PDA

View Full Version : North Adams to The Inn at Killington.

hawkeye
05-09-2009, 13:26
My plans changed again! I am planning hiking from North Adams to The Inn at Killington.It will be around Mid July. Around 102 miles. Has anyone done this section?
What time frame am I looking at? I am a OK hiker. planning on 10 days or less. Thanks for any info,
Greg

Jeff
05-09-2009, 13:58
You have picked a beautiful section. Two fire towers and other scenic overlooks will give you lots to enjoy. Also, several ponds are along the way with swimming possibilities. There are 3 shelters in that section that have an overnight fee to camp....but, it is a small price to pay.

hawkeye
05-09-2009, 14:05
Do you think 10 days is enough time? I'm planning to hike out from pico lodge the last day and head to Rutland to get home.

mark schofield
05-09-2009, 14:11
I did that same walk last fall. If you plan on a resupply stop along the way, Manchester Ctr. is at about the half way point with two convenient shelters (Spruce Peak and Bromley) close to rt. 11 which is an easy hitch. A mall with an outfitter, price grabber, chinese restaurant or pizza, and an easy uphill to Bromley. Have a nice walk.

mark schofield
05-09-2009, 14:15
Pico to route 4 is an easy one hour or so down to route 4. Although I haven't used it, I've read that there is a buss from the in at the long trail (where you will end up if you stay at Pico) that goes into Rutland.

Rockhound
05-09-2009, 15:49
The bus into Rutland is $2 at the Longtrail inn, and 10 miles a day in this section is easy peasy. You might even consider staying at the Inn at Lontrail. Get one of the jacuzzi rooms and enjoy some great Irish music at the bar. Probably save some money compared to the Inn at Killington. (or are we talking about the same place?). Again this section is not that tough. You can knock it out in a week

hawkeye
05-09-2009, 16:02
The bus into Rutland is $2 at the Longtrail inn, and 10 miles a day in this section is easy peasy. You might even consider staying at the Inn at Lontrail. Get one of the jacuzzi rooms and enjoy some great Irish music at the bar. Probably save some money compared to the Inn at Killington. (or are we talking about the same place?). Again this section is not that tough. You can knock it out in a week

Do you know if there is a bus to White River Juction? And yes,The long Trail Inn. on Rt4

Rockhound
05-09-2009, 16:12
Is that the town to the west when you come out by the Inn at longtrail? If so, yes. The bus makes the loop several times a day. the schedule is posted in the lobby of the inn.

Tinker
05-09-2009, 23:03
White River Junction is to the east of the Inn. I have no idea if buses run that way, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you could get a ride from someone staying at the Inn.

Scott3
05-10-2009, 00:20
Employees of the Inn at Long Trail will do shuttles.....just call ahead and allow them time to plan and staff for it.

stranger
05-10-2009, 03:06
10 days is plenty of time for this section, the terrain is relatively easy compared to northern Vermont, and the first time I made this trip we were easily doing 12-15 mile days with 40lb packs and a strong lack of inexperience. Obviously it's Vermont and there are some mountains there, but it's a nice walk, with some great peaks. If you are headed north, big peaks like Killington is a cake walk, but smaller peaks like Styles Peak for example is a tough little grind, the climb up Bromley is probably worth mentioning as well.

We hiked from North Adams to Killington in 8 hiking days (took a day off in town), and we had heavy packs and no experience back then. I did the section a few years later and rolled into the Inn at LT around 6pm on day 7, so it just depends on what kinda hike you want to have and whether or not you take a day off in Manchester Center.

It's a real nice section, have a good hike.

hawkeye
05-10-2009, 11:42
Thanks for the info. My wife is going to meet me at the Long Trail inn. Nice way to end the hike. I'm planning on 9 days to enjoy it. We will spend a night at the inn then she wants to go to The Vermont country Store! (ugh)

vonfrick
05-10-2009, 14:44
9 days is more than enough. have a great time!

Cabin Fever
05-10-2009, 20:21
I am doing Clarendon Gorge to Bennington in the July 20-24 timeframe. See you out there.

Dawn
05-10-2009, 22:40
Yes, I agree with everyone. You'll have no trouble making it in that time. When Pootz and I came through we hiked up to Killington and rode the gondola down and then back up the mountain and then hiked back down to the trail. It was a fun diversion. Then stew and a guinness at the Inn...yum!

peakbagger
05-11-2009, 15:32
Just in case you arent aware, many folks do the blue blaze along the ridge between Killington and Pico via the old AT route rather than the new relocation that swings west of the ridge and then back up the hill again. The pay off is that you end up at the Inn on the Long Trail.

Peaks
05-11-2009, 16:48
The Long Trail Guidebook has estimated hiking times between shelters. So, you can figure out just how far you want to hike each day, and confirm the estimated duration of your trip.