PDA

View Full Version : Proper Backpack Fit

Summit
05-09-2009, 08:43
I just ran across this link:

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/10/17/whats-my-torso-size.html

The founder of Gregory Backpacks conducts an excellent demonstration of how to properly buy and fit a backpack. Most retail stores will sell you a S,M,L pack based on your height, or waist size alone . . . result . . . a backpack that does not necessarily fit properly.

Since a backpack represents a significant part of your gear investment, we should expect the backpack manufacturer and their representative retailer to sell us a backpack that actually fits. Hint: If you cannot, as an example, buy a medium frame with a large waist belt, but are limited to a medium waist belt on a medium frame pack (i.e. parts are either not interchangeable or mixing is not allowed), look elsewhere for another brand or retailer.

Chaco Taco
05-09-2009, 09:09
I just ran across this link:

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/10/17/whats-my-torso-size.html

The founder of Gregory Backpacks conducts an excellent demonstration of how to properly buy and fit a backpack. Most retail stores will sell you a S,M,L pack based on your height, or waist size alone . . . result . . . a backpack that does not necessarily fit properly.

Since a backpack represents a significant part of your gear investment, we should expect the backpack manufacturer and their representative retailer to sell us a backpack that actually fits. Hint: If you cannot, as an example, buy a medium frame with a large waist belt, but are limited to a medium waist belt on a medium frame pack (i.e. parts are either not interchangeable or mixing is not allowed), look elsewhere for another brand or retailer.

Thats what i love about my Granite Gear pack. I was fitted for it but you can adjust the shoulder straps and things are interchangable. It seems to me that for the first time, I actually have a pack that fits me. I have a long torso and broad shoulders so it has been hard for me to find one that fits properly. Did a thru with a Golite. It fit ok but I always had soreness by days end, usually right at 12 miles.

Summit
05-09-2009, 09:37
I should refine my statement about 'parts should be interchangeable' to include "and/or adjustable." Most waist belt positions are not adjustable but a few are. Here's another good link:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/gregory_fit.cfm

volks-man
05-09-2009, 17:58
the video is good, but there is still the preference side of the coin to consider. i adjust my ex-framed pack for waist fit, torso legnth, and even shoulder width on the trail if needed. slowly i am getting to where it feels best on the trail (i might even have it right this time). :cool:

i can tell you for a fact that i couldn't have those straps that low on my shoulders (in vid) for ten seconds.

that vid looks like a good starting point, but i wouldn't call it the 'end all be all' for pack fit.:)

RockDoc
05-09-2009, 20:07
Those whopping suspension systems are made to carry heavy loads, right?
But why would I want to carry a heavy load if I don't really have to (towns every 2-3 days for resupply)? And even then suffer the painful consequences on my knees, ankles, and feet... I don't even wanna go there (we did too much of that back in the 1970's).

Simplify your load and all you need is basically a rucksack, without a hip belt. Golite Breeze or equivalent.

Summit
05-09-2009, 22:40
Those whopping suspension systems are made to carry heavy loads, right?
But why would I want to carry a heavy load if I don't really have to (towns every 2-3 days for resupply)? And even then suffer the painful consequences on my knees, ankles, and feet... I don't even wanna go there (we did too much of that back in the 1970's).

Simplify your load and all you need is basically a rucksack, without a hip belt. Golite Breeze or equivalent.There are different setups for different occasions/purposes. Seems you're one-track minded toward a thru hike scenario. Lots of folks on WB are not thru hikers, never will be thru hikers, don't want to be thru hikers, but nevertheless enjoy the great sport of backpacking with a dose of recreating, camping, relaxing thrown in for good measure.

Some folks like Tipi Walter like to bring a week or more worth of food and camp out a while. I like to brew coffee, enjoy a good pipe, relax in my ThermaRest chair and wind down from the rat race corporate world I work in. No desire to see how fast and light I can go. In other words, I hike my own hike! :-?

Chaco Taco
05-09-2009, 23:13
There are different setups for different occasions/purposes. Seems you're one-track minded toward a thru hike scenario. Lots of folks on WB are not thru hikers, never will be thru hikers, don't want to be thru hikers, but nevertheless enjoy the great sport of backpacking with a dose of recreating, camping, relaxing thrown in for good measure.

Some folks like Tipi Walter like to bring a week or more worth of food and camp out a while. I like to brew coffee, enjoy a good pipe, relax in my ThermaRest chair and wind down from the rat race corporate world I work in. No desire to see how fast and light I can go. In other words, I hike my own hike! :-?
Good point! My backpack is much different than on my thru. I have things I like to have that I didnt have on my thru. Its all about your own preference.