PDA

View Full Version : How to get home from The Inn on the long Trail

hawkeye
05-09-2009, 15:36
Hi, any locals from Vt here that can help me? I plan to end my hike at The Inn on the Long Trail. The thing is I am trying to get back to Boston.I guess there is a bus service to Rutland,but no Greyhound service out of Rutland. Does anyone know if a local bus heads down RT 7 to Williamstown,Ma? The other way is trying to get to White River Juction and getting a Greyhound Bus from there to Boston. I called a taxi service and they want $75 from the Inn to WRJ! Thanks for any help,
Greg

mooseboy
05-09-2009, 17:42
No Greyhound in Rutland, but the Ethan Allen Express runs once a day on Amtrak:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321921&ssid=134

If you need to get to Boston, I believe you can then change to a Boston-bound Amtrak bus at Albany, or switch to a regular Greyhound at that point...

They used to have a train that connected Albany to Boston called the Lake Shore Limited, but even though it shows up on Amtrak's website, it isn't listed as an option when making plans. You may have to call.

Still, though, Amtrak will get you as far as Albany (or NYC, but I'm guessing you don't want to go that far south).

Good luck!

mooseboy
05-09-2009, 17:52
Just checked on Amtrak out of curiosity, and normally the Lake Shore Limited WOULD run trains from Albany to Boston, but they're doing track work, and so replacing them with Amtrak buses until about May 26.

I don't know what date you're planning to finish, but Rutland-Albany seems to cost $30, and Albany-Boston another $23. And the trip can all be done in one day-- the only catch is, you have to book the legs separately, or Amtrak will only offer you a route that involves NYC, which costs over $120!!

Good luck!

hawkeye
05-10-2009, 11:38
Solved the problem. Talked my wife to come up to stay at the Long Trail inn.