PDA

View Full Version : Stink or Swim?

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 08:31
I'm attempting to thru-hike in 2010 and just wondering how you all maintain proper hygiene along the trail until you hit a town with bathing arrangements? No stranger to weeks on end without a shower, just wondering what to expect!

Egads
05-10-2009, 08:35
Wash off with a small towel, swim in the swimming holes, shower in the rain storms

Tagless
05-10-2009, 08:51
My wife and I are currently thru hiking. We carry a modified (i.e. hose was cut down to 5 inches) lightweight Platypus shower attachment, (http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=pla0006) and typically use it every 2-3 days. As Egads mentioned. a simple sponge bath gets the job done well too.

Why bother? Some type of daily clean-up most days really helps minimize chaffing and keeps our sleeping bags much cleaner. Our winter sleeping bags were just sent home, and, after 530 miles don't need to be laundered yet.

Mrs Baggins
05-10-2009, 08:56
Something like baby wipes. Coleman has their own brand, anti-bacterial, for camping/hiking. The package is pretty heavy though so you'd have to split them out into zip locks or something.

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 08:58
Wash off with a small towel, swim in the swimming holes, shower in the rain storms

Got it. Will be stationed at Robins, AFB just 2 hours South of Atlanta this coming August. (retiring 6 months later) Maybe we can hook-up for a hike? :-?

World-Wide
05-10-2009, 09:02
My wife and I are currently thru hiking. We carry a modified (i.e hose was cut down to 5 inches) lightweight Platypus shower attachment, (http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=pla0006) and typically use it every 2-3 days. As Egads mentioned. a simple sponge bath gets the job done well too.

Why bother? Some type of daily clean-up most days really helps minimize chaffing and keeps our sleeping bags much cleaner. Our winter sleeping bags were just sent home, and, after 530 miles don't need to be laundered yet.

Thanks for the info! Best of luck to you and your wife on the thru-hike!! :)

Hooch
05-10-2009, 09:13
Something like baby wipes. Coleman has their own brand, anti-bacterial, for camping/hiking. The package is pretty heavy though so you'd have to split them out into zip locks or something.
Don't sweat the weight of these. Dry them out and repackage in a Ziplock, then wet a couple when ready to use with warm or cool water as you prefer.

Grinder
05-10-2009, 09:26
on my last hike a month ago I carried a pack of towelets and Tom's deoderant.

At the 3/4 day point where I became aware of the increasing stench, I would scrub out the pits with a towelet and apply the deoderant. It was quite effective.

I also saw "Spurticus" taking a "shower" under a storm drain under the trail that had about 8 feet under the end with a nice flow.

It was a chilly day and I'm from florida. It would have killed me, but I'll bet he felt better afterward.