02:00
enough garlic to kill ya.

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 03:09
enough garlic to kill ya.

Sweet! :D Tick's beware!

sasquatch2014
05-17-2009, 07:51
Ok now that the old Deep Dish thing has been thrown out there I will put this forward. Many a hiker has taken the train from my fair town into the city I encourage you to take the train and then the Subway down to Little Italy and get some pizza from a place called Lombardi's it's at 32 Spring St.

Another great pie in the City is at Patsy's but I am talking about the one up in East Harlem 118th and 1st ave. Not the best neighborhood to be walking around in but awesome pizza. Cooked in a Coal fired oven.

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 09:04
Ok now that the old Deep Dish thing has been thrown out there I will put this forward. Many a hiker has taken the train from my fair town into the city I encourage you to take the train and then the Subway down to Little Italy and get some pizza from a place called Lombardi's it's at 32 Spring St.

Another great pie in the City is at Patsy's but I am talking about the one up in East Harlem 118th and 1st ave. Not the best neighborhood to be walking around in but awesome pizza. Cooked in a Coal fired oven.

If its not in the same league as caprine-green, Chicago I just might venture in? :-?

LaurieAnn
05-17-2009, 09:54
http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/laurie/pizza.jpg

Here is another pizza made in my trail oven... this one was early on in a trip probaby first or second night. I used roasted red pepper hummus as the sauce and grilled chicken.

sorry if I made anyone hungry

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 10:20
http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/laurie/pizza.jpg

Here is another pizza made in my trail oven... this one was early on in a trip probaby first or second night. I used roasted red pepper hummus as the sauce and grilled chicken.

sorry if I made anyone hungry

Don't have to hike a hard day to look forward to that! :D Hard to believe that's a trail-made pizza! Hope to bump into you on pizza night when I hit the trail in 2010! :)

LaurieAnn
05-17-2009, 10:25
I make the pizza dough in a ziploc baggie and then keep it inside my coat to let it rise unless the day is warm enough. I use a quick yeast so rising time is 5 to 10 minutes. I generally bake in an outback oven but if we are in an area that permits a campfire I will bake it on a backpacking grill (the GSI grid) with a pot inverted over the top. Sometimes we make calzones as well. With tow of us splitting gear weight it affords a few kitchen luxuries like the oven.

World-Wide
05-17-2009, 10:33
I make the pizza dough in a ziploc baggie and then keep it inside my coat to let it rise unless the day is warm enough. I use a quick yeast so rising time is 5 to 10 minutes. I generally bake in an outback oven but if we are in an area that permits a campfire I will bake it on a backpacking grill (the GSI grid) with a pot inverted over the top. Sometimes we make calzones as well. With tow of us splitting gear weight it affords a few kitchen luxuries like the oven.

I've been so focused on the aspects of hiking preparation (getting in the miles, hiking with a heavier pack than anticipated on trail etc...) that I've overlooked the finer things like gourmet cooking! :-?

LaurieAnn
05-17-2009, 14:47
I wouldn't exactly call it gourmet... but I do tend to eat fairly nice meals on the trail. Part and parcel because of my career and because I have a very spoiled and picky spouse. 95% of my food requires work at home and only boiling water/reheating at camp but at least once on a 10 day outing I will make something a little more involved. Pizza is pretty easy though.

I guess in some ways I am more about the journey than the destination. It's a hike your own hike type of thing I suppose. We lean to the lightweight but not UL side of things with gear too.