PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike: Franconia Notch to Pinkham Notch

BostonAndy
05-09-2009, 12:28
Was wonder how long this section would take? Planning a couple of days with friends and want to see if it can be done with in a week.

modiyooch
05-09-2009, 13:49
took me 2.5 from crawford to pinkham. I was planning for 2; therefore i spent the night at Osgood without a tent. thankfully, it was a starry night. snow earlier that day. hit the wall on the last couple of miles out.

same thing with pinkham to gorham. Hoped for 2, but it took 2.5 Brought my tent this time. almost hung up my boots for good on mile 6 but the good people at the hut redeemed the situation. I know you are not asking about this section, but my point is prepare for the terrain and conditions. nh kicks butt. I'll be back soon, though, for more. I'm interested in the answer for Franconia to Crawford.

Typically, I hike 2 miles/hr in NC. I was prepared for the weather; I just wasn't prepared for the terrain. It was absolutely beautiful.

Blissful
05-09-2009, 14:23
Depends on your friends, their stamina, etc. I'd give it 3 days. If not staying at huts, plan accordingly. There are RMC shelters and sites also off trail.

Kerosene
05-09-2009, 16:06
Hikerhead and I went from Glencliff to Pinkham Notch in 7 full hiking days, but we had perfect hiking weather. Consider this schedule:

Night 1: Liberty Srping Tentsite (2.3 miles straight up)
2: Galehead Hut (10.4 miles, including 5 miles across Franconia Ridge)
3: Ethan Pond Campstie (12.2)
4: Mizpah Hut (9.5)
5: Madison Spring Hut (11.8 over Mt. Washington)
6: Pinkham Notch (6.8)

You could also split Day 5 into two pieces with a short day to Mizpah Hut.

The Old Fhart
05-09-2009, 16:11
Blissful-"Depends on your friends, their stamina, etc. I'd give it 3 days..."Franconia to Pinkham is almost 64 miles over some very rough terrain. 3 days for a section hike is out but if the weather isn't that bad, 7 days would be doable.

Kirby
05-09-2009, 16:55
7 days is doable. It will be easier to cover miles once on the ridgelines, coming out of the notches, not matter which notch, is a supreme pain.