PDA

View Full Version : Parking near / at Rockfish Gap

spunky
06-15-2004, 19:14
Planning a hike from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry. Where is a safe place to leave a car near Rockfish Gap or at Harpers Ferry?

Thanks for your help,
Spunky

Kerosene
06-15-2004, 22:21
I've left my car in the parking lot right at the road crossings for a week without incident.

Alternatively, there is a motel at the top of the hill where you might be allowed to leave your car, especially if you stay there a night. They give discounts to hikers and you can leave a food cache there if you're hiking through.

Another alternative would be to leave your car down the hill in Waynesboro and catch a shuttle up to Rockfish Gap.

kncats
06-16-2004, 06:31
The Harper's Ferry National Historical Park will let you park at the visitor's center for a $5 fee for up to two weeks. The parking lot is locked up at night. You need to register at the visitor center also.

Kerosene
06-16-2004, 10:05
Sorry, I didn't fully read your post, Spunky. As Kncats notes, there's a lot of parking at the Park Visitor's Center in Harper's Ferry, plus there's a guard tending the area. I parked there for a week in September 2001 and it worked out well except that I wanted to walk the Trail through town to the footbridge to Maryland and had to backtrack to the Visitor's Center a few miles.

spunky
06-16-2004, 18:07
Thanks for the info; I'll feel better knowing the car should be safe.:sun

VAMTNHIKER
06-17-2004, 07:04
The best parking at Rockfish Gap is right at the Visitors Information Center. The volunteers have a clipboard where you can list your vehicle(s) so they have an idea each day which ones should be there. Most of the spots are within sight of the volunteer desk. There are also two motels and a HoJo's that are out of business with plenty of parking... not sure if you would get tagged/towed from those spots.

Did Reed's Gap to Rockfish Gap for a leisurely two nighter with my older scouts Jan 2-4th ... perfect weather... actually were down to shorts and T's... :sun

a year earlier in St Mary's Wilderness we were camping in the mid-20's!

Skyline
06-17-2004, 10:27
The Inn at Afton (former Holiday Inn) is a good place to park at Rockfish Gap. You don't have to stay there, but you do need to register with the desk clerk who will advise you exactly where to park. Seems better to me than parking at the abandoned Hojo's or the sometimes-open other motels.

If you park at the Harpers Ferry Visitor Center up near the highway, you can use the shuttle bus to get down to the historic center of HF or vice versa. Just be aware that they lock the parking lot gate at 5pm, and time the end of your hike accordingly. If hiking NOBO from either Blackburn Center or David Lessor Shelter into HF, should not be a problem for most hikers doing something in the 2mph or faster range. Just catch the aforementioned bus to get up to the parking lot upon your arrival in HF.

trailfinder
10-16-2005, 19:19
Thanks for the information. This helps!

The best parking at Rockfish Gap is right at the Visitors Information Center. The volunteers have a clipboard where you can list your vehicle(s) so they have an idea each day which ones should be there. Most of the spots are within sight of the volunteer desk. There are also two motels and a HoJo's that are out of business with plenty of parking... not sure if you would get tagged/towed from those spots.

Did Reed's Gap to Rockfish Gap for a leisurely two nighter with my older scouts Jan 2-4th ... perfect weather... actually were down to shorts and T's... :sun

a year earlier in St Mary's Wilderness we were camping in the mid-20's!

tacodog
12-18-2013, 14:58
any updates on where or where not to park at Rockfish Gap. Is it still ok to park on parkway overnight? I have been by the area quite a bit but have never stopped to look around lately as far as the info center or motel area. good idea bad idea?

Scott3
12-18-2013, 16:19
I've used the Inn at Afton the last 2 years for section hikes. Free parking, just check in with the office and fill out a short form.

johnnybgood
12-18-2013, 16:28
As far as I know the Inn at Afton is still a good place to leave a vehicle for overnight hikes.
Simply go to the front reservation desk and ask if they still allow hikers to park in their lower lot
If they do ask for a waiver form to fill out. It's been a few years since I've actually left a car there overnight but had no issues when returning from my hike.

tacodog
12-18-2013, 22:47
ok thanks for the info

flemdawg1
12-20-2013, 15:53
I parked at the trail parking lot there on the BRP. The SNP ranger at the gate assured me that it was regularly patrolled. 3 days later I returned and my car was fine.

Roamin
05-02-2016, 11:12
I was looking to see if anyone had some updated information on parking at Rockfish Gap.

GoldenBear
05-02-2016, 11:54
I doubt that this info has changed much in the last couple years
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/55285-Rockfish-Gap?p=1896799&highlight=rockfish+gap#post1896799

When I spent one night here
https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/maryland/knoxville/harpers-ferry
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/94611-HI-Hostel-near-Harper-s-Ferry?highlight=
I was allowed to park for a few days at no charge.
This place is VERY accommodating to AT backpackers.
However, it is NOT easy to get from The Trail to the hostel. Indeed, the directions I gave in my posting a few years ago no longer apply. You'll have to walk along a road that is far from ideal, safety-wise, for walkers.